It's begun!

T

tonyb6000

The long deliberated Huey Diorama has begun. I considered doing it all, then putting the finished pics up, but where's the fun in that? :wink:

Some man hours have already been spent. Fettling has happened. I'm trying to stay true to the iconic design of the Huey but have had to tweak some bits for aesthetic reasons.

Here are some pics, with some of the reference material too. Is that dangerous? Showing you what it's meant to look like?

The plan is to model the Huey "Dumping ass in a hot LZ". The base will be too small to include any VC/NVA as it has to be 1:1 uPVC scale ie.windowsill width!

Bring on the rotor wash!

Tony B

View attachment 21740

View attachment 21741

View attachment 21742

View attachment 21743

View attachment 21744

View attachment 21745

View attachment 21746

View attachment 21747

Huey-01.jpg

Ia_Drang_Infantry_disembarking_from_Helicopter.jpg

Huey-02.jpg

Huey-03.jpg

Huey-04.jpg

2768053360092702542S600x600Q85.jpg

2523724820092702542S600x600Q85.jpg

2358182840092702542S600x600Q85.jpg

D

dubster72

That's coming together really well Tony-you've got that worn look spot on. Good level of detail in the kit too.

Thats an advantage of Vietnam & post dios coz you get a lot of good pics-and in colour too!

Patrick

T

tonyb6000

Yeah, but I'm having timeline issues. Me and my dad have a long running argument, about his model railway. He doesn't weather his buildings. I say it looks odd, he points out that in 1920 they were brand new. Same with the Huey. The walkaround is nearly 40 years old. Huey's were put into service for Vietnam. I figure the Air Cav gave 'em a bit of stick!

Cheers for the nice words. Had to take a break from photo-etch cramp! Some details I added, cables for pedals, dash mouldings etc. I butchered the seats to make them look folded away, as there's massive variation in the references about whether to remove them or not. I figured folded up would give more room for the GI's, but more details for me!

F

Fenlander

This s going to be interesting. Great idea for the action diorama. there really is some stunning ground work going on around here.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Tony,

This is looking good so far. What scale is it?

Gern

PS If this is going on the window sill, mind out for the curtains! I've had repairs to do in the past 'cos I've left bits drying in the sun and SWMBO hasn't noticed! It's amazing how far the bits travel when they've hit the floor and bounced.

T

tonyb6000

Good point Gern. Scale is 1:35. Overall model should be about half a metre when done. Don't worry, I got no curtains. I'm already regreting not scratch building the seats out of stretched balloons! Save that for after the inevitable nose dive.

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Looking forward seeing this one done Tony, love the UH-1. From the looks of the pics so far it's going to be great, weathering is spot on too.

Have fun, John

T

tonyb6000

Cheers John. Faux blood stains looked ok wet, but have dried to ribena. Will have to darken down abit. Have become a bit obsessed with UH-1's recently. Sinced I moved in next to the army base. :BoomSmilie_anim:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi tony this looks great,cant wait to see the dio progress , ill be glued to the screen. (really must be more careful with the superglue!!) cheers tony

T

tonyb6000

Paintus Pilot

OK, this is how I started painting the pilots.

First, airbrushed base coat of black.

Then, blocked in the main colours with Tamiya and Citadel acrylics.

Couple of quick washes, mostly blacky-browns.

Bit of detail work to shadows on faces and picked out some details on figures.

Put them back in the helicopter where they will be safe to dry overnight and I'll start some highlighting next time.

Couple of extra references for you. Such iconic images.

Those of you paying attention will notice the canvas seats in the back of the chopper now have "creases" added with paint and a steady hand!

Cheers for looking, comments please.

Tony B

View attachment 21776

View attachment 21777

View attachment 21778

View attachment 21779

View attachment 21780

View attachment 21781

View attachment 21782

View attachment 21783

Huey-02..jpg

Huey-03..jpg

Huey-04..jpg

Huey-06..jpg

Huey-05..jpg

Huey-07..jpg

Huey-01..jpg

Huey-08..jpg

P

Paul1978

Alright Tony

I'm impressed with your work. You have the colours and contrast spot on and you can see you've put a lot of work into your project. Am looking forward to the finished peice.

Cheers

Paul

T

tonyb6000

Slow Progress

Managed another session tonight. Added some highlights to the pilots and some details (boom mics, tattoos, sleeve insignia, helmet graffiti etc.). They are becoming real characters now. The senior guy doing the tricky drop in the hot LZ with the cocky jockey spotting for muzzle flashes in the tree line.

Also had my first outing with PE harnesses. Only managed the one. Can't believe that took ten pieces of brass! Fiddly bugger. Quick first aid tip! If you slip and put your scalpel into your thumb, don't mess around with big ugly plasters, just pop a drop of superglue on it. It's what it was designed for you know.

Anyway, took a few snaps before I put them to bed,see what you think:

View attachment 21832

View attachment 21833

View attachment 21834

View attachment 21835

Huey-04-2..jpg

Huey-02-2..jpg

Huey-01-2..jpg

Huey-03-2..jpg

T

tonyb6000

BTW have now found Super Macro mode on the camera, which is showing up flaws that I can't see with my eyes! I'm off to sand down those canvas seat backs.

Tony B

R

Richy C

Don`t know how I missed this one , looking superb Tony the weathering is spot on mate

Vietnam dio - I like it

Richy

T

tonyb6000

I know richy. In fact, I am thinking of asking for my account deleting as no replied to my thread between 1am and 9am this morning lol!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
This is getting really good now, Tony...Couple of swell looking dudes.

Well done.

F

Fenlander

That is the trouble with real close up pics. You end up posting images that show it much bigger than in real life. Don't get too bogged down with that, drybrushing can look superb to the eye but on extreme close up, it can look really terrible.. Coming on really well.

T

tonyb6000

Dust Off!

Finished the other PE harness tonight and glued everybody in tight. Then remembered that I wanted to add the wires for the radios in the helmets. What a pain! Still, all done, will give it overnight to dry properly then try and adjust the 'sag' of the wires. I know it's time to stop now as I was adding text to the check list in the co-pilot's hand, and a drop shadow to the 'USA' on his helmet! Just to be sure I snipped out the fuselage and tried it for size and you guessed it, can't see any of these extras! Joy.

Treated myself to a desk lamp from the shed so my eyes don't hurt so much tonight!

Next step is top start putting the air frame together. Should speed up a bit hopefully, need to see some real progress.

Anyway, pics attached. Feeling lonely all the way down here in dioramas. Should have kept that one quiet 'til it actually happens...

Cheers

Tony B

View attachment 21838

View attachment 21839

View attachment 21840

View attachment 21841

Huey-04-3..jpg

Huey-03-3..jpg

Huey-02-3..jpg

Huey-01-3..jpg