It's begun!

D

dubster72

\ said:
I know richy. In fact, I am thinking of asking for my account deleting as no replied to my thread between 1am and 9am this morning lol!
you mean no-one replied during those hours when most people (modellers excluded!) are sleeping Tony?! I demand an enquiry at once! We need a 24 hour team to be watching for new posts! lol only kidding but this is a great build with fantastic detail. Don't worry if some of it isn't visible after construction, the satisfaction of knowing it's there is what counts ;) Patrick

N

noble

This is very very very nice the detail is lovely so far can't wait to see more.

scott

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Just had a chance to read through this thread. It's coming on very nicely,great job on the figures. There is something very evocative about these particular helicopters. I shall tune in for more.

Cheers

Steve

T

tonyb6000

Drab and blast...

Who's used Vallejo Air Olive Drab? Just blasted the Huey with it but it looks brown. It won't match my pot of brushing paint! Put so much on to see if it was the primer coming through that I pretty much disguised my pre-shading, bu@%er.

Can anyone recommend a more conventional version?

BTW, Huey has progressed this week but SWMBO has confiscated the camera in her handbag so I am restricted to phone photos. Yeah, they're rubbish...

Tony B

View attachment 22488

View attachment 22489

View attachment 22490

IMG_0323..jpg

IMG_0322..jpg

IMG_0321..jpg

T

tonyb6000

It don't look too bad on the pics actually, definitely worse in real life.

PJP

Peter/Pedro/Hey you
First Name
Peter
Huey info

You could do worse that to read "Chickenhawk" by Robert Mason.

It is an autobiography by a man who flew the Huey for the 1st Air Cavalry in Vietnam. Problem is, it'll slow your modelling down while you read some detailed information on the aircraft and its use!

Looking good so far.

Keep the pictures coming!!

Peter

T

tonyb6000

Cheers Peter.

I read Chickenhawk, that's how I ended up building the thing in the first place! Great minds...

BTW, doors are closed for masking purposes, they will be modelled open.

Last edited:
D

dubster72

I've found some Vallejo shades are not quite what they say on the bottle as well Tony. One is German tank ochre which is actually Olive green! Sounds like you could do with some of that!

Why not turn it to your advantage & use the browny colour as a base? Add some thinnish green to it & spray in the centre of the panels to give it a better tone & then add some tan/buff to give a faded look on upper surfaces?

Just a few thoughts... Good luck with it Patrick

T

tonyb6000

Good thinking Batman!

The painty conversion chart lists Model Air Olive Drab as Tamiya's Khaki Drab, and even Vallejo's own Model Color comparison is called Brown Violet.

Suspicious...

Last edited:

PJP

Peter/Pedro/Hey you
First Name
Peter
Green/brown?

Tony

That colour is not a long way adrift from the OG helos and vehicles I used when posted to the Colonial Army.

I was frequently surprised how brown Olive Green was.

I would take that as about right.

Peter

T

tonyb6000

Nice one Peter, that'll do for me. To be honest it's growing on me.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Tony

I've an idea to 'green' up your olive drab without resorting to more airbrushing. Try a green filter Mig productions produce a filter called 'Green for light green' - basically this will make the colour lean more toward the green blue which should bring the colour around. I used this trick on my sherman V because I felt the Life Color Olive Drab I used wasn't the British 'Bronze' Green I was after - worked a treat for me.

If you do try the filter please test first! I would not want to be responsible for ruining such a brilliant piece!

BTW - absolutely stunning build so far - brilliant! The crew have got some real personality.

Looking forward to seeing the completed bird.

Cheers

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Fenlander

Have to say it looks OK to me to, but I am no expert. Only real reference I have in my mind is the Vietnam war film/documentary on TV but I don't know if it is just me but I think all those films had a strange cast to them.

B

backonthecase

I'm part way through Mason's book as well! And I have the Academy 1:35 Heavy Hog gunship calling me from the stash! The OD is pretty mental across the brands of model paint! for example, if you look at Humbrol 66 it's grey, Humbrol 155 is brown and Tamiya XF-62 is murky green-brown! I doubt if anyone can say it's wrong (see my mini-rant over interior green on my Hellcat thread).

Great work so far! Can't wait to see this done :smiling3:

T

tonyb6000

Back from the dead

Hi all.

After a long absence I'm back and I thought I'd update you with a few snaps.

Since you last saw it, the Huey has had it's decals applied, then left for 7 months. On returning, the decals had lifted and I wasn't happy with the under-painting, so I stripped off the decals and started again. I redid the under-painting in black and top coated with olive drab, then mixed up a slightly lighter version and added it to the top surfaces for fading. I added a little to the centre of the larger panels too.

As I had ruined the original decal for the nose insignia, I cut one from vinyl at work and used it as a mask to spray the new one on. The masking removed some of the original paint but ho-hum, I'll touch it up into scratches later.

I started painting the fiddly bits of the rotor assembly, and gave them a light wash to tone down. More weathering and staining to come to try and distinguish between certain parts.

All the decals are soaking in Micro-sol to try and get them to sit down over the rivets. I don't like the look of it but I have faith!

Hope you like it.

Tony B

View attachment 28682

View attachment 28683

View attachment 28684

View attachment 28685

View attachment 28686

View attachment 28687

huey-6.jpg

huey-2.jpg

huey-7.jpg

huey-8.jpg

huey-5.jpg

huey-4.jpg

T

tonyb6000

Oh, and the skids have had a slap of metal ready to try the hairspray technique.

D

dm73

Lovely looking huey, i've got the dragon kit in the shed waiting for my skills to improve before i take it on, if it comes out half as good as yours i'll be a happy man

S

Sky Raider

Dont know how i missed this but it is a fantastic job your doing Tony, well done, looks real good.

Andy