Keeping notes

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Anyone else do this? When figure painting I jot down the colours I've used, as I use them. Great for replicating colours when you need them, and avoiding duplicating colour choices - it's too easy to wind up with skin, bone, linen, cotton, all made of the same few colours, all looking alike.

Must be applications for note-making when plastic modelling, too?
20221108_124034.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I keep notes on every build. I keep a sort of build diary. What paint etc I've used, new techniques tried and if they worked, jobs to do etc, etc. Useful to look back on.
I also keep a ring binder of all sorts of modelling tips and ideas etc which I pick up. For example Paul's idea of adding IPA to Milliput to create various types of filler will be written down in the filling section.
OCD geek aren't I :rolling:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have started to use Google keep for all kinds of things. Its a bit like sticky labels memo app but better.
It does not matter what you make the note on, PC, tablet or smart phone. you can read them on any of them.
I often note things down I am getting short on on my PC or laptop. then whilst shopping its easy enough to take my cell phone and look to see if there is other stuff I 'need'.
Best bit its free.

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Recording lots of notes on projects when I was working saved me and it is something I've taken to my modelling.

Being from an IT background I started earlier this year using Excel but quickly returned to a paper based system in an A4 clip folder.

I date every entry and also take photos which I then stored on my desktop in a build folder.

I found Excel good but find the paper system easier. I may regret this in the future when I can't go a global search on say where I used this paint etc

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
I used to take notes. I stopped when I realized I had to note to read my notes, starting a vicious spiraling phenomenon :smiling4::rolling::smiling6:. Maybe Matron have some medicament for this. :face-with-thermometer:
My garage is stratified with years of notebooks filled with info (mainly school or professional topics) I'll never read again. One day, I'm sure :rolling:, I'll burn them all (Mr. Race ..... ;)).

Andrea

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
any notes i take such as alternate paints get scribbled on the instructions............by the time ive finished the instructions are covered in squiggles, paint and glue so end up in the bin lol

only thing i keep tally of (in excel on the puter) is of what models ive bought or built in the year....start a new list every Jan 1st

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
One of the real pains at work was documentation - for ISO 9000, FMEA's, etc., all shared on Lotus Notes - I had to update my progress on Gantt charts on a regular basis. I vowed when I retired, I would not document anything , and I'm managing fairly well so far! I have to really scout around to find a pen & paper when I actually need them. The other day, I found my cheque book hiding in a drawer - the last date I wrote a cheque was 2018!
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
When I had less time, and did less modelling, I kept notes, mostly so I could match paint schemes I have used before. Now I have more time and paint or model virtually every day, I mostly don’t bother, only writing down less common skin combinations or such like. I’m sure I’ll regret it someday ;)

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
After thousands of years of refinement, I reckon pencil and paper still has the edge in flexibility and ease-of-use over electronic methods.

But it's funny how IT intervenes. We keep a wipe-clean shopping list board on the kitchen wall - use something up, scribble it down. Last thing before going shopping - take a smartphone pic of the list, do the shopping, then delete the pic and wipe the board. Works a treat.

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
For models I don’t note down colours used, shading, weathering etc. As once the model is finished that is it, and I am not worried if 2 different models built at different times in the same scheme are slightly different. But for Wargames figures where I can be painting figures for the same unit over a period I document the steps so they can be repeated and give uniformity (pun intended) to the formation.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I'm not a note taker. Just making it all up as I go along.
+1

Well, almost. I think about most things a lot before I actually do them, but I’ve never been able to take notes on just about anything. When I do, it’s generally beforehand, when I’ve worked out/looked up something important on my computer and it’s too complex to remember. So to make sure I get it right once in my modelling room, I write the important bits down or make sketches, but that’s it. Really, my notes for what I actually did to models (as opposed to what I planned to do) are what I write on forums like this one :smiling3:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
I too, am now like Mr. B (wotan), stated above. I used to write down the accessoire #'s on post-it notes related to my kits. Then I started using Scalemates and didn't need to anymore. I still write down measurements for scratchy work as the old brain ain't what it used to be. I have always forgotten my Tamiya paint mix ratio for my German dark yellow, so I finally posted it here on the forum. I think it's in my 1/2 track build somewhere...

I also made a spread sheet document on my laptop of the stash, but I seem to forget to add the new buys and to remove the stuff I've sold in evilbay......I'm hopeless I guess........................

Prost
Allen

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I use notes to collect info and keep it together until I need to get it. I have lists that have been sitting for a year collecting things before I spring into action. Basically I collect info collate it and keep it until needed.

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
One of the real pains at work was documentation - for ISO 9000, FMEA's, etc., all shared on Lotus Notes - I had to update my progress on Gantt charts on a regular basis. I vowed when I retired, I would not document anything , and I'm managing fairly well so far! I have to really scout around to find a pen & paper when I actually need them. The other day, I found my cheque book hiding in a drawer - the last date I wrote a cheque was 2018!
Dave
I can relate to not wanting to do documentation after being inundated with it in my career, especially in the latter years as regulations etc dictated more and more.

I have reduced my documentation in most parts of my life now I've stopped working and once I'm more experienced in modeling I'll drop it there too. For now it's more of a learning aid for me.

Mike

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I can relate to not wanting to do documentation after being inundated with it in my career, especially in the latter years as regulations etc dictated more and more.

I have reduced my documentation in most parts of my life now I've stopped working and once I'm more experienced in modeling I'll drop it there too. For now it's more of a learning aid for me.

Mike
Totally get that after being immersed in the pharmaceutical cGMP universe for well over thirty years. Thinking about it that way, working as I did may well have been why I kept notes. I was simply used to documenting everything I did. Now I’m retired I have broken the habit. Good post Mike!

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Totally get that after being immersed in the pharmaceutical cGMP universe for well over thirty years. Thinking about it that way, working as I did may well have been why I kept notes. I was simply used to documenting everything I did. Now I’m retired I have broken the habit. Good post Mike!
Fully understand that I spent 15 years working in a GLP certified lab for 15 years. Everything checked, recorded, logged, signed and dated.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Fully understand that I spent 15 years working in a GLP certified lab for 15 years. Everything checked, recorded, logged, signed and dated.
Yep, it’s a whole different world isn’t it. If it’s not written down, it’s a rumour, and if it’s not signed and dated, it’s graffiti ;) Did you have witnessed second checks on critical operations as well? Had a lot of arguments with the QA bods over those. They are supposed to be used only on steps that can’t be proven any other way (such as witnessed critical chemical additions, ie did it go in or not?), but they wanted them in just to make sure the operators did their jobs properly, like pressing a mixer start button at the right time.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
This is one thing I going to use, I far too often forget to do something, on KGV, forgetting to add PE for example, sailed on merrily then D'oh! Also I often spray parts then realise I had not done many others in the same colour!!