Keeping notes

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
This is one thing I going to use, I far too often forget to do something, on KGV, forgetting to add PE for example, sailed on merrily then D'oh! Also I often spray parts then realise I had not done many others in the same colour!!
I write notes on the instruction sheets for that Bob, only crossing them out when they are done.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I write notes on the instruction sheets for that Bob, only crossing them out when they are done.
I have only just started doing that, tad late!! Normally i can build a StuG on auto pilot but a ship Noooo, so will try a notebook

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Yep, it’s a whole different world isn’t it. If it’s not written down, it’s a rumour, and if it’s not signed and dated, it’s graffiti ;) Did you have witnessed second checks on critical operations as well? Had a lot of arguments with the QA bods over those. They are supposed to be used only on steps that can’t be proven any other way (such as witnessed critical chemical additions, ie did it go in or not?), but they wanted them in just to make sure the operators did their jobs properly, like pressing a mixer start button at the right time.
Yes, key points had to be double checked and QA were an almighty pain in the proverbial, far more of a problem than the GLP inspectors from the authorities.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Yes, key points had to be double checked and QA were an almighty pain in the proverbial, far more of a problem than the GLP inspectors from the authorities.
That was their job, to be fair, the QP signing off was legally responsible for the quality of the product after all……
As to inspectors we got the MHRA, the FDA, and the Japanese FDA regularly so had at least one major audit per year. I expect the European FDA is now included after Brexit. The FDA, for example, sent in four to six investigators for two weeks. They had the attitude that you were hiding things and they were going to find out what they were (hence called investigators not inspectors). One year they inspected about three thousand different documents!
For about the last twenty years my role was to be wheeled in front of the auditors to explain why any anomalies were not a problem to my part of the process…..quite stressful to some, but I just treated it like part of the job, and actually got on quite well with some of them. Got quite good at “time wasting” when hosting as well. After all, while they were talking to me they weren’t trying to find fault elsewhere :tongue-out3:

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The most expensive thing we use is time, so get organised and save some young Allen….
This is true. However...

I often find myself in a reverie at the bench, thinking deeply about nothing in particular. Just looking, looking, looking at what I'm (supposed to be) working on.

This feels like a massive waste of time. But thinking deeply about what we do (and waiting for ideas to form about how we might do it) is an important part of the process, surely?

But note-making is still, for me, absolutely essential.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
I keep a file on the pc with all photos of the build, plus notes/sketches on the drawings if I am scratchbiulding. But if it is a kit having modifications again I keep photo's on file but make notes on the instructions.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
True words there Paul...I also spend time thinking about the next step or what should be painted first before adding it, etc...My latest build is a complete resin kit, so thinking ahead is a must. Sometimes I do more thinking about it, than actually gluing bits together.........

Prost
Allen

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
True words there Paul...I also spend time thinking about the next step or what should be painted first before adding it, etc...My latest build is a complete resin kit, so thinking ahead is a must. Sometimes I do more thinking about it, than actually gluing bits together.........

Prost
Allen
And more bottle opening.....

Panzerwrecker

SMF Supporter
First Name
Los
Being a forgetful sort of chap, I do document some of my projects. Not quite in the 'Memento' film style but still quite comprehensively to paper. I tried doing it electronically but planned obsolesce pretty much screws that up over time:rolling:

If I’m interested in a subject, I note down a set of goals and go about sourcing material and then look at the kit options (Stalemates is great for this)

Next up is build fixes and tips. These are usually written on the instructions but occasionally I will add a page or two. For any incomplete builds simply highlighting parts on the instruction sheet helps immensely. I keep every instruction sheet for every built model I have made in a little file.

I also have a few step-by-step sheets laminated for different types of builds. Building only AFV's narrows that list down and although comprehensive it is easy just to skip stages but essential for not missing any.

TBH, over time the most beneficial results from note taking is to replicate colour mixes or weathering processes.