King Caractacus 1st Cent A.D.

P

Paul P

Hi all

heres some pics of a bust im sculpting, this is going to be King Caractacus of the Catuvillauni tribe, if you havnt heard of him check him out, fabulous story

It will be about 200mm and mostly made from Sculpey putty and milliput. For the face ive gone for a boxer/rugby player look, pronounced forehead, broken nose that kind of thing.

So started with a lump of sculpey and marked out the eye, nose and lip lines and then had at it with tools and fingers until i got this

As you can see loads to do, shape the jaw line and add ears, which i find quite difficult for some reason. I also have to think of a suitable pose which i havnt done yet, im hoping the head will give me the inspiration :sad: . He will of course have a massive moustache and long hair, posiibly with platts.

As usual any and all comments / suggestions are welcome.

Paul

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
oh wow Paul that is a great start, will be following this one, think i will take a back seat and just watch and lean from you :rolleyes:

and ask 5o mil question ,opps see there i go :eek:

its just great to see how you do things i find it so interesting and enjoyable,

with the Sculpey putty, when adding more do you need to add a bit off water to both surfaces for it to bond ? to each other

P

Paul P

Hi Moni, thanks for looking in. Sculpey putty is great, it only hardens when heated so i can work it as long as i need to, when you add a bit more you dont need any water, just work it a bit in your fingers until its soft, and then it blends in seamlessly.

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Very interesting paul never heard of this sculpey putty where do you get it from and how much is it you say heat to cure or would it eventually set if left.your models face looks like he's lived abit very interesting as usual I will be watching this keep up the great work cheers John

P

Paul P

Hi John, i get mine from evil bay and its about £6.00 for a big block of it, ive done 4 sculpts from one block and i still have a bit left. to cure it you just bung it in the oven on 120 degrees for 15 mins per 6mm of thickness, dont over bake it or it becomes brittle. it wont cure without heat which is great, if your not happy with the ay things are shaping you just mush it up and start again :smiling3:

H

Harry Labanville

all together now

now the ladies of the court of King Caractacus were just passing by

oh the ........

P

Polux

Your skills never stop to surprise me Paul :rolleyes:

I'm sure you will do a magnificent work, as always ;)

Polux

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
hi Paul, thank you for the info ,as i did get a little to try, out working with, the prints so small i cannot read it :oops::rolleyes:

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Think I'm going to get some and have a mess around with it.my faces will more than likely end up as sand bags or stowage for tanks etc but I'm a great believer in trying everything once I have used air clay before is it very similar or more workable cheers for your help john

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Hi again paul it's me again sorry to pester you but is this the right stuff before I order it I was thinking of having ago at replicating one of my figures lol should be entertaining if nothing else got to start somewhere I guess thanks for your help ooo and will I need anything else cheers John View attachment 79957

image.jpg

P

Paul P

Yes mate thats the one, they do a super sculpey firm as well, but it is very firm and suitable for carving, the instructions for it are normally inside but it works out that you bung it in the oven at 120 degrees for 15 mins

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
hi Paul i have a question :confused: for you about the sculpey, if you are only using very thin bits or strips, would you be able to set it with a hair dryer on plastic :rolleyes:

as if so , i was thinking, that it would be easy than most off the putties to work with :D

P

Paul P

Hi Moni only if your hairier gets up to 120 degrees. I think the only way to do

It is in the oven

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
hi Paul, it was just an idea to use for filling and remoulding parts which would only be a few mm thick, maybe i should give it a try and they do get hot ,

but back to you looking forward to the next update, find your work fascinating :rolleyes:

P

Paul P

Moni if your using it on plastic i would use milliput, you dont have to heat it and you have several hours before it goes hard, it is also very good on fine detail and can be sanded

P

Paul P

Moved on with this, ive done the ears, moustache and started on the hair. He will have a platt on either side at the front and possibly one at the back, so the right side is done and then i started adding hair in strands and then detailing each strand

I wont be baking the head until ive done the body, that way i can position and shape it to how i want and then fire it

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Great work there paul but abit eerie with all those heads rolling around on your bench ordered my putty today when I fail at sculpting I can think of all other kinds of uses so it won't go to waste my only experience of this was at school along time ago I remember doing a few pots and in particular a face mask had to make a mold of my face straw up each nostril and one in my mouth anyway cheers for the inspiration John

P

Paul P

John i have heads, legs, arms and god knows what clogging up me bench, bout time i had a clear out. I dont think there are many people that have a natural talent for sculpting much the same as painting. Fortunately i have always been quite good at drawing and painting, the sculpting is something ive picked up over the last few years and it mainly started from doing conversions, you change an arm here a leg there and pretty soon you just make yer own. the trouble is its starting to take over and i have less time to paint, i need to find a happy medium.......and thats not a clairvoyant with 2 crystal balls :D