Kit complexity?

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
I guess that if I'm going to be making many more, then it's going to be buy in another set of watch tweezers (current modelling ones are just about fine enough for the kits I've done, and I'm not going to use my watch ones for modelling), swap out the 2.5x for 3.5x lenses and crack on.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I think that it's the Tamiya 35020 kit (from what I can see in the shop) - it's one that my youngest son bought & made, so yes, probably around the '90s, with the guy leaping out of the back!
No. 35020 would be the old kit from the 1970s, of the Ausf. C — the one where the rear of the hull slopes outward at the top and inward at the bottom. The Ausf. D had a hull rear that slopes inward all the way from the top.

[/quote]I get your point with what you're saying - they release a kit, then they put out a mk2, or (as I've noticed with the Protze) one towing a gun, with slightly different specs.
[/QUOTE]
That’s what I meant to be wary of, yes: they add a towed gun, or a small sprue with some additional parts for a minor variant, or new figures, or something similar to what’s essentially a very old kit, and then call it a new one. The basic kit will still have the same (lack of) accuracy, of course. But then they sometimes also release a completely new kit of much the same subject, that’s far better detailed.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
No. 35020 would be the old kit from the 1970s, of the Ausf. C — the one where the rear of the hull slopes outward at the top and inward at the bottom. The Ausf. D had a hull rear that slopes inward all the way from the top.

I get your point with what you're saying - they release a kit, then they put out a mk2, or (as I've noticed with the Protze) one towing a gun, with slightly different specs.
That’s what I meant to be wary of, yes: they add a towed gun, or a small sprue with some additional parts for a minor variant, or new figures, or something similar to what’s essentially a very old kit, and then call it a new one. The basic kit will still have the same (lack of) accuracy, of course. But then they sometimes also release a completely new kit of much the same subject, that’s far better detailed.
I got the wrong kit number - it was the 35195 kit, so probably later, but looking at the 'detailing' of stuff, got 3 different 'quality' from over the years/kits that we've done - going down in 'quality' from top to bottom an 'entrenching spade' with the knife/short sword attached
IMG_20210311_120701879~2.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 5496

A number of points.

Most nanufactures give the number of parts. That is a good clue.

Scale is another. Greater number of parts & complexity in 1/32 than a 1/72 with midway 1/48.

Type of model. Last year or so I have been producing airliners at 1/72. They are much more intricate than a 1/72 military craft. Paint work is very much more complicated.

You make the complexity. Most models are about the same. Make it more interesting & complex then add after bits & pieces plus PE.

In the end if you can reasonably stick things together & fill & smooth then that is it. You can tackle anything. The techniques are the most important parts. Getting them is the more difficult work & that is only achieved with experience.

Laurie

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After looking through two pages of postings - I would say " don't overthink things" - just get that model bought and have at it! Making a model ( and perhaps making a hash of it ) is the way to define your comfort level!
Dave

D

Deleted member 5496

After looking through two pages of postings - I would say " don't overthink things" - just get that model bought and have at it! Making a model ( and perhaps making a hash of it ) is the way to define your comfort level!
Dave
Agree Dave in at the deep end. Always the dustbin in the yard :tongue-out3: :rolling:;)

Laurie

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
As has been said pick something you fancy in your price range and give it a go take your time try fit until your happy then glue. If your not sure just ask and some one will know or give sage advice. You are the only person you have to please with the build.