Kuri, 1/10th bust

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
From Black Crow Miniatures. This is a beautiful sculpt. Super detailed, very clean and the parts-fit is excellent. It comes with two right arms, one occupied by a raptor, the other by a dragonette. Totally undecided which to go with, so I may well paint them both in the hope the decision makes itself.
20221129_163749.jpg20221129_152736.jpg20221129_153421.jpg20221129_153434.jpg20221129_163506.jpg20221129_163527.jpg20221129_163551.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Another interest sculpt here then Paul. Personally, I prefer the raptor (looks like a peregrine to me) to the dragonet. That’s just too discworld……

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
She's got MASSIVE eyes - straightforward to paint, albeit with lots of breath-holding. Some further refinement needed, but great eyes to paint!
20221129_195738.jpg
She's a tiny bit cross-eyed, but she's supposed to be looking at the animal on her wrist. That's my excuse, anyway.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking good Paul. The eyes have it :tongue-out3:

Not sure if it just me, but something I’ve never understood…..why is one eye harder to paint than the other? Even here, where access is absolutely clear, if I painted it one eye would be harder to paint than the other. I’ve even turned them upside down to make the angles the same and it still doesn’t help…….

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking good Paul. The eyes have it :tongue-out3:

Not sure if it just me, but something I’ve never understood…..why is one eye harder to paint than the other? Even here, where access is absolutely clear, if I painted it one eye would be harder to paint than the other. I’ve even turned them upside down to make the angles the same and it still doesn’t help…….
Not my experience Tim, not at all. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that I invariably find one eye is much easier to paint than the other.

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I think I've got a palette of colours for the face and hands.
20221129_215353.jpg
I've only recently realised that I can place tiny drops of paint controllably on the palette if I shake the paint down to the nozzle before taking the lid off.

A little paint goes a long way.

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I think I've got a palette of colours for the face and hands.
View attachment 468183
I've only recently realised that I can place tiny drops of paint controllable on the palette if I shake the paint down to the nozzle before taking the lid off.

A little paint goes a long way.
Interesting palette there Paul. Brown Rose is my go to colour for lips on the little blokes……I usually get burnt cadmium red and a blue in there somewhere…….

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I'm going to do some more work on the eyes (despite that usually resulting in ruination of the work I've already done on them), as I realised I can do better.

I recently replaced my size 0 Raphael 8404 like for like, after I noticed the tip on my original was sub-par. I thought I'd painted the eyes with the new one, and was annoyed that the tip on this one was also a bit rubbish. Then I realised I was using the old brush. I switched to the new one and the difference was remarkable - there really is no substitute for a good quality brush in tip-top condition.

Now watch me muck things up...

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
First bash at skin tones. Pretty rough, but I feel I'm getting there.
20221130_200621.jpg
I just bought myself a dedicated hobby hairdryer, and Wow! what a difference it makes. Before now I've had to run upstairs to use the missus' dryer, which meant I tended not to bother. When glazing it'd be "yeah, that's dry enough" and I'd drag the (still damp), carefully applied layers off with my next pass. Now I can blast the figure with every pass, speeding up the process, but more importantly, ensuring every layer is properly dry before proceeding and so not mucking the whole thing up.

I honestly thought a dryer would be a bit of a luxury, but I can see it being totally integral to the painting process for me now.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
View attachment 468286
I just bought myself a dedicated hobby hairdryer, and Wow! what a difference it makes. Before now I've had to run upstairs to use the missus' dryer, which meant I tended not to bother. When glazing it'd be "yeah, that's dry enough" and I'd drag the (still damp), carefully applied layers off with my next pass. Now I can blast the figure with every pass, speeding up the process, but more importantly, ensuring every layer is properly dry before proceeding and so not mucking the whole thing up.

I honestly thought a dryer would be a bit of a luxury, but I can see it being totally integral to the painting process for me now.
Looking good Paul, bit of layer smoothing and a few more high and low lights and she’ll be sorted!

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Paul Those flesh tones look good to me and the eyes work very well. If you have any I would suggest a thin coat of clear UV resin over the eyes to really make them glow.

John

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks chaps. The UV resin idea sounds interesting - I did wonder whether I should gloss varnish her eyes. Either way, I guess the shine will generate reflections - wouldn't these 'fight' with the painted catchlights?

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Paul You could always paint out the painted catch lights and the real reflections will look much more alive.

John

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
View attachment 468286

Paul,

Great work. Is there really such a thing a hobby dryer? More info please!

ATB.

Andrew

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Is there really such a thing a hobby dryer? More info please!
Ah no! It's still a hairdryer, but it's now a hobby hairdryer, not a hairdryer hairdryer.

£11.99 from a high street pharmacy and honestly, I'm now certain you can't glaze properly without a hairdryer.

Really, YOU CAN'T GLAZE WITHOUT A HAIRDRYER.

IMO, of course.

First Name
Bill
Very nice work Paul. I always admire anyone who can paint a face in acrylics.

To me acrylics are the produce of the devil, I hate them. I use them to provide a basecoat for oils but I'm always glad when that part is finished. Horses for courses.

Following with interest.
Bill