Kuri, 1/10th bust

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Very nice work Paul. I always admire anyone who can paint a face in acrylics.

To me acrylics are the produce of the devil, I hate them. I use them to provide a basecoat for oils but I'm always glad when that part is finished. Horses for courses.

Following with interest.
Bill
Biggest secret weapon to painting larger figures with acrylics is a wet palette. Without one you are just painting and decorating……

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Honestly, I'm rather stunned at how much difference a hairdryer makes! I've been glazing this for a while now, and the ability to add layers quickly makes glazing super-easy. Smooth transitions are completely controllable and, because there's no hanging around waiting for a wash glaze to dry, you don't get distracted!
20221204_151558.jpgStill some work to do on her upper lip, and her eyebrows are just roughed in - I'm pondering hair colour right now.

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks great Paul. Love the feet on the raptor. Not sure what species it is though, the crest on the back of the head has me confused.

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Not sure either, Tim. The Merlin (popular with the ladies for its small size, apparently) seems a likely candidate, or perhaps just a non-specific falcon.

I'm using Merlin reference pics, but I'll certainly be doing my own thing as needed.

The crest (more of a flat-top with a flick at the back) is odd - maybe I should've shaved it off? It's staying, for now, at least.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Not sure either, Tim. The Merlin (popular with the ladies for its small size, apparently) seems a likely candidate, or perhaps just a non-specific falcon.

I'm using Merlin reference pics, but I'll certainly be doing my own thing as needed.

The crest (more of a flat-top with a flick at the back) is odd - maybe I should've shaved it off? It's staying, for now, at least.
Merlin colours will be good, it’s a great looking bird that I’ve only seen a couple of times. The tail/wing appears to be not quite right for one though. At rest the merlins very long wings cross over and cover the tail feathers.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming in brilliantly Paul!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Brilliant face colouring and the eyes are amazing.
That small tuft on the birds head makes me think of a kestrel.
Now that’s a good call. An American kestrel would be very colourful in this context…..very pretty bird compared to the UK variant.