Libya 1942

First Name
Robert
During the big tank battles, the pushes and the retreats from both Axis and Allies in the Africa campaign were many. On a retreat the 21st Panzer used the Panzer IV in limited supplies and normally the Panzer IV F2 was kept to the rear protecting this area.

The very accurate 25pndr operated by the British 8th Army have struck a flanking blow to this Panzer, blowing a track and starting an internal fire which has engulfed the tank . Tank crews rarely survived this and here there are two crewman who have succumbed to their injuries.

A passing patrol quickly got whatever supplies they could rescue from the wreck ( this was a scavenging tactic on both sides as the important ingredients in Africa were Petrol and Water...... Who had the most survived longer)

This was supposed to be another testing in painting armour but just got away with it ( I think )

The kit.

Italeri No 217 ( an older kit ) did a swapsie with ( takes lousy photos ) there were a few fit issues but overall not a bad kit.

Other parts I used ( 8th Desert rats Tamiya)

( DAK Tank crew ( masterbox )

Tamiya/ Vallejo/ Revell/ humbrol washes/ WN oils....... And cat litter.

Now the pics and all comments welcome image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
That is superbly done Robert....... The tank looks realistically phu**ed..... and the figures look great........ Well done mate.

D

dubster72

Very nice Robert! A thoughtful & realistic portrayal of a common scene in North Africa.

How's about adding some b&w shots? I bet they'd give an authentic look to the period

First Name
Robert
Took a few more ( edited the pics to B/w which I think does show a bit more detail

( shame we can't paint things in black and white eh ( comments as always image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

P

Polux

Nice one!!!

Looks very well done. The tanks is magnificent as the general colour as well ;)

First Name
Aaron
Top marks for even taking the plunge in doing a tank wreck. Great result.

N

noble

Excellent work on the panzer IV Robert nice battle damage.

Scott

D

Deleted member 4539

Great work all round.

Give's a real feel of the destruction of war.

First Name
Robert
\ said:
That is superbly done Robert....... The tank looks realistically phu**ed..... and the figures look great........ Well done mate.
Thanks Peter for you positive thoughts, really enjoyed building this and the scope was so varied. I'll try getting some more pics up soon

Robert

First Name
Robert
\ said:
Very nice Robert! A thoughtful & realistic portrayal of a common scene in North Africa.
How's about adding some b&w shots? I bet they'd give an authentic look to the period
Thanks Patrick for the positive vibes ( it's always helpful getting advice from others who know their stuff

Enjoyed the research on burns and rusting effects, the infantry and put a few b/w pics up

I'll try getting more pics up soon

Robert

First Name
Robert
\ said:
Nice one!!!
Looks very well done. The tanks is magnificent as the general colour as well ;)
Thanks Polux for the positive comments ( don't think I'm up to display in the professional build threads yet( is there a thread for these?

Cheers

Robert

First Name
Robert
\ said:
Very nice!!!
Lee :smiling3:
Thanks lee ( really enjoyed this build and painting was really something new in getting layers with burn effects and dio painting

Cheers

Robert

First Name
Robert
\ said:
Top marks for even taking the plunge in doing a tank wreck. Great result.
Thanks Aaron ( this was my first destroyed tank) and a venture into painting burns and rust efects/ even dio building

I think it's not bad for a first attempt,

I can only get better

Cheers

Robert

First Name
Robert
\ said:
Excellent work on the panzer IV Robert nice battle damage.
Scott
Thanks Scott ( not bad eh for my first destroyed tank eh ( I'll get better )

Cheers

Robert

First Name
Robert
\ said:
Great work all round.
Give's a real feel of the destruction of war.
Thanks Ralph for positive comments

Really enjoyed this exporiance into destroyed tanks ( first you build it then you destroy it)

Cheers

Robert

First Name
Robert
Got some more pics to post hope you like the angles.Enjoy

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I like the little bits of detail about the place, the painting of the figures, but most of all I really like what you've done with the damage to the tank. The photos also have a very 'desert' light about them. Great stuff.

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Just caught up with this one, don't know how I missed it :confused: Very nice indeed;) you've got a good eye for realism which will take you far in the future, oh and love the bw pics.

Got to figure out how to do themo_O Keep up the good work Robert..................Jim:smiling3:

First Name
Robert
\ said:
Just caught up with this one, don't know how I missed it :confused: Very nice indeed;) you've got a good eye for realism which will take you far in the future, oh and love the bw pics.
Got to figure out how to do themo_O Keep up the good work Robert..................Jim:smiling3:
Thanks for the positive comments Jim ( I'm really proud of the way it tuned out in the end. In my eye I try to put the realism into the dio so to give the viewer the feel of what war was all about.

I'm still learning and always keen to get more tips and tricks

Regards

Robert