Life Miniatures 1/16 Soviet Sniper

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_8455.JPG

OK, this one should get no complaints about her looks. This is Life Miniatures 1/16 Soviet Sniper. LM have made several versions of this figure in various scales, I assume using digital re-sizing, which has preserved an incredible amount of detail in the smaller versions.

I think she is perhaps rather too glamorous (she certainly wouldn't have had her hair down in the field), but there were some pretty female snipers:

3F60125C00000578-0-image-a-34_1492596411674.jpg3F60119000000578-0-image-a-61_1492596898190.jpg16soviet-female-snipers-colourised-photos-16.jpg

Roza Shanina, Lyudmila Pavlichenko and Ziba DeNoise. I think our subject comes closest to Pavlichenko. Here are some 'ordinary' female snipers:

3F60127200000578-0-image-a-36_1492596416036 (1).jpg

A bonny bunch. Here's my Verlinden figure, which is perhaps a more realistic depiction:

100_2095.JPG

The box contents:

100_8456.JPG100_8457.JPG

Quite a complicated assembly, with some dirty great casting blocks to remove. I'll have to experiment to see if it's worth leaving the cape off to painted separately.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
If you're gonna be shot at it might as well be by a glamour girl. It actually looks beautifully sculpted and the pose has a slight fantasy look about it. It will be a stunning figure when you apply your painting skills. Are you going with dull, camo type colours or add to the 'look' with some splashes of brightness?
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Ralph - I'll give it my best.

Jim - It really is a beautifully sculpted figure. I'm toying with the idea of blue cavalry trousers to add some colour.

She's ready for paint:

100_8458.JPG

I've decided not to attach the cape for now, as it would be very hard to get at the recesses with it on. Unfortunately there is a slight gap where it meets the top of the left arm, but that shouldn't be too difficult to fill retrospectively.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Great subject, different skin tones, looking forward to this one....

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice choice Peter. When you mentioned Life Miniatures in a previous post I had a look at their site and thought you might choose this one.
Eagerly looking forward to the paint.
John.

D

Deleted member 6559

Neil and Tim - Welcome along.

John - Life Miniatures have only recently started producing full 120mm figures. There are four so far and this is my third. They are superbly done, and I hope that more are in the pipeline - I suppose with digital technology they can produce one every time they do a bust.

I've painted the head:

100_8460.JPG100_8461.JPG100_8463.JPG

Very refined detail, which was nice to paint. Some of the ultra-detail, like the seams on the cap, were almost impossible to get at - thinner than the finest brush. I don't think she's turned out ultra beautiful either, which makes her more believable.

Jim F

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
This has the makings of being one of my favorite pieces that you have done, I loved the female USSR tank bust that you did but a I think this will eclipse it. regards Jim

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I'm toying with the idea of blue cavalry trousers to add some colour.
With her being glamorous and with the long hair and cape blowing in the wind I think it will be stunning with the blue trousers.
Jim

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
A very good (and quick) start Peter.

An interesting face too - it looks like a complete look of distain on it.

Keep up the good work!

ATB

Andrew

D

Deleted member 6559

Ralph - Cheers.

Jim & S - A good sculpt is half the battle I think. I've been slightly underwhelmed by the Verlinden figures I've done recently (much as I love Verlinden) as there's no doubt that they are a bit simplistic compared with things like this. Painting will only take you so far.

Jim R - Blue trousers it is then. I think a whole palate of olive drabs would be too much.

Andrew - Yes, she's ejecting a cartridge from the breech and is going across to look at her latest victim.

Neal - I'm afraid that I've already tweaked! Just lengthened the left eyebrow slightly so that it matches the right. She's safe.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
A very good (and quick) start Peter.
An interesting face too - it looks like a complete look of distain on it.
Keep up the good work!
ATB
Andrew
With her being glamorous and with the long hair and cape blowing in the wind I think it will be stunning with the blue trousers.
Jim

Morning Peter

Just get an ice cold Russian Nikita sniper on your painting bench and you can't get in the room for the crowd!!!!

Blue trousers will be a smooth counterpoint colour wise

And distain is all over her face, well painted too Peter,

That is one serious cape and will be quite a weight in resin

Have a fun day with all the drapery, it will keep you well busy and zenith too.

Regards
Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Neil - :thumb2:.

Tim - Many thanks.

Steve - People do seem to love Soviet sniperesses. I've decided to paint the main part of the figure next, then the inside of the cape, which I will then fix in place before painting the back. Hard to work out the best sequence, but as you say, weight is a consideration.