M2A1

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Scottie,
roof tiles do look very good to me....and I’m another that thinks the yellow is just right. It adds a zing of colour and interest:thumb2:

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
A little bit more done. The shutters have had pewter hinges added to the building and the shutters attached. I have noticed in the pictures I need to touch up the paint on the hinges. They are a bit garish but the whole thing will be matted when the build is finished. Next work started on the roofing tiles with the addition of the lead flashing I am presuming this is used on the building in the same way it is in the UK.
Thanks for staying with it.

Hi Scottie - looking great, a really effective building. Two comments, not usre about the yellow and I do question the use of lead flashing on a building of this age. Perhaps any builders amongst us can comment, but I would have thought cement flashing to be more likely.
Peter
PView attachment 317558View attachment 317560View attachment 317561View attachment 317562

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Peter,
Your right about the flashing not being a builder and having no knowledge of building techniques abroad it was just a punt on my behalf. Now you mention it the concrete flashing would probably be more accurate. It would be interesting to have a poll those for and against the yellow lol. Thanks for the comment it all helps me improve.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Beautiful work Scottie. In the US, copper flashing was used as well as cement w/clay & terracotta tiles of 30s & 40s. Lead was used in plumbing & chimney caps. PaulE

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Scottie

I hope you got planning permission for this magnificent building. Looking very nice sir.

John

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Beautiful work Scottie. In the US, copper flashing was used as well as cement w/clay & terracotta tiles of 30s & 40s. Lead was used in plumbing & chimney caps. PaulE
Paul,
Glad you like it mate and thank you for commenting. It just goes to show the regional variations in construction.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Paul.
The use of flashing has gone on for centuries, as far back as 1834 a book was written on its use in protecting roofs and abutments on buildings.
In some parts of France Zinc sheets was used, more in the South. More likely to do with cost and supply than anything. So you could have either, the colour would be no different unless you were really close.
The anchor plate is perfect for France, I like the rust streak, very life like.
The colour of those wooden shutters etc... I would just make them paler, the yellow would fade quickly in the sun, so you could do a sort of wash. The tiles are brill, along with the hairline cracks in the wall, just in the right places from stress.
Love it mate, top class.
John.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Paul, nicely done...flashing and all. Am not too worried about the colours...just get them to look weathered and old as five years of occupation didn't give the residents time and material to upkeep the exterior of their home.

Cheers,
Richard

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Paul.
The use of flashing has gone on for centuries, as far back as 1834 a book was written on its use in protecting roofs and abutments on buildings.
In some parts of France Zinc sheets was used, more in the South. More likely to do with cost and supply than anything. So you could have either, the colour would be no different unless you were really close.
The anchor plate is perfect for France, I like the rust streak, very life like.
The colour of those wooden shutters etc... I would just make them paler, the yellow would fade quickly in the sun, so you could do a sort of wash. The tiles are brill, along with the hairline cracks in the wall, just in the right places from stress.
Love it mate, top class.
John.

Hi John,
Thanks for the information on the building history. As you know from previous builds I never was one for accuracy but it is nice to get things right if possible now and then and it's knowledge like that, that will help in future. In hind site I should have hair lacquered the wood work to show signs of distress but I will try and fade the wood work out a bit. The cracking is quite natural as the thin layer of plaster over the foam board has cracked as I have been handling it.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Paul, nicely done...flashing and all. Am not too worried about the colours...just get them to look weathered and old as five years of occupation didn't give the residents time and material to upkeep the exterior of their home.

Cheers,
Richard

Hi Richard,
As I said to Mr Race in hind site I should have hair lacquered the woodwork so I could distress it, but I will try and fade it a bit. Thanks for taking the time to comment it's good to have you long for the ride.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Paul .
I'd have said you'd done that cracking line by scribe tool . Anyway that " natural " crack in the plaster is a winner in my eyes..
John.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Stunning work Paul. The flashing is very realistic. Looking forward to seeing the guttering go up.

With John's drain pipe this site is turning into an edition of plumbers weekly.!:smiling5::smiling3:

Reactions: JR

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Stunning work Paul. The flashing is very realistic. Looking forward to seeing the guttering go up.

With John's drain pipe this site is turning into an edition of plumbers weekly.!:smiling5::smiling3:

Steve,
Thanks mate I'm taking my lead from John.

Reactions: JR