Mayday - Mayday!! Paint removal question.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
After a bit of a 'Mayday' event. Is there an easy way to remove acrylic paint from plastic?
Had a nightmare morning. I was playing around with my new airbrush and I really screwed up - big style!!
I should have simply put a final layer of top coat on my Beetle. Instead of altering the setting on the airbrush. (Ultra 2024 model). I left it on fully open and deposited the contents of the paint cup over the front ended which then 'slumped'. My fault, new brush - too eager - just stupid but now I'm in recovery mode!!

So guys, any ideas.

Have to say, when the AB is on the correct setting - perfection. And cleaning is simple. No right angle areas that are difficult the access.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I generally dunk the item in methylated spirits for a few minutes but I'm sure IPA would have a similar effect.

If it's too large to fit in a container for a full bath, try laying bits of paper towel or similar over it and soaking them with the alcohol of choice. It helps keep it in contact with the surface for longer, to give it a bit of time to work.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Thanks Andy, I've identified an old Ice Cream container and have tons of blue roll so a good soak and a tooth brush on stand by!!

Really angry with myself for rushing. Should have checked!! I think I'm learning more from this kit than the previous two!!!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Fairy power spray cleaner works as well. Just spray it on, watch it crinkle, then wipe it off.
Thanks Tim, I just googled it as I haven't heard of it. First hit was £44 - nearly sprayed my cup of tea across the table!!!
Then I scrolled down and sensible money appeared!!!
May give that a go if no success with IPA which I have!! If IPA fails I'll get some Fairy power spray, that's win win. If it fails for me SWMBO wins.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I find that new sprayed Acrylics are pretty simple to get off with the normal thinners used, failing that the airbrush cleaner. I have befor cleaned my paint area with AB cleaner and it even took year old paint.

IPA must be stronger over here, unless you dilute yours. I used it once to wipe an aircraft before primer as I could see finger marks on the plastic... The IPA ate into the plastic enough to smudge the surface. never done it since...

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I find that new sprayed Acrylics are pretty simple to get off with the normal thinners used, failing that the airbrush cleaner. I have befor cleaned my paint area with AB cleaner and it even took year old paint.

IPA must be stronger over here, unless you dilute yours. I used it once to wipe an aircraft before primer as I could see finger marks on the plastic... The IPA ate into the plastic enough to smudge the surface. never done it since...
Useful info regards IPA, I’ll be careful. Think I’ll start with something milder then work up to ipa if the previous application doesn’t show results!!

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete

Be careful with airbrush cleaner. I used the Spray Craft one in an aerosol to try to blast some paint out of awkward places and it dissolved the plastic! Never had a problem using 99% IPA though.
Pete

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
IPA depending on how large the damage is. In this case I would say a large brush (#2) and soak the damaged area, wait for a couple of minutes and brush on some more and you should see the paint/varnish coming off.
Remember to work in a well ventilated area.
Don't want the wife to think you have been out on the IPA again and cannot crawl to the door...
Failing that then Mr Color thinners - that will remove the paint, but financially will cost more.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Isn't Mr Color thinners a bit too strong Mike?
Pete
Hello Pete,
Just had a play with my friendly Challenger hull
20231207_104849_HDR.jpg
Sorry it is blurred, but you can see the plastic is ok, but the grey primer has started to be removed by the brush, after a good soak.
20231207_104919_HDR.jpg
This is a better pic. on the left you can see after a wipe with a bit of tissue the Mr Color has not affected the plastic at all.
On the right you can see it has taken off the paint.
The 'rippled' plastic under the grey was something else I was experimenting with (rolled steel) and not the effect of the Mr Color.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Thanks for the test Mike. I'm nervous after messing up a build by using a/b cleaner. IPA usually works for me, and when it didn't, meths did.
Pete