Merlin HC3 Airfix 1/48 Afganistan

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
99 replies now 100 not what I would call a lack of interest! I have just gone through this thread from page 1-5 and enjoyed your pictures and other peoples postings.I admire your patience and hard work and it is well an the way to be a great representation of the real thing so keep calm and carry on with the great work just think of all those medals you will receive once completed. :smiling3:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looking good Laurie, surprised how large it is next to that Wellington.

L

Laurie

\ said:
Looking good Laurie, surprised how large it is next to that Wellington.
Yes so was I Joe. The Merlin is actually 12 feet longer than the Chinook. Weighs about the same but the Chinook has approx a third more take off lifting power.

Laurie

First Name
Gregg
\ said:
Yes I am a little further now Steve. In fact on the finishing straight.Well I was until decided to renovate my work area.

It is a very nice project but it is for the long haul as it is the most detailed 1/48 I have built. Plus I take my time which spills out a lot of time. But worth it.

Have to admit as there seems little interest in Helicopter builds I have become complacent in continuing the comments on the build.

Laurie
There are a lot of members like me, that have a look on the site almost every day.

We may not always leave comments, however it doesn't mean that we are not interested in watching what is being done.

This build for me is excellent, as the amount of detail you have incorporated is amazing.

Don't be downhearted, we are still watching in anticipation!

Gregg

S

steve scan

Yeah Laurie I check everyday to see an update, hurry up and give us one. :D

Z

Ziper_it

Excellent finishing.

May I ask you why you used just few PE bits (or was this already ecplained)?

First Name
Richard
Hi Laurie, beautifully executed craftsmanship so far.

Great detail overall.

Cheers Richi

L

Laurie

\ said:
Excellent finishing.May I ask you why you used just few PE bits (or was this already ecplained)?
Not a problem Francesco.

First as you can see there are a lot of pieces on the photo. But that is only one there are two sheets of PE for the outside. The photo was taken before I started fixing the PE

For the inside there is a sheet for the cockpit and one for the load bay.

Why only probably half used. Airfix did a very good job with the detailing and in some cases shaving a piece from the plastic to replace with PE did not seem to me to enhance the model. Where as the built in protrusions on the model are in 3d the PE is not and would have looked flat. As example the little steps recessed into the fuselage to gain access to the cockpit were to be filled and PE substituted and I thought the PE would not look very good compared to the original. That was the main reason. Some there just seemed no sense in fitting as they did not enhance.

But some of the PE does look really good. The surrounds to the window, despite the devil of a job in fitting, really did make a difference. Grilles do make a difference and I used most of these. Not knocking PE the 50% I used I was very happy with and did make a difference.

Laurie