Merlin HC3 Airfix 1/48 Afganistan

L

Laurie

Yes I am a little further now Steve. In fact on the finishing straight.

Well I was until decided to renovate my work area.

It is a very nice project but it is for the long haul as it is the most detailed 1/48 I have built. Plus I take my time which spills out a lot of time. But worth it.

Have to admit as there seems little interest in Helicopter builds I have become complacent in continuing the comments on the build.

Laurie

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I wouldn't say that Laurie, there are just so few helicopter builds around.

S

steve scan

Hey Laurie keep it coming, interest always varies from genre to genre but there must be lots like me who like pretty much everything. ;)

L

Laurie

Very kind of you Steve will do just that.

Thanks Joe I do know you have followed from the start. Very much appreciated.

Laurie

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Stirling work Laurie. It's been coming along at a steady pace, and it shows with the detail and workmanship thats gone into it, looking forward as you probably are to the finish line.

L

Laurie

Thanks Ian.

Feeling guilty now for not putting more effort into showing the build. But will put that right.

Laurie

S

steve scan

Good news Laurie, I think you have almost tempted me into one of these.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
This is wonderful work so far Laurie. I just re-read it and noticed your comment on the number of decals. It seems that's the way lots of companies are going. I've looked at a review of the 1/48 Great Wall Hobby F16. They offer an Israeli version which has over 650 decals!

Gern

L

Laurie

Gern I think I will give that a miss.

Steve. Go for it it is a model of models as far as I am concerned. But ! There are in the instructions 140 stages. Plus about 24 seats to construct. So patience is required and if you need quick fixes then not sure this is for those model makers. I like to get in depth model making and if that is for you then so is this model.

My Merlin is just the first in the Herrick range of Airfix. I have and intended to make the lot and do an Afghanistan scenario.

Laurie

S

steve scan

Laurie I have decided to put it on my Christmas list, unless that is I find one at a good price at our show next month. ;)

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I too have been watching from the side lines Laurie as I rather fancy one of these myself.

Ian M

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
Yes I am a little further now Steve. In fact on the finishing straight.Well I was until decided to renovate my work area.

It is a very nice project but it is for the long haul as it is the most detailed 1/48 I have built. Plus I take my time which spills out a lot of time. But worth it.

Have to admit as there seems little interest in Helicopter builds I have become complacent in continuing the comments on the build.

Laurie
Helicopter kits are a bit marmite Laurie, you like them you don't. I like looking at them but building is a different matter with so many appendages to break off.

I have been dropping in on this regularly but I don't usually comment on builds until they are complete or unless I have a burning question or knowledge to share.

L

Laurie

Go for it Ian !

Some what the opposite Rick. i like things going on all over the place.

Dropped a bit behind on this one. Re-organisation of model room, a holiday and organising a wedding for my young son here in Jersey. They live in London so much work which I have enjoyed but it takes model making time.

But now down to it. Just weathering and putting all the bits on.

Thanks all for your interest.

Laurie

Peej

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Laurie, just came across your build and have enjoyed reading about the build. Looks a fantastic kit. Can't wait to see the finished result. Respect to all the hard work you've done. :smiling3:

F

fuma

Hi Laurie

Bit of a late comer to your build. Really good work so far. I've been considering a Helicopter to add to my stash for a future build for a while. Your build is an inspiration!!

No time waste on popcorn or roast dinners, got kits to build and LEDs to install!!!

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I've enjoyed the helicopters I have built so far. Something different, but there are many fragile parts so you have to display them carefully. They fit nicely into gaps created between larger-winged aeroplanes :smiling3:

L

Laurie

\ said:
I've enjoyed the helicopters I have built so far. Something different, but there are many fragile parts so you have to display them carefully. They fit nicely into gaps created between larger-winged aeroplanes :smiling3:
Yes you are right Joe. The Wessex does break up my display. Would not say that fixed wing are monotonous by any means but the helicopter brings great 3D to a display. Also in this case the Wessex is paired with the Sea Harrier as the hard working Falkland pair.

The Merlin will be part of the Lynx and the Airfix ground vehicles in the Airfix Herrick Group.

Laurie

Z

Ziper_it

Can we see some pic Laurie?

I also love to built heli but I get most comments on planes.

Only drawback with (big) helisis that they take much more room.

L

Laurie

Not finished it yet Francesco lots of recent interuptions.

Will be publishing another lot of photos tommrow. Thanks for your interest.

Yes the Merlin is a very large helicopter in real terms. It is slightly longer than a WW11 Wellington. At 1/48 scale it is 400mm long (in ancient terms one foot four inches).

Laurie