Merlin HC3 Airfix 1/48 Afganistan

W

Willi262

I got goosebumps!

This thing will look freakin' amazing when you are done...

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That is really rather cool!

very nicely done and should show all that detail off a treat!

Ian M

ps. i dont know if it is a Danish thing but the Merlin they fly over here has a rather nice gold tinge to it. It sounds odd but it looks rather nice.

http://www.stall.dk/images/Galleri/RDAF%20Airshow/aalborg%202007/RDAF%20EH-101%20Rescue%2008.jpg shows it off rather well.

N

noble

This is cool so far the addition of the interior light looks really nice.

scott

L

Laurie

Hey that is a nice colour Ian. Indulging in colours I can paint the thinging at the moment.

Thanks to you all for the replies very nice encouragement.

Steve calm down. Is it the air in Cagary ? ! Long way to go yet. Although I must say that I am gaining momentum, that is medium going on a bit faster, as it is getting to very interesting stages.

Give Airfix top marks not used a spot of filler so far. Some tricky bits to come with 3 very large outer parts. But on a dry run with just a fraction of a bit of easing all looks good.

Laurie

Z

Ziper_it

Very good Laurie.

One day or another I should try this.

Francesco

L

Laurie

Thanks Ian and Francesco.

Going away Monday. Tut such an inconvenience.

Laurie

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking good Laurie, the detailing is great and the leds just add more to it, well done, do like the use off leds and nice chiose to use amber :rolleyes:

T

treyzx10r

Wow what an awesome job on the Interior Laurie,and that lighting is perfect!

L

Laurie

Remarkable the outer fuselage casing which are large pieces and go in 3 dimensions twisting together. Apart from a couple of very minor adjustments they fitted a good as you get.

Took a couple of days tacking in places to hold in areas allowing the parts to be coaxed into curved positions. Well done Airfix. That is the most complicated bit and one I expected real trouble with.

The tail my heart died as it looked even worse before it was all fitted together I could not believe it. Airfix should have warned. After all this could have been ultra stressful !!!!!!

View attachment 82130

View attachment 82131

View attachment 82132

View attachment 82133

View attachment 82134

View attachment 82135

View attachment 82136

7.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Wonderful work Laurie. Most helicopters equipped with tail rotors have a slight twist in the tail boom. It is easier to angle the thrust from the tail blades than it is to build a massive blade. Have to comment in support of your initial shock though, that is one hell of an angle.

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Hey Laurie, that's one awesome build you've got going on here, attention to detail is phenomenal. :cool:

Lee :smiling3:

L

Laurie

Thanks for your comments Joe and Lee very much appreciated.

I built the Wessex and when I found this "wonky" tail I thought the Wessex does not have one. Can understand that this helps the aero dynamics on the the Merlin. It is a whopping helicopter.

As an aside. We had among the dynasty of five dogs over time a black labrador. We were a bit silly, living in Jersey, we acquired this lab. from Guernsey. Oh yes a wrong move this dog "Magic" (another bad move on a name) turned out to be most crack pot dog imaginable. The point. She got her tail stuck in a door that slammed and the tail is reminiscent of the Merlin's bent tail. I would add that Magic was just the funniest dog I have ever seen. We had so many laughs but then not surprising she came from Guernsey.

Laurie

L

Laurie

Little further. Not fast but then there are 335 pieces plus about a 100 pieces of PE. But it is a nice model to construct.

Airfix have done well. There is a lot of serious bending both horizontally and vertically directions yet the fitting is very good. Some small items but forgiven considering the complexity of the pieces.

Laurie

View attachment 83303

View attachment 83305

View attachment 83304

View attachment 83306

View attachment 83307

View attachment 83308

View attachment 83309

View attachment 83310

View attachment 83311

9.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

0ne48thtel

Looking good Laurie Ilike the pre paining around the windows never thought of doing that before (one to remember for my next helo build.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looking very good Laurie, it's taking shape nicely.

S

steve scan

This is a hell of a kit and reportedly a very nice build, picked up and put down this one a few times, enjoying what you are doing with this.