MH-53e, HC-4 Sigonella - Italeri 1/72

Z

Ziper_it

Cheers,

I'm back here with a new build (and two still ongoing). This time we have a MH-53e Sea Dragon from Italeri.

Due to the number of grilles, the huge load area with minimal details and the will of learning I decided to give a try to PE and bought a Big Ed kit.

View attachment 75658

I started working on it yesterday, first trying to understand how to proceed with assembly and painting (some PE are already pre-painted which I don't like too much) reading the three instruction sheets (one from kit and two from PE.

I started with sponsons and engines, thinking it would be easier but the tasks is more complex than expected due to kit quality. More details and pictures soon.

If you have any picture or document that you can share I would appreciate.

Thanks for reading.

Francesco

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388780736.932726.jpg

Z

Ziper_it

Cheers mate,

Slowly progressing here due to mould flashing and poor fitting, at least compared to the few kits I had a chance to mount til now. Also few modifications were needed to have the kit look like the real thing: sponsons were rescribed with correct panels and lights added, turbine were rescribed, support cut and redone with proper shape, exhaust redone with proper shape. Below a picture showing pre and post.

View attachment 75896

Any suggestion on doing these small rivets, i've tried with white glue but wihout real success. I'm thinking about Archer, would they work on this scale?

Francesco

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389008346.450094.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Yep, good progress Francesco. Really looking forward to seeing this one go together it is going to be enormous.

Z

Ziper_it

Thank you for the nice comments.

I was not very happy with the results when comparing it to the original one as ribs made with alu tape were not enough evident. So I tried to replace one with some placard 0.10x0.20 and it was better but I didn't dare to continue for the complexity of doing it with all the other bits glued.

However I tried to replace the last rib, close to the back door, as it should have been bigger and with holes, the result below. In the meanwhile I started adding some color to interior details.

View attachment 76617

Francesco

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390070508.589728.jpg

M

mobear

Francesco you are mad,though it does look good and like the original in appearance,still think you are mad though lol

M

mobear

did you photo shop your fingers in?looks really good Fransesco,and if thats what you see when looking through the window,will be a fantastic bonus

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Spectacular scratch building on that interior, enhances it no end. Superb Francesco.

Si:smiling3:

Z

Ziper_it

Thank you guys.

I took some pictures of the open cabin, best one below

View attachment 76769

However i'm looking and looking to the pics and the result doesn't convince me: it isn't clean as I wished and there are a couple of things that I could have done better. Yep, the macro is magnifying imprecisions but I know many could have been avoided.

Now I can try to repair (but I know I will make a mess) or close the fuselage as it is (and not be satisfied).

Mmhh, need some time to think.

Francesco

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390246542.532238.jpg