Most pleasurable builds

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Tim - I agree with Chris. That railway looks superb, looks real. I've never been into model railways but I can imagine the huge amount of work to get something like that done.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Tim - I agree with Chris. That railway looks superb, looks real. I've never been into model railways but I can imagine the huge amount of work to get something like that done.
As I said Jim, it was a team effort. I’d say it took about two years to get to that stage. Glad it was of interest though.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Have to say my pleasurable build is my on-going Bocage dio. Only my second ever dio and i am learning sssoooo much whilst doing it. Yes it's frustrating at times, but i am also quite proud of what i have achieved so far

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking back 99% of builds have been a pleasure to build, but these three I think still give me pleasure to look at. By the way there are some great builds on display.

First. Always time for a brew.

DSCF0705.JPG

Stuck in the mud.

DSCF1062.JPG

3Ro

DSCF3324.JPG

cheers
Scottie

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Stuck in the mud was always my "fave" too Scottie!! absolutely stunning effects and still grabs me after all this time. :thumb2:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
ive never seen these roundels before ?
The reason for the odd roundels is partly, like Barry says, working with American forces, but also partly to avoid being confused for Japanese in general. It turned out in the Pacific that the British and the American roundels were too easy to confuse with the Japanese all-red roundel (remember that the original American roundel was a blue disc with a white star, and a red disc in the centre of the star). The red disc in the middle of the both made them look too similar to the red Japanese roundel from a distance.

So, the Americans removed the red disc, but that caused another problem: in North Africa and Europe, the markings were now too easily confused with the German crosses. So they then added those white bars, and began to only apply roundels to one wing instead of to both. This solved the problem for the Americans, and Commonwealth aircraft in the Pacific sort of followed along by removing the red disc and adding white bars, the latter to avoid friendly fire from Americans who would assume that any plane without those bars would be an enemy.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Even after many years, the model I've had most pleasure in building was the ICM 1/48 MiG-25
1-48 mig-25.jpg
The engineering of the model, and the fit just made it a joy to assemble - the only thing I added was a pilot, there was no need for anything else. I've enjoyed a lot of my builds, but this still remains my favourite.................
Dave

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Very nice
Even after many years, the model I've had most pleasure in building was the ICM 1/48 MiG-25
View attachment 457911
The engineering of the model, and the fit just made it a joy to assemble - the only thing I added was a pilot, there was no need for anything else. I've enjoyed a lot of my builds, but this still remains my favourite.................
Dave
Dave,
That looks excellent mate,a cracking build :smiling3:

Panzerwrecker

SMF Supporter
First Name
Los
Great looking, fine detailed, well engineered kits are no guarantee of a pleasurable time at the bench. Even the best kit out there can be one you just never get on with! On the flip side many who's time only comes because of a stalled build or just a curious glance inside the box, can become the most fun and pleasurable projects.

My first foray into resin kits was in the second category. I purchased it after seeing another modellers work and thought, what a great looking vehicle. It is an unusual subject and one you just don't see many built. Sadly it arrived around a time when a whole bunch of other new releases caught my fickle attention. I think it sat on the shelf for six months or so whilst two category one kits were attempted. One day I happened to take that cursory glance in the box and before I new it I had all the resin blocks cleaned off. This is a peach of a kit. The build went without major incident, the paint went on nice and smooth and it got very little in the way of weathering. Its a real rarity for me and it was a really difining 'I don't know how that happened but I'm really pleased it did' moment.

Although not what you would call middle ground money, I did however, most definately get the value of satisfaction guaranteed. I'm talking Model Victoria's 1/35 Fiat 626.

My second most memorable build was a very simple 1/35 Dragon Panther A. Not quite as quality averse as 'that' Tamiya A kit, 6168 is still all over the shop dimensionally and the detail is not fantastic. It mattered not to me. I livened it up with a metal barrel, Atak zimmerit, some photo etch and an obligatory set of Friuls (another first for me at the time). I worked on it on and off over approx two years and was really happy how it turned out.

Lastly a recent side by side build of both a classic Dragon and Border models fairly recent 1/35 Panzer IV Ausf J. If you haven't already built two identical vehicles from different manufacturers I urge you to give it a go. Its a real eye opener and a fun road to travel down. Both remain un- painted so just the construction side of things had my divided attention.

Los

Last edited:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The most pleasure I've derived in modeling was from defeating this ^&&^%#@#$%^& resin kit w/horrible destructions & missing parts into an acceptable (by me) model of a US Army D7. Just saw the unpainted pin head securing the plow. Amazing how your eye sees what it wants/expects to see so often.
100_3247.JPG

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
The most pleasure I've derived in modeling was from defeating this ^&&^%#@#$%^& resin kit w/horrible destructions & missing parts into an acceptable (by me) model of a US Army D7. Just saw the unpainted pin head securing the plow. Amazing how your eye sees what it wants/expects to see so often.
View attachment 458132
So where did you get that 1ltr bottle of vallejo from? :smiling3:

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Thought I’d now join in with three, all pleasurable for different reasons
3D213BBC-C460-4860-BE4C-DBB5DF296FD6.jpeg
My first large scale truck in over 30 years and an experiment with colour change paints

5E8C7A70-DAE1-4BB7-8E49-9E0016C82C7E.jpeg
The Kitty Hawk 1/48 Jaguar, the pleasure here was from actually finishing it, as others have found this kit loves to fight.

BEBB152A-62AB-4F51-844B-22398BDB842C.jpeg

Finally Otto’s ride. My first ever build of an actual tank which was made possible by lots of help and donated parts from several group members

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
View attachment 458132
Paul, I love the way the operator is looking up at the Vallejo bottle as if it's 20 feet tall.......oops, it is to him! ;)

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
This was probably my most nerve-racking, frustrating but most satisfying because of there was no going back once the Huey was chopped in half, and the engineering of supporting the Huey through the leg and arm of the single marine Was a new challenge.

Peter

2CE7AFDD-FF32-4294-9147-9BE2E3BA7DCF.jpeg

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
This was probably my most nerve-racking, frustrating but most satisfying because of there was no going back once the Huey was chopped in half, and the engineering of supporting the Huey through the leg and arm of the single marine Was a new challenge.

Peter

View attachment 458188
Outstanding Marine! Very nicely done!
Steve

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I remember the crawler but not the HEMTT ......Top job all around on that and a very clean build! :thumb2: :thumb2: