My first build - advice appreciated.

O

Oggy

Hi all.

Since introducing myself as a returning modeller, I have been looking around for a first build.

The first consideration was scale. Balancing my dodgy eyesight against space requirements etc I have decided that my base scale will be 1/48. There seem to be a good selection of kits and accessories around at that scale.

I then thought about choice of subject and decided that I should start with something with fairly simple structure and colour scheme. Some of those German/Italian camo jobs look a bit of a challenge.

Aha - Spitfire thought I. I lived for part of my youth on the edge of a disused WW2 airfield, RAF Harrowbeer just outside Plymouth. A bit of research found that Xtradecal do a set of decals for SH-J, a Mk Vb which was stationed there during the war. A bit more checking showed that the only Vb around not in tropical fit (seldom required on Dartmoor) is the Tamiya.

As I remember Tamiya kits were quite good quality and shouldn't make my life too difficult.

All thoughts appreciated.

J

John Huggins

Hi Oggy welcome to the forum.

I to live in Plymouth & have oftern been up to Yelverton rock with the kids, i think this would be a good subject for ur first project.

I think there is a site for Harrowbeer showing what it looked like when it was an airfield in the 40's.

I will look forward to seeing ur build.

Above all have fun.

John

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
As I remember Tamiya kits were quite good quality and shouldn't make my life too difficult.

All thoughts appreciated.
You remember correctly. You should have an enjoyable time building that one with no major problems.

Cheers

Steve

G

Gren

Hello Oggy and welcome,You will find they are a friendly lot and helpful on this forum.Not long joined myself. You are right about the Tamiya kits there are good ,I am doing a Tamiya Mosquito and finding it is great for my first build.Hope to see sum pic's of your build,and enjoy your build.

Les

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hello and welcome to the forum.

You can't go far wrong with a Tamiya kit. The chances of fit issues are next to none, and if you do find one, chances are its not the kits fault.....

The only thing that could be better are the instructions, or more correctly the paint call outs in the construction sections. I normally take a pencil and write the colour name- all those X this and XF that have never appealed to me.

Great subject choice to. I do like a Spitfire. ;)

Ian M

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Oggy welcome to the forum, and may i say Tamiya would be a great kit to start with, good luck with the build and looking forward to the pictures

O

Oggy

Thanks for the replies.

I have ordered the Spitfire and I am all excited now. (My Doctor has warned me about that.) I feel a trip to our local model shop coming on. I have knives, sandpaper etc from my radio modelling days but I will need some new stuff, primarily glue. Any recommendations?

V

Vajled

hey oggy,

Glue tamiya Extra Thin Cement

Some CA glue...

Must have some putty...

Plan to got some AirBrush and Compressor?

Cheers and welcome

Roman

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Humbrol liquid poly is just a tad thicker than the Tamiya extra expensive, I mean thin. It is also a lot easier to get hold of.

For sanding sticks get yourself into the chemists and buy a set of ladies nail care boards. There are normally three, great for sanding and polishing plastic and as cheap as chips.

Tipex correction fluid is a very good filler for small cracks and nicks.

Ian M

O

Oggy

The parcel arrived today at work (Thanks John, good service). I had a quick look at it at lunch time. First impressions of the kit are that it was smaller than I was expecting. Wagon wheel syndrome - remember how big they seemed when we were youngsters? The quality looks very good though. I had a trip to my local model shop yesterday and bought some glue, some brushes and some basic paints (flesh, leather, RAF blue, interior green etc). I already have the sand pads Ian mentioned from my radio modelling days.

I have been doing some digging on the Interweb and there are lots of useful sites of pictures of the cockpit and the actual plane I want to build.

I was looking forward to getting stuck in this evening but I left my specs at work.:damnit:

Am I right in thinking that the place to start is painting the internal detail and the internal parts of the airframe visible in the finished model (wheelwells, cockpit interior)?

T

tecdes

Hi Oggy

Looks as though you are well settled here already & that is what it is all about here.

Procedure of construction including painting is one I found in my first year of modelling to be one of the most important as otherwise you can get into a lovely mess.

Following the instructions is a good guide but you have to look well ahead to make sure you making it as easy as possible & take no notice of the instructions in some instances.

Also found that the procedure is different with hand brushing compared to air brushing. I found the best way as a start was to leave as many of the smaller parts as possible to the last moment. Otherwise it is out with the Super duper glue as they get knocked off. Also found it is not a good idea to put pressure on the model after you have fixed the landing gear in place.

Have a look at a few tutorial that members have pasted on this forum. They come under the UNDER CONSTRUCTION. They give a good idea of how to go about things.

Interesting I studied all the pictures pasted in by Mossieman when he was constructing his Mosquito & I mine. I was surprised to find the different ways we had gone about building the model. Some of his were much better than mine a few where I stuck to mine.

Laurie

O

Oggy

Disaster.

I started painting last night. I did the fuselage interior and the wheel wells with no problem then I started on the pilot. I now find that my eyes (even with glasses) simply cannot pick out the level of detail I would like to achieve.

At work sometimes I have to work on PCBs with components less than 5mm long. To do so I have an illuminated magnifier similar to the fourth one down here.

Does anyone else work uder a glass or have ano tips?

B

Bari

I have the same problem with the mk1 eyeball and am waiting to have a cataract done, I use a lamp similar to this one from argos LightCraft Compact Craft Lamp and Magnifier.

Its item number 276/1231 and just under £25

O

Oggy

I borrowed the glass from work this evening and had a go. I am really not sure about it. I can see slall parts now, but the glass messes with judgement of distance. I might try to borrow it for the weekend and see how I get on.

Another point - what do people use to attach Eduard metal detail to plastic?

O

Oggy

Latest update.

I am having real difficulties. I borrowed the glass for the weekend and tried to make some progress. I tried to pick out some of the detail in the cockpit, but I just cannot get it right.

One point that suddenly struck me - I have been like a kid in a sweetshop. I have bought all the goodies but just do not have the tallent to make proper use of them. I am going to put all these things in a box and make the kit as is and see how it goes.

Hopefully I should have a photo or two to post soon.

Onwards!

V

Vajled

Oggy...

practice, practice, practice... patient, patient, patient... then again practice, practice.... :smiling3:

you should see my first build :smiling3: hehehehe

dont bother to mutch with details... try to do all the best from you, but always remember:

Next model will be always better, also next one, also next one...

Cheers

Roman

O

Oggy

Ok - here's the damage so far.

The parts fit very well so far, but one small niggle - the bush that holds the prop on is tiny, only just larger than the prop shaft. I think I an going to leave the prop off until the airframe is painted to make things easier.

The glass definitely helped so that is on my shopping list as is a compressor. I treated myself to an Iwata CR airbrush as John reckons the price is about to go up and they get good reviews so a compressor is on the list as well.

V

Vajled

very nice work so far... keep it up

Iwata is excellent choice :smiling3:

Leave prop for after, it will only disturbing you in after work...

I always pout prop last, and usually glue it... I dont make toys thats prop must be free for spinning :smiling3:

Cheers,

Roman

S

Scuff

As you need both eyes for depth perception, a magnifier can make thingS difficult. The solution that works for me is a head mounted magnifier and light. These can be picked up for around a tenner on eBay, they come with different strength lenses that can be used either singly or in pairs. The light helps to pick out those really small details. This one item has helped transform my modelling, with my ageing eyesight. If it looks ok at 10x magnification, it looks fine by the naked eye.

I had a go at the Tamiya Spit following my return. http://www.scale-models.co.uk/aircraft-pictures/14181-another-tamiya-1-48-spitfire-mk-vb-comments-welcome.html

Most of all, have fun and keep practicing :smile:

O

Oggy

Sorry for the delay folks. I have been organising a few bits and pieces. I have ordered a glass and a compressor for my airbrush. When the compressors you are used to are about a metre long, the airbrush ones do look cute, but seem to work well. I painted some cardboard boxes and some plastic bottles before trying an Airfix Vulcan I started 20 years ago but did not finish. More practice needed, but the result was encouragining.

Back to the Spit -

Can you tell what it is yet?

The airframe went together very quickly with no problems. I am definately impressed with Tamiya.

A little filling was required under the fuselage where the wing joins. Other than that It was spot on.

Lessons I have learnt -

I am a bit heavy handed with the glue. I am using Revell Contacta (which was all my LMS had in). I preferred to use glue applied with a brush so I have treated myself to a pot of Liquid Poly. I had to sand the joints where the glue had squidged (to use the engineering terminology).

The clamps I have from my radio modelling days are a bit fierce for plastic models. Where I clamped the centres of the wings, the trailing edges have lifted slightly.

The cannon which are cast into the wings are rather vulnerable.

I am really enjoying this. :smiling3:

Last edited: