My first build - advice appreciated.

V

Vajled

hey oggy,

for a first model you are doing just fine...

try to sand away this glue marks on the wing fuselage joint with hi grade sanding paper, let me say 1200 mesh.

an also engline cowl joint iun front of canopy and also filled place on the belly...

and when you sanding do it with water, put sanding paper into water and sand away with wet paper...

you will see how will be better and you will not damage plastic with hard paper or some stick...

try that for start, you will see good result

Roman

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well It looks like a Spitfire, so you are going in the right direction.

The tips Roman gave you are pretty good ones.

As for your comment about using to much glue and having to sand off the squish, you are doing it just the way it should be done. You really need that little bead of melted plastic to just come out of the join.

That is the path to a seamless join. So thats a good thing.

One thing to be careful of when sanding seams and filler is not removing to many of the surface details. You will only have to put them back on again!

I will echo the comment made before. for a very first model you are doing a good job of it.

Ian M

First Name
Drew
Hey Oggy. Just noticed this thread, must have missed it before.

It's looking good so far.

I would have to agree with Ian regarding Roman's tips. If you have a look at some of his builds you'll see that he really knows what he's talking about.

O

Oggy

Sorry about the lack of progress. I have had a lot of problems with my magnifier. The first one when it arrived had obviously been out before. They forgot to send the second one for 10 days, and when it arrived it was new, but one of the pivots graunched horribly. I have also had problems getting liquid mask although John has come up trumps with that now. I have also been getting tools and paints together and learning how to use my airbrush on an old Airfix Vulcan airframe.

To get the Spit ready to paint I tried to get the rear (fixed) part of the canopy off the sprue and it cracked in two. I also had the front portion crack. This one is pretty much on it's way to the fire dump now. :sad:

Still, very useful as a learning excercise.

One question - if you are going to have the gear down, how do you attach the doors to the wing so they get painted correctly but you can get them off to attaxh to the gear legs?

Onwards. :beer:

T

tecdes

\ said:
To get the Spit ready to paint I tried to get the rear (fixed) part of the canopy off the sprue and it cracked in two. I also had the front portion crack. This one is pretty much on it's way to the fire dump now. :sad:

Still, very useful as a learning excercise.

One question - if you are going to have the gear down, how do you attach the doors to the wing so they get painted correctly but you can get them off to attaxh to the gear legs?

Onwards. :beer:
Should not worry about progress Oggy I work at my speed only it is my relaxation.

On the doors thing. I Paint most of my addons to the fuselage & wings before fitting into position. Not sure of your difficulties without seeing the detail.

Do not dump it Oggy. My first was a real mess but perservered & got it finished & is now in the hall of my fame ! For my first a Typhoon (WW11) I actually bought another to be able to finish it. But very pleased I did. It is about the only aircraft I have made which looks weathered but all for the wrong reasons.

Laurie

P

phalinmegob

the clear plastic used for canopies is a lot tougher and more brittle than normal plastic, i always use a razor saw to remove clear parts rather than a knife mainly because i dont have a good pair of snips.

V

Vajled

also you candone with heatet rasor knife...

slise it like thru cheese :smiling3:

Roman

O

Oggy

Thanks for the tips folks. I am plodding on with it as a learning excercise, but I don't think it's going to be on the mantlepiece.

Swagman 070

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Oggy, welcome to the forum. This is a great place for tips and advice.

I would say the first place to start any paining would be the cockpit. Small peices paint on the sprue, touch up when you cut them off. Don't forget to do a dry fit of the cockpit and fusilage. You dont want to be forcing things to fit together so a little sanding may be needed.

Swagman (Steve)

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Bad news about the canopy oggy, I feel your pain. One thing that I do when cutting some canopies is to put a layer of blue tac on my work bench about 3 mm thick. Push the canopy gently into the blue tac which helps to stabalise it when you cut( avoids you squeezing it when cutting) Make sure the piece of sprue you are cutting is supported on something solid and then press gently to cut. If you speak to the kit manufacturer they will be able to provide a replacement part. Good luck

O

Oggy

The little Spit marches on.

I have been learning how to use my airbrush and got to the point where I felt confident enough to use it properly.

IMG_9523med by Oggy20, on Flickr

What I learnt -

I did try blacking the panel lines with only partial success.

Tamiya acrylic is nicer to spray than humbrol enamel.

I do not get the filling I am used to with high build primer on my RC models.

Onwards :beer:

V

Vajled

this looks really great

Just keep that style and all will be fine at the end

Great job!

Roman

First Name
Aaron
Hey oggy this is looking sweet. Im in the finishing stages of an ICM spitfire, Do you recommend Tamiya's version? How was the fit overall? It really looks tidy great job mate.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Hey oggy this is looking sweet. Im in the finishing stages of an ICM spitfire, Do you recommend Tamiya's version? How was the fit overall? It really looks tidy great job mate.
So how are you finding the ICM Spitfire build and detail wise? After your reply to my comments on them I was rather surprised to read that you are building one. Did curiosity get the better of you??

Ian M

First Name
Aaron
Hi Ian, The reason that i said not to buy the ICM spitfire over Tamiya ones is because i AM building one and it has given me a headache since i opened it. Oil residue over all the sprue, Terrible gaps (great for filler and sanding practice) The engine is underscale yet too big for the cowling and the decals fall apart. Apart from that its a great kit lol. I cant knock the detailing and the value for money as its a cheap kit. Its been kinda fun tho.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I can agree about the decals, never had an ICM kit that they were any good. The release agent can be washed off, I normally wash before I build, so not a real problem there either.

I think that the end result is what counts the most, I like them, and for the price of one Tamiya you can get two or three ICMs, There are also a greater choice of mk's to choose from....

Any how, I think we have taken enough liberties in Rogers thread, so lets get back on track.

Ian M

O

Oggy

Little Spit is on finals now.

I tried masking the port wing with Blutack and the starboard with Tamiya tape. As can be seen, I was a bit heavy handed with the knife on the tape.

The decals are not going well. I started with the yellow part of the leading edge which shattered into lots of pieces so I masked and painted.

The roundels are double decals. Firstly a plain white one goes on then a coloured one. This is the first time I have come across this – why would they do it?

Another problem I came across as seen in the third photo – where surface detail protrudes, the decal goes wrinkly. When I tried pressing gently on the under decal it split. How do you get around this?

What I have learnt –

Masking even for simple camouflage patterns requies some effort.

Onwards :beer:

Last edited:
First Name
Aaron
Hi Oggy, Great to see an update for this beauty. I cut my tape on a icecream lid for camo stencil then apply the tape to the kit. Tamiya tape is awesome and very forgiving, meaning it can be pulled up a few times and remain tacky.

Painting the yellow wing marking is a good idea and easier (for me)

Bang Microsol on the offending decal and it should shrivel up then conform nicely over bumps and set into panel lines. Did you gloss before you did the decals? A gloss over them will seal them nicely and will take a panel line wash (if you do one)

Awesome camo job mate, I like this build so much that i ordered Tamiya's 1:48 Spitfire VB for myself

M

mobear

i agree aaron it lokks a nice kit and roger is doing a mighty fine job even with the probs he has encountered

mobear

V

Vajled

if i see right you cut of a bit of roundel?

try (if you dont have setter and softer) with a drop of gloss varnish under cutted roundel and with brush gently brush it in the place.

And of course after if is something visible, I mean tray of cutted roundel, go with little blue paint on that tray... after wash will not be visible at all

Roman