My first build LCVP

D

dm73

Hello all, I bit the bullet and bought my first kit, after trawling through the internet and looking at all types of armour i decided to keep away from the tanks and other big guns and thought i try something a bit different.

I decided to get the Italeri LCVP, doing a little research i discovered how pivotal these little craft were in all theatres of the war.

This is as far as i've got in the couple hours i had spare last night...

View attachment 19072

View attachment 19073

View attachment 19074

View attachment 19075

View attachment 19076

View attachment 19077

Thanks for looking and any advice on building this kit is most welcome.

Darren

View attachment 26531

View attachment 26532

View attachment 26533

View attachment 26534

View attachment 26535

View attachment 26536

IMG_0185.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg

IMG_0186.jpg

IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

F

Fenlander

Looks an interesting kit Darren, must be a fair size too. Only thing I can suggest at this stage is to take your time, plan ahead, such as working in sub assemblies for painting any parts that may be trickey to get to when it is all together. Any problems at all, stop and shout up, I am sure someone will offer advice. Above all, enjoy your first kit.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
doing a little research i discovered how pivotal these little craft were in all theatres of the war.Darren
They certainly were, operations Torch,Husky,the Anzio landings let alone Overlord would have been impossible without them. As for the Pacific,all those islands to land on!

It looks a good kit. There are some very good armour builders frequenting this forum so I'm sure you'll be able to get any help or advice you need.

Cheers

Steve

B

backonthecase

\ said:
Looks an interesting kit Darren, must be a fair size too. Only thing I can suggest at this stage is to take your time, plan ahead, such as working in sub assemblies for painting any parts that may be trickey to get to when it is all together. Any problems at all, stop and shout up, I am sure someone will offer advice. Above all, enjoy your first kit.
Superb advice Graham - and I've learned the hard way that it pays to test fit, test fit, triple test fit, then when you think you're done test fitting, test fit again! obviously some kits are worse than others but I believe this is an invaluable advice :smiling3:

Stuart

D

dm73

Thanks guys for the advice, a bit of a newbie question but in what order would you paint? reading about washes and pigments but in what order should i be using them and any recommendations on what makes to go for?

Ta

Darren

D

dm73

I'm after some help :lost:, after looking at page upon page of landing craft i'm still trying to work out what ships transported them, i know they were lowered from davits ( i think thats how its spelt) and the troops clambered down cargo nets into them. What about the jeeps? were they loaded at the docks or put in the lcvp's on board the transport ships.

Any help or links to sites would be really appreciated

Darren

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just a quick comment regarding the pigment side of things. Dont go to mad with the rust! 98% of the Higgins boat was made of wood. Metal armour around the motordeck and mc postitions. Armour plate on the out side of the hull.

More Later if you Google LCPV and read wikipedia there should be enough to get the idea.

IAn M

D

dm73

Thanks for that ian, just ordered some pigments and washes from the forum shop and looking forward to trying them out, had read about the wooden construction and looked at many photos on-line, most of the colour ones are of restored boats in museums and have no weathering or older photos are nearly all black and white.

Cheers

Darren

D

dm73

Morning all, a little bit of an update as time in the shed is getting limited:sobbing:, have stuck the main sub assemblies together and primed in halfrauds grey primer then a coat of Tamiya dark sea grey. once this was nice and dry i thought i'd give the pre shading ago around the panel lines. Had a couple beginner mistakes, i had painted the flat black bottom first then masked to do the grey, when i removed the tape, one side came off great, the other left a sticky residue that had to be sanded back down and repainted. The other was the front ramp cables, after a couple dry runs i decided to glue the inner to the outer hull and forgot to feed the cable between the two and didn't realise until the next day but i think i've overcome this now.

Next on the list is to finish the guns on the back and a couple other small parts then gloss varnish, decals, gloss again and then weathering.

A couple photos of the progress.

View attachment 19744

View attachment 19745

All comments welcome.

Darren

View attachment 27047

View attachment 27048

IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0198.jpg

B

Bunkerbarge

I think the progress on this is pretty amazing for a beginner. As for washes and pigments, there will be some internal areas that will have to be done as you go along but I would leave as much as possible to the end. If you do washes bit by bit you will never get exactly the same shade and density in any two areas so do the model as a whole when it's nearing completion. Pigments and rust effects as well are far better being done across the model in one go rather than doing them a little bit at a time other wise there is a danger of one side looking a bit dirtier than the other, so you do a bit more on the other siide, then that looks a bit more, etc...etc..until it ends up spoilt.

Above all else with washes, pigments, weathering rust etc... less is best. Don't be tempted to overdo it because you almost certainly will and it's probably one of the easiest traps for modellers to fall into. Do it gently with light washes first then only move on when you are happy. Test the wash on scrap to ensure that it isn't too dense and let it dry before you apply it to the model.

It's all about patience!

F

Fenlander

I think the progress on this is pretty amazing for a beginner
I think it is pretty amazing for anyone!!! Really coming on well, great advice above from Richard. So easy to get carried away, just be patient.

M

mike20

looks like you are progressing well. About the only comment I could suggest comes from mistakes I've made on weathering - do it slowly and take a break before you decide to add more (and more....) so you don't have something that suddenly goes from 'in use and a bit weathered' to 'ready for scrapping/unrecognisable under all the mud or rust or scratches' before you realise it!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I agree with all of the above. Its looking realy good. Also it is so true about the weathering take your time and relax. A boat or tank dont just come out the factory and is old and battered, the scars of use build up as time goes by. So this is a real case of do a bit and leave it. Then come back to it when its dry and do an audit of things. Remember to that high traffic areas, "walk ways" and the such will be cleaner than the suraounding areas but also more worn!

Looks like a good kit that, I might get one to add to my 1/35 scale fleet.

Ian M

D

dm73

Thanks all for the great feedback and advice, i've got my test piece sitting in the background (red bmw shell) that will get a coat of grey then i'll try the weathering on that before cracking on with the lcvp, then its the dreaded figures, i'm not looking forward to these with the uniforms and skin shades. i may purchase a basic figure set to practice on before making a mess of the crew.

Cheers all

Darren

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Very nice,you are making some good progress there. If ever I build a model without some cock up or without forgetting some vital stage I'll start a thread about it! I think your build is progressing entirely normally.

Cheers

Steve

D

dm73

LOL, cheers Steve, i'm sure there will be plenty more cock ups to report soon.

Darren

D

dm73

A little more progress as i have limited time in the shed, after trawling the local supermarkets for future/klear i had to purchase some gloss varnish from John's shop.

I gave the model a good coat all over then after it dried i attached the supplied decals then another good coat of gloss. I started the crew but can honestly say i made a hash of them so i will re-undercoat then try and try again.

View attachment 20319

View attachment 20320

View attachment 20321

Bring on the weathering!

Cheers

Darren

View attachment 27456

View attachment 27457

View attachment 27458

IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Darren

That looks like a quality build - looks like you've got yer own little dry dock on yer bench!

I've got the Italeri LCVP too so I'm looking forward to this one. I've got a couple of reference book on landing craft, landing ships etc - so I'll have a look for the info you've requested. My guess is that both boat and ship would be lowered onto the water together as I can't see them lowering a jeep into a pitching flat bottomed craft (could be wrong though).

Looking great so far

:welldone:

Paul