My first Diorama.

F

Fenlander

For some reason I had not spotted this until it came up in 'Recent Posts' this morning. This is just amazing I have just read from start to last post while having my first cupa of the day. The cup of tea went cold as I just couldn't take my eyes off this amazing build. To have seen it when finished would have been a treat but for you to share the techniques and progress like this, it is just stunning. Many thanks and I look forward to seeing it grow.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I can't think of words good enough to do this justice Joolz.........................

Have a great Christmas and New Year.

Ron

P

Plastickitbasher

What can I say, wow, great, stunning, fab. Totally inspired to try something myself in the new year.

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
I can only mirror what's already been said, WOW, SUPERB and AMAZING!! I'm with Plasticlitbasher on this one, i've got to have a go at something like this.

Thanks for showing, John

B

Backbreaker

:shocking:Just a quick note to say I may not have chance to post anymore of the build until the new year.

Many thanks for the support and kind words chaps, it really helps with the modeling mojo :clap3:

All the best for 2010, BB

B

Backbreaker

Well I've had a great Christmas but, not much modelling has taken place, you know places to go and people too see

Started to scratch some of the bits and pieces for the inside of the house.

Making some radiators from sheet styrene and plastic lolly pop sticks, more work needed here to finish them but you can get the idea. Made a broken mirror and a picture for the wall.

Also made an overcoat from Rizla paper, to hang on the coat hooks under the stairs; still needs painting.

Also started to make the ends of a double bed which will be painted white and added too the piles of debris.

BB.

PS hopefully I'll get back up to speed soon .

F

Fenlander

Glad to see you back, I have been looking forward to seeing this continue. I think Christmas has brought a bit of a diorama surge on here and seeing the attention to detail that you are going to, it will continue to inspire. Love the radiators.

N

noble

this is looking amazing the attention to detail is outstanding mate well done.

scott

B

Backbreaker

Thanks chaps!

I'm learning so much on this build and can't wait to finish this one and start the next, though I don't know what it will be yet.

Any ideas as to what I can use to create a 1/35 scale telegraph pole?

cheers BB.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi joolz, good to see the dio back . Try using the round bamboo skewers you can get for making your own shish kebabs,they come in packs of about a hundred for around £1. I tend to use them for stirring paint but they look about perfect diameter for a 1/35 telegraph pole too, I think I got mine from home bargains or wilkinsons but theyre available anywhere really. hope this helps,cheers tony

B

Backbreaker

Hmmm Telegraph poles.

Thanks for the idea Tony, but unfortunately with this bad weather and my disability the shops seem like they may as well be in Australia .

So I had to try and improvise, adapt, overcome, (to quote Clint Eastwood). How to turn square lengths of Balsa wood into round ones? Hmmm?

First I tried too whittle it with a craft knife, but ended up with loads of kindling / debris. Doh!

Thought about trying to make a mini lathe with my dremmel ,but had a vision of this ending in disaster, you know bits everywhere and craft knife blades embedded into flesh!

Then it came too me. Why not use the vegetable peeler to get the shape as round as possible, then finish off with sand paper?

And you know what? Eureka! It worked a treat and I was able to control the pressure and cut depth, I even managed to taper it.

BB.

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Good old Heartbreak Ridge, can't beat it. Now then Gunnery Sergeant Highway, sound idea will give it a go on my next project.

Thanks BB, you're a genius.

This is the AK-47 assault rifle, the preferred weapon of your enemy; and it makes a distinctive sound when fired at you, so remember it, i'm off lol

D

Dograt

Thats Class mate, I would have sent my team of helpers out but they still would have not come back with anything !

B

Backbreaker

Well having had a sh1t few weeks I'm getting back to feeling half human again

So built a telegraph pole from balsa, styrene, wire and the insulators made from sprue that I turned in my dremel and shaped with the heal of a craft knife to create a decent shape.

Finished the radiator, and bed ends,scratch built a drop leaf table, a chest of draws with slight damage and a wardrobe.

Started to paint the furniture by building up thin layers of oak colour too add a grain effect and try to create a sort of walnut/mahogany colour scheme. More layers needed.

Also scratch built a couple of dinning chairs from styrene.

Next I painted the Rizla overcoat and hung it on the coat hooks under the stairs. Hollowed out a pair of boots from a 1/35 figure out of the spares box to represent a pair of wellington boots. Also added a shooting stick propped against the wall and a walking stick, hanging on the coat hooks.

I thought I'd try something that I haven't seen before, using Mica to create broken glass in the windows. Got this bag for 50p, and although the sheets are thin being Mica it is easy to split, thus each sheet can be split into 3, maybe 4 sheets, resulting in very thin pieces indeed.

This sheet can in fact be split into 3 or 4 more sheets.

This is the Mica in the window frame.

Added all the windows to the house, and filled the tiny gaps around the frame.

Hinges and handles added to the upstairs windows.

Well thats it for now and hopefully I will be up to full speed again.

Thanks for viewing and comments/feedback welcome.

BB.

D

dubster72

Stunning work as ever BB! I think most of what you've done so far could be incorporated into a mastercase of small-scale building! And that rizla overcoat is brilliant! Where is that mica stuff from? I wouldn't mind some.

Patrick

B

Backbreaker

\ said:
Stunning work as ever BB! I think most of what you've done so far could be incorporated into a mastercase of small-scale building! And that rizla overcoat is brilliant! Where is that mica stuff from? I wouldn't mind some.Patrick
Hi Patrick,

Thanks again for the kind words!

I used this site for loads of stuff, not your common modelling shop, but hey to miss-quote the stones "you CAN always get what you want", you just have to look!

Have a browse, loads of goodies.

http://www.mutr.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=543_544&products_id=1009505

BB.

D

dubster72

lol you shouldn't have put that site up-I can see far too many things that I'd buy, if only just to mess around with!

Patrick

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
WOW!! BB, top work bud. I'd best not show the wife this thread because she'll have you making us a new dinning table and chairs.

Can't wait to see this all together as one, John