My first ever building ( scratch built )

F

Fenlander

This is beginning to look really good Robert. Hats off to you for having a go, really must pull my finger out.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
great progress so far on this one,Robert,do like the floor boards,as said looking like they should,, ;)

First Name
Robert
Been busy with odd shifts at work so not too much time on the model front. Got the floor done after a few head scratches on how to do it. I made a X form then CA this to the walls and then doubled up on the beams then started Laying odd floorboards. I'll need to adores the doorway once all this dry . I thought of the partianing walls and well I could have gone down the route of 2mm plastic but thought use strong card and brace with wood internally ( two walls ready for decor

With the hard card braced this was another support for the roof beams and so cracked on with that.The roof will have tiles on top of the wood

I've ordered some ballast which will be for rendering for the outer walls ( thanks Ralph on advice there )

It's no where near complete but some pics

Comments welcome

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

D

Deleted member 4539

Coming along real well.

Do like you are adding internal walls.

First Name
Robert
Thanks Ralph ( still using your ideas but invention of a few myself ( if it works )

Regards

Robert

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
coming along very nicely,do like the internal wall,as well, ;)

First Name
Stuart
\ said:
Well got me my last four/ five Windows cut out ( took me half the time but still nursing a throbbing thumb.
Next step I'll look at addressing the brickwork pattern ) Tamiya pre painted then I might attempt dry fitting the two pieces before I start on the wall partitions.Ill start making some tiles from the 2mm pieces cut out from the windows.

I have to build also framing for the Windows and ledges ( I'll be using 2mm plastic card and also wooden rods but I'll post pics of these once complete

Pics

Comments welcome

View attachment 147867 View attachment 147868 View attachment 147869 View attachment 147870
\ said:
Well got me my last four/ five Windows cut out ( took me half the time but still nursing a throbbing thumb.
Next step I'll look at addressing the brickwork pattern ) Tamiya pre painted then I might attempt dry fitting the two pieces before I start on the wall partitions.Ill start making some tiles from the 2mm pieces cut out from the windows.

I have to build also framing for the Windows and ledges ( I'll be using 2mm plastic card and also wooden rods but I'll post pics of these once complete

Pics

Comments welcome

View attachment 147867 View attachment 147868 View attachment 147869 View attachment 147870
Looking really good Robert.

The build is really coming together nicely and I must say you have the patience of a saint with those tiles

First Name
Robert
\ said:
Looking good,
Thanks Ken I just can't wait to get some colour on those walls and start staining that wood ( still waiting on my Compresor coming in. I have made over 200 tiles for the roof and I'm thinking should I start at the top of the roof to lay ( never laid tiles before)

Regards

Robert

First Name
Robert
\ said:
Looking really good Robert.
The build is really coming together nicely and I must say you have the patience of a saint with those tiles
Thanks Stuart

As I said to Ken I gave over 200 tiles to lay but think I'm going to dark stain the roof wood first ( paint thinner coats of wood colours to stain the wood.

I've never laid roof tiles in my life but looking from ref pics it's start at the top row and overlap?

Regards

Robert

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
outstanding work really like that sheet brick work really does work well look forward to seeing more of this

D

Deleted member 4539

\ said:
Thanks Stuart
As I said to Ken I gave over 200 tiles to lay but think I'm going to dark stain the roof wood first ( paint thinner coats of wood colours to stain the wood.

I've never laid roof tiles in my life but looking from ref pics it's start at the top row and overlap?

Regards

Robert
You need to start with the bottom layer of tiles and work your way upwards.That way you overlap the tiles by putting them on top of each other:smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Just to add a bit more to Ralph's post.

Start in the bottom right corner with a full tile and work along. The second row will start with a half tile, also in the bottom right corner. Then away you go - full, half, full.....to the top.

..........also, as it's tiles, you can get away with showing about 2/3rds. of the tile when covering with the next row. (If it was slate, it would be a half lap) Keep about a 4" scale overhang going up the brickwork and the same along the bottom. Don't forget to stagger the tile joints. Also, don't worry what will happen with the tile spacing when you reach the top, just keep the tiles the same overlap all the way up.

All looking good.

Ron

First Name
Robert
Thankyou guys for all the positive comments. I'm really enjoying building this. I will prob do another building ( poss an outside loo, but not sure if I can make a toilet ( poss out of clay?

I may have to redo my tiles as I have noticed with the 1/35 scale they look a bit small to scale ( put a soldier by a tile and looks too small.

More measuring and more cutting but hope to get tiling done by Friday

Regards

Robert

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Robert, I wouldn't worry about your scale tiles being too small. Lots of model roofs have the tiles/slates far too big in scale.

I have worked with real roof tiles 8" wide X 12" high, sometimes even smaller. There are so many size variables I would use what you have made, it's a pity not to, and who's to say yours are the wrong size? No one!

Cheers,

Ron

First Name
Robert
Now I had to have a halt on the tiles as my wife came up with a super duper idea and I would like your opinion.

Well to begin with I had cut out approx 200 tiles from 2mm plastic card but when I started laying them they just didn't look right even without paint.

Busy day in the office today and when I came home wife says I got your roof tiles sorted ( sort of )

She had bought me a pack of 6 hot cups from home bargains at .65p for 6 and said can't you use the sleeves as they look like tiles? I have to admit I think she has nailed it. So I cut them 6 divest each and overlapped as advice given. So it's out there and I'm asking opinion ( it's only card but will I'm sure paint well and weather just like any other model

Comments welcome:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

D

Deleted member 4539

What a clever idea of your wife.

I think when they are all on and painted they would look great.

Why don't you make a test roof and paint it and weather it and then you will know for sure. :smiling3:

First Name
Robert
\ said:
What a clever idea of your wife.
I think when they are all on and painted they would look great.

Why don't you make a test roof and paint it and weather it and then you will know for sure. :smiling3:
I'm glad you asked me that one Ralph

I made a test piece earlier and well tried 3 paints all Revell Aqua ( seems to not fade or weaken the card.

The first to the right most is No 85 once dry I put oil wash burnt umber ) I like this look.

Middle I tried reddish brown No 37 and again same wash ( this looks more Mediterranean than Germany 45

The last to the left was 69 granite grey and given the same wash ( this looks good too )

Comments welcome

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

First Name
Stuart
\ said:
Well little update
After chatting with Ralph I decide to put the two pieces together and think it's not a bad old fit ( there will be rendering so this will hide the joint.

I started on the upstairs flooring and this has been acheived by drilling pilot holes in the front beam and inserting skewers ( I'll trim these later ).I straightened out and trimmed some coffee stirrers which will represent floor boards. It is a suck it and see but I think it's not too bad. I coated the whole floor in PVA thinned with water to see if it will join all the pieces together ( later they will be painted and weaterhered.)Once the ground floor is similarly done I'll start on the dividing walls then roof ( that's gonna be fun )

View attachment 148119 View attachment 148120 View attachment 148121 View attachment 148122
I have been watching the build and it's coming along nicely.

I know it's not a simple task but you make it look easy to scratch build.

The building looks great and the floor boards look perfect.

Great work real talent