My first ever building ( scratch built )

First Name
Robert
\ said:
I have been watching the build and it's coming along nicely.
I know it's not a simple task but you make it look easy to scratch build.

The building looks great and the floor boards look perfect.

Great work real talent
Thanks Stuart

I'm really enjoying this build and although it's a first I think it's turning out pretty not bad. I've tiled the roof now and I'll let it set overnight

I've also put in another patrician wall downstairs. My wife has asked me to make some bits of furniture IE table and broken chairs, possibly do a rug or some ripped carpet ( I'm not building a dolls house but I can see where she's coming from

Wish me luck

Robert

First Name
Stuart
\ said:
Thanks Stuart
I'm really enjoying this build and although it's a first I think it's turning out pretty not bad. I've tiled the roof now and I'll let it set overnight

I've also put in another patrician wall downstairs. My wife has asked me to make some bits of furniture IE table and broken chairs, possibly do a rug or some ripped carpet ( I'm not building a dolls house but I can see where she's coming from

Wish me luck

Robert
She has a good point as no house would be empty.

I would probably put some rubble on the floor area as well as bits of tiles and rafters when you get to that point.

Great build though and good luck with the rest

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi Robert I collected some of those last time we went for a coffee (no idea what for but thought they must have possibilities ) your missus just gave me one (an idea I mean)and you've proved it works, my missus used to look at me like I'm mad sometimes when we're out and I stick something in my pocket, now she just says "models" I just nod my head.

They look great, all of the versions have merit for different dio's.

First Name
Robert
\ said:
I like the right hand side colour.
I do agree in that this sort of red slate, given the correct amounts of wash should look quite right for the building roof. Revell Aqua are good to thin either with water or their Aqua mix which has a retarder in I think .

It's hard to justify colours from b/w pics, but this leaves the modeller to experiment on what looks right

I may have to now look for wood colours ( dark wood ) as my wife suggested I make an attempt on a broken chair/ table. Even thought of a scrap piece of carpet.

Postie brought me the stone chipping 00 scale for the rendering and I'll start that later by mixing with PVA.

Robert

D

Deleted member 4539

They are good ideas to add.Bit of broken furniture and such like.

As for mixing the render with pva to start with,I'm not so sure about that.

What I do is add the pva to where you want it and then put the render on, then tip the excess off.

0ne48thtel

\ said:
Hi Robert I collected some of those last time we went for a coffee (no idea what for but thought they must have possibilities ) your missus just gave me one (an idea I mean)and you've proved it works, my missus used to look at me like I'm mad sometimes when we're out and I stick something in my pocket, now she just says "models" I just nod my head.
They look great, all of the versions have merit for different dio's.
My wife calls me a Womble because I am always scavenging bits and pieces.

0ne48thtel

This is looking good Robert the tile idea is great tip. I would guess the colour of the tiles would depend on the region you are setting the build in.

First Name
Robert
\ said:
They are good ideas to add.Bit of broken furniture and such like.
As for mixing the render with pva to start with,I'm not so sure about that.

What I do is add the pva to where you want it and then put the render on, then tip the excess off.
That sounds a better idea

I was going on the assumption of the way I would do it with car litter but your suggest sounds easier

Thanks Ralph

Robert

First Name
Robert
Update roof tiles on and I have made the damage to the area where a mortar shell or HE went off and destroyed that part of the house.The whole roof once dry got a tinned coat of PVA/ water with wide brush and now it's rock solid, ready for painting.

Now for rendering.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

First Name
Stuart
\ said:
Update roof tiles on and I have made the damage to the area where a mortar shell or HE went off and destroyed that part of the house.The whole roof once dry got a tinned coat of PVA/ water with wide brush and now it's rock solid, ready for painting.
Now for rendering.

View attachment 148820 View attachment 148821
\ said:
Now for rendering.

View attachment 148820 View attachment 148821
That looks amazing Robert

Love what you have done with the roof can't wait to see the next stage .

Great job all the way through this build

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
EXCELLENT work so far Robert, I like it a lot! once I get the gut bucket off my head I may take a crack at doing a building, Yours looks fantastic so far;).......Jim:smiling3:

First Name
Robert
\ said:
This is looking good Robert the tile idea is great tip. I would guess the colour of the tiles would depend on the region you are setting the build in.
Hi Terry well the scratch build is to be part of my "Out of gas out of time" dio and this will be with a Jagdpanzer 1/35 on roadside with US personnel etc and POWs ( oh it's gonna be a biggie me thinks ) but I'm trying to depict northern Germany ( I think) is it Hungary way? 1945

First Name
Robert
\ said:
EXCELLENT work so far Robert, I like it a lot! once I get the gut bucket off my head I may take a crack at doing a building, Yours looks fantastic so far;).......Jim:smiling3:
Thanks Jim this is great honour and praise from what I've seen you build! ( my hoping it doesn't go pear shaped at the end.

:D :D:D:rolleyes::rolleyes:o_Oo_O

Robert

First Name
Robert
Made a simple table ( weathered with burnt umber and will try a bit more oils to get a better finish

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

First Name
Robert
Rendering is on and how I want it to look ( what brickwork is showing is going to get damage and weathered )(thanks Ralph for the tip on the PVA and ballast )

Pics :

comments welcome

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

F

Fenlander

Got to admire how you have picked up the ball from Ralph's great tutorial and run with it Robert. It is so tempting to say you are making a great job of it for your first attempt. I just think you are making a great job of it, there is nothing that makes this look like a first attempt at all.

First Name
Robert
\ said:
Got to admire how you have picked up the ball from Ralph's great tutorial and run with it Robert. It is so tempting to say you are making a great job of it for your first attempt. I just think you are making a great job of it, there is nothing that makes this look like a first attempt at all.
Thanks Graham

I have to take my cap off to Ralph on his know how and this has been a journey that I have not yet truly enjoyed to its fullest. I still have a long ways to go though.

Regards

Robert

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Some Stirling work there Robert.

I'm a bit late with this one but it's been a very interesting read. I'm looking forward to the next update.