Neil's 1/32 WWI Nurse

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Working from the top down I have stopped at the waist, and in order to pad out what could be a very short thread, here are some WIP pics.
Here's the comparison shot showing the finished whites but first pass on the blue.

Top half 1.JPG

For those who are interested in these things, I underpainted the highlights with white and the shade with Vallejo Field Blue70.964. The blue itself is Vallejo Model Air UK Azure, which is an RAF desert sky colour , and a bit thinner out of the bottle which allowed the underpainting to show through.
I thought that was good enough until I saw the pic ,when I decided there was too much contrast so I had another go with the blue. Unfortunately that destroyed the contrast completely, so then I had to go back in with the shade and highlight!
For the whites I underpainted the highlights with white and used Off White for the Apron and Grey White for the sleeves, with a bit of Deck Tan mixed into each for the shading.
Anyway here she is.

Top half 2.JPGTop half 3.JPGTop half 4.JPGTop half 5.JPG
It really is a lovely sculpt by Nino Pizzichemi, with totally convincing creases and drapery.
I think I'm going to use a decal for the red cross, though...
Thanks for looking in
Neil

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Extremely excellent work Mr. Merryweather. I'm taking notes of your steps for when I paint my next figures. TW does/did have some greatly sculpted figures. I have one of John Race that I bought from Darren back in 2017 in Veldhoven. One day........................

Prost
Allen

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great painting Neil, and thanks for the tips on the white with using Off White for the Apron and Grey White for the sleeves, with a bit of Deck Tan mixed into each for the shading. :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Marvellous work Neil. Very inspiring but it will be a long time before I attempt such work.

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
That's looking great, Neil. No need for decals for the Red Cross - you've done a great job on it freehand.

If you're dissatisfied with it (you shouldn't be), you could go back and forth correcting it with red and white to your heart's content - but it looks excellent as-is, IMO. Maybe just the curse of checking our work via the unflinching, unforgiving gaze of the camera?