Neo refused to spray.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Did the normal clean after spraying a dark colour before changing to white. When I tighten up the nozzle cap there is no air, undo it and it flows ? Any advice please.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Another clean. A strip one. Issues such as this are usually down to that. I have often thought my airbrush was perfectly clean, after cleaning, for it to stick, block or something else. Always another clean up solves it.

Some tips
First do a back wash in the normal way and wipe around everywhere with a cotton bud.

Then strip it down, remove nozzle needle etc and drop them in a small glass of airbrush solvent. A lacquer thinner works well for this regardless pretty much of the type of paint. This losens any residue.

Remove parts one by one from the solvent with an tweezer and clean them off. Depending on what it is I might wipe with a kitchen towel, a cotton bud, run the part through with an airbrush cleaning brush dipped in solvent or, a dentist paper point.

if I am between projects I will finish off by popping the parts in an ultrasonic cleaner for a few minutes.

Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Another clean. A strip one. Issues such as this are usually down to that. I have often thought my airbrush was perfectly clean, after cleaning, for it to stick, block or something else. Always another clean up solves it.

Some tips
First do a back wash in the normal way and wipe around everywhere with a cotton bud.

Then strip it down, remove nozzle needle etc and drop them in a small glass of airbrush solvent. A lacquer thinner works well for this regardless pretty much of the type of paint. This losens any residue.

Remove parts one by one from the solvent with an tweezer and clean them off. Depending on what it is I might wipe with a kitchen towel, a cotton bud, run the part through with an airbrush cleaning brush dipped in solvent or, a dentist paper point.

if I am between projects I will finish off by popping the parts in an ultrasonic cleaner for a few minutes.
Thanks Barry, going back into the cave after a cup of tea , will do that.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Ive had this happen,bit of grud built up around the aircap hole blocking the airflow,if im in midspray just undid the cap a fraction to open the gap, failing that remove it and a poke with a cocktail stick.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I reckon Barry's right John. A good, deep clean.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
If I may add; I'd be concentrating on the hole in the centre of the nozzle cap if screwing that on stops airflow. They can build up a film on the inside which then acts like a seal when tightened on.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
The only reason I stopped using my Neo was that despite multiple cleans it still blows air back into the paint cup constantly causing paint to splatter all over the place and rendering it unusable.... I've tried no end of times to sort it out...but no luck, so now it just sits in the draw, unloved....

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The only reason I stopped using my Neo was that despite multiple cleans it still blows air back into the paint cup constantly causing paint to splatter all over the place and rendering it unusable.... I've tried no end of times to sort it out...but no luck, so now it just sits in the draw, unloved....
A bad case of 'No Spray Neoh'! perhaps ?
Steve

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Well if you want to donate it to a good home... ;)
Pete

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Ive had this happen,bit of grud built up around the aircap hole blocking the airflow,if im in midspray just undid the cap a fraction to open the gap, failing that remove it and a poke with a cocktail stick.
I reckon Barry's right John. A good, deep clean.
If I may add; I'd be concentrating on the hole in the centre of the nozzle cap if screwing that on stops airflow. They can build up a film on the inside which then acts like a seal when tightened on.
Thanks guys , I soaked all the small parts in AB cleaner, put all back together and still no luck .Mark your problem sounds exactly like mine .
Tonight I had a test, replaced the needle and tip ,using the original size that comes with the AB .35 air flows well , but using the other still no air .I can't see any crud . Complete baffled.

Never had much success with a AB , have 2 H&S Ultra's , remember the needle mix up along with those unmarked nozzles I had ?
Have even thought of getting a complete set of replacement , needle, nozzle and cap for one .

Infinity CRplus , have one in the drawer as well , again mixed up the nozzels before they put rings on them .
Now have the figures half primed, was going to spray the white down from the top. All that has happened is I have splatters of white :angry:

The joys of AB 's :confused:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
A while ago I bought some mini cotton buds - like cocktail sticks with a bit of cotton wool on the end, ideal for cleaning inside the air cap. I can't remember where I bought them (perhaps Amazon) or what they were called though.
Pete

Update - found them: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ZHIYE-Eyebrow-Make-up-Dedicated-Picking/dp/B08185JWXW/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?crid=2CRBE3X3UM2GJ&keywords=cotton+swabs+pointed&qid=1677880351&sprefix=cotton+swabs,aps,484&sr=8-3-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1
Thanks .
Just had a look Pete, they do appeal, better than those std cotton buds .

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hope you get to the bottom of it John, since i got my iwata eclipse hp cr ive had no problems, never take it apart to clean it,just give it a good blow through with cleaner,very occasionally the paint wont come through and just pull the needle out ,a quick wipe with cleaner and like new again.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hope you get to the bottom of it John, since i got my iwata eclipse hp cr ive had no problems, never take it apart to clean it,just give it a good blow through with cleaner,very occasionally the paint wont come through and just pull the needle out ,a quick wipe with cleaner and like new again.
Thanks Mark .
Changing back to the .34 needle and nozzle seems have worked, will check again in the morning. As a precaution I've ordered a new needle set for my Ultra , along with an internal seal set !

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have the same issue with my CRplus. I put it down to micro crud in the paint and maybe to fine a pointy end. A quick "wash" of the tip with a thinners soaked paint brush normally sorts it. Otherwise its a strip search.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Pleased to read I'm not alone . I was looking at various forums , found quite a lot of people with issues. Even with top of the range products from the H&S and Iawata ranges people having problems with acrylics .
It's no wonder I am hovering to a change of paint type , to something like Tamiya or MRP and AK real .

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
It's no wonder I am hovering to a change of paint type , to something like Tamiya or MRP and AK real .
Best thing I did was moving to "lacquer" based paints for airbrushing. I know many get along with water based acrylics fine but it was just so much of a faff for me with the constant tip dry, blockages and cleaning. Mr color & mrp have just worked perfectly for me.

Main problem is they don't brush paint very well.

Might be worth giving Steve Jones a shout about Mr hobby aqueous. I gave him a couple to try and think he really likes them. Might be the best of both worlds.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Best thing I did was moving to "lacquer" based paints for airbrushing. I know many get along with water based acrylics fine but it was just so much of a faff for me with the constant tip dry, blockages and cleaning. Mr color & mrp have just worked perfectly for me.

Might be worth giving Steve Jones a shout about Mr hobby aqueous. I gave him a couple to try and think he really likes them. Might be the best of both worlds.
You are absolutely right Andy. MRP while the very best for airbrushing are useless for hand brushing. What I do is have a small selection of basic Vallejo MC paint for hand brushing fine detail and anything that I cannot mask. By a small selection, I do mean small, 22 bottles in all, mostly basic colours and metallics. I have considered getting the MRP water based paint for this as I am sure they are equally good quality. One day I might do so.

Unusually today I found that I needed to hand brush a little olive drab and I only have that as MRP so I had to mix yellow and black Vallejo. Its not often I have to hand brush a colour I would normally spray but I have found it easy to mix a ‘close enough’ shade from my VMC.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John

You are absolutely right Andy. MRP while the very best for airbrushing are useless for hand brushing. What I do is have a small selection of basic Vallejo MC paint for hand brushing fine detail and anything that I cannot mask. By a small selection, I do mean small, 22 bottles in all, mostly basic colours and metallics. I have considered getting the MRP water based paint for this as I am sure they are equally good quality. One day I might do so.
Andy and Barry , thank you .
I've some AK real colour and a bottle of their thinners , would this work with the MRP or the MR Colour . These are all " lacquer " as far as I can understand .
I'd certainly keep all my Acrylics for brush painting like Barry .
Any ideas ?