New to forum

L

Lance B

Hi all. New to forum and one of the old guys that used to make models as a kid between 40-47 years ago, made many of the Airfix WWII planes and ships as a well as a few Revell models. I must say that I did make some quite good models and painted then up well with much attention to detail, considering my age and limited resources. Way back then, it was Humbrol paint and Airfix glue as many of you would know.

I have just purchased a Dragon model 1/350 scale Scharnhorst - yet to be received, an Airfix kit I also made as a kid. Being unfamiliar with modern kits and construction methods, I am wondering what type of glue is best to be used and what type of paints? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I have also purchased the Wood Deck option and am trying to get the Photo-Etched Railing Upgrade set as well.

Thanks in advance.

B

Bunkerbarge

Firstly Lance welcome to the forum. You are amongst many like you here who have returned to modelling later in life and remeniscing about how we started off all those years ago.

You might find this thread an interesting read to start with which may well generate further questions but hopefully which may well answer a few along the way:

http://scale-models.co.uk/threads/back-to-basics.2298/

Most of all of course we hope you enjoy your time here.

L

Lance B

\ said:
Hi and welcome to the forum Lance.
The glue I use is Tamiya extra thin

Paint mostly use acrylic Vallejo
Thank you very much for your kind welcome and information, Ian. :smiling3:

L

Lance B

\ said:
Firstly Lance welcome to the forum. You are amongst many like you here who have returned to modelling later in life and remeniscing about how we started off all those years ago.
You might find this thread an interesting read to start with which may well generate further questions but hopefully which may well answer a few along the way:

http://scale-models.co.uk/threads/back-to-basics.2298/

Most of all of course we hope you enjoy your time here.
Thank you very much for your very kind welcome and information as well, Richard. I will have a look through that link. :smiling3:

D

dougie

Hi mate, welcome to the forums. There isn't a friendlier forum out there! You will get lots of help and hopefully will stick with us.

Personally I use Tamiya thin cement and the revell contacta cement.

L

Lance B

\ said:
Hi mate, welcome to the forums. There isn't a friendlier forum out there! You will get lots of help and hopefully will stick with us.
Personally I use Tamiya thin cement and the revell contacta cement.
Thank you very much for your warm welcome and tips, Dougie! :smiling3: Oh, and I like your little pun, "You will get lots of help and hopefully will stick with us." :D

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Welcome to the forum Lance, as stated many of us have returned to the hobby after kids have been booted out or illness.

I still use various glues, Humbrol-CA-contact adhesive, two part epoxy. As for paints, enamels, acrylics, rattle cans, matt paint tester pots. All have a place and a use.

Check the forum, have a laugh and enjoy yourself.

Si:smiling3:

P

Polux

Hi Lance, welcome to the forum!

I use the Revell glue...

About paints, I always paint with acrylics and add the weathering using enamels :smiling3:

Best regards

Polux

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Welcome from me too Lance....I'm guessing you're waiting for the Airfix Bismark? I think lots of people cut their modelling teeth on that kit!

I brush paint only and use both Vallejo acrylic Model Colour and Model Air (Which is for airbrushing, but I get good results with it using a brush)

For detail work I use Humbrol Enamels in small tinlets.

For gluing plastic, I use Revell Contacta.

Jump in feet first, this a nice forum to be a part of.

Cheers,

Ron

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Hi Lance,

Welcome on board mate........ Enjoy your stay.

L

Lance B

\ said:
Welcome to the forum Lance, as stated many of us have returned to the hobby after kids have been booted out or illness.
I still use various glues, Humbrol-CA-contact adhesive, two part epoxy. As for paints, enamels, acrylics, rattle cans, matt paint tester pots. All have a place and a use.

Check the forum, have a laugh and enjoy yourself.

Si:smiling3:
Than you very much for your kind welcome and for all the information, Si! :smiling3:

D

dougie

I forgot to say... Micro scale krystal klear for clear parts.

L

Lance B

\ said:
Hi Lance, welcome to the forum!
I use the Revell glue...

About paints, I always paint with acrylics and add the weathering using enamels :smiling3:

Best regards

Polux
Thank you very much for your warm welcome and information, Polux! :smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
I forgot to say... Micro scale krystal klear for clear parts.
Don't listen to him Lance...he has to get his daughter to paint his models... :P :D