New to forum

L

Lance B

\ said:
Welcome from me too Lance....I'm guessing you're waiting for the Airfix Bismark? I think lots of people cut their modelling teeth on that kit!
I brush paint only and use both Vallejo acrylic Model Colour and Model Air (Which is for airbrushing, but I get good results with it using a brush)

For detail work I use Humbrol Enamels in small tinlets.

For gluing plastic, I use Revell Contacta.

Jump in feet first, this a nice forum to be a part of.

Cheers,

Ron
Thank you very much for your lovely welcome, Ron! :smiling3:

I hadn't considered the Airfix Bismarck at this stage, but it's a great ship and one I might look at.

Thank you also for all the valuable info!

L

Lance B

\ said:
Hi Lance. Welcome aboard.
Is this the kit you've ordered?

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/dkm-scharnhorst-1943-1-350-dragon-kit-extras.30223/

If so, it will be well worth your while to follow Derek's build. He's done some absolute crackers!
Thank you very much for your warm welcome and info, Dave! :smiling3:

Yes, that's the kit and I've already had a look at that thread, very informative. In fact, this is how I found this excellent site as I Googled Scharnhorst model forum and up came this site. :smiling3:

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Welcome, I hope you enjoy your stay! :smiling3:

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Welcome aboard looking forward to your build thread. Glue I mainly use tamiya thin and mr cement cheers John

D

dougie

\ said:
Don't listen to him Lance...he has to get his daughter to paint his models... :P :D
Had to change the rating from funny to agree :oops:

C

Caledonia

Lance, Here is what I use. Everyone has their own preferences which I respect, so treat this as guidance only, even the beginner probably has some tools that will work just as well.

First photo -

-Side cutter

-Set of needle files

-Pointed tweezers

-Craft knife: a curved blade is good for handling photo etch, the straight angled blade is a good all rounder.

-Last item is a fibre glass eraser, good for sanding awkward corners and cleaning up cement overspill.

-Fine grade wire wool is also handy for cleaning up seams etc. as is Halfords wet &dry paper 1500 grit

View attachment 118926

Second Photo

-Tamiya Masking Tape 6mm and 10m wide

-Small craft knife

View attachment 118927

Third Photo

-Small long nosed pliers

-Miniature drill set

-Pin vice

View attachment 118928

Fourth Photo

Thin Glue such as Mr Hobby shown on the left, and Loctite GEL super glue, are the two essentials. Mr Hobby is thin, and uses capillary action to join pieces together, very thin minimum mess. The GEL is good for rigging and for holding very small pieces in position.

The Rocket glue is only needed if you plan to use photo etch (PE), very strong, but gives you enough time to position items accurately. Overspill is easily cleaned up with the fibre glass eraser mentioned above.

The ZAP thin CA glue, again is only needed for (PE) where you have seams, here the thin nature of the glue uses capillary action to join the seams.

View attachment 118929

Fifth Photo

-Blue Tack is a modellers favourite for holding things in position while gluing and painting, and picking up very small objects.

-Filler, you use a lot of this on model aircraft, but very little on ships, handy to have though.

View attachment 118930

Sixth Photo

-Bending tools; only needed if you are planning to use photo etch, a straight edge (a 6" steel ruler would do) and an old single sided razor blade are ideal. But you might want to think about a hold and bend tool if you want to get serious.

View attachment 118931

Seventh Photo

-If you are using photo etch, this is a must have tool, used this all the time on my models. There are other tools on the market, but this is my personal favourite.

View attachment 118932

Finally a word of caution, if you are intending to enhance your model with photo etch, you need to get it before you start modelling, as it is nigh impossible to add on later.

Hope this is of some help. Derek

T1.jpg

T2.jpg

T3.jpg

T4.jpg

T5.jpg

T6.jpg

T7.jpg

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Welcome to the asylum

Enjoy your stay

Lee :smiling3:

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Hello and welcome to the forum lance i can't say any more than whats been said so enjoy time here.

Peter t

D

dougie

\ said:
Lance, Here is what I use. Everyone has their own preferences which I respect, so treat this as guidance only, even the beginner probably has some tools that will work just as well.
First photo -

-Side cutter

-Set of needle files

-Pointed tweezers

-Craft knife: a curved blade is good for handling photo etch, the straight angled blade is a good all rounder.

-Last item is a fibre glass eraser, good for sanding awkward corners and cleaning up cement overspill.

-Fine grade wire wool is also handy for cleaning up seams etc. as is Halfords wet &dry paper 1500 grit

View attachment 130611

Second Photo

-Small craft knife

View attachment 130612

Third Photo

-Small long nosed pliers

-Miniature drill set

-Pin vice

View attachment 130613

Fourth Photo

Thin Glue such as Mr Hobby shown on the left, and Loctite GEL super glue, are the two essentials. Mr Hobby is thin, and uses capillary action to join pieces together, very thin minimum mess. The GEL is good for rigging and for holding very small pieces in position.

The Rocket glue is only needed if you plan to use photo etch (PE), very strong, but gives you enough time to position items accurately. Overspill is easily cleaned up with the fibre glass eraser mentioned above.

The ZAP thin CA glue, again is only needed for (PE) where you have seams, here the thin nature of the glue uses capillary action to join the seams.

View attachment 130614

Fifth Photo

-Blue Tack is a modellers favourite for holding things in position while gluing and painting, and picking up very small objects.

-Filler, you use a lot of this on model aircraft, but very little on ships, handy to have though.

View attachment 130615

Sixth Photo

-Bending tools; only needed if you are planning to use photo etch, a straight edge (a 6" steel ruler would do) and an old single sided razor blade are ideal. But you might want to think about a hold and bend tool if you want to get serious.

View attachment 130616

Seventh Photo

-If you are using photo etch, this is a must have tool, used this all the time on my models. There are other tools on the market, but this is my personal favourite.

View attachment 130617

Finally a word of caution, if you are intending to enhance your model with photo etch, you need to get it before you start modelling, as it is nigh impossible to add on later.

That's a proper reply...

L

Laurie

Do not fret Lance after a few days here you will soon forget you were once sane ;)

Laurie

L

Laurie

Forgot. Have a look in John's shop. Top of the page above.

You will find all ,near, that you will need. Just keep asking

at each stage you get to you will find all the answers.

Laurie

G

Graham D

Welcome Lance, I use Revell Contact adhesive, for photo etch I use thin and thick CA, the foam safe version as it does not have an odour. As for paints I use Life Color acrylics. If you are doing photo etch I advise lots of patience and a sound proof room so you can swear as the assembly you have been working on for the last hour, pings into the maw of the carpet monster. On a serious note, you will need a very good overhead light and plenty of magnification as some the PE bits can be quite small

Last edited:

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
\ said:
First photo -

-Side cutter

-Set of needle files

-Pointed tweezers

View attachment 130611

Second Photo

-Small craft knife

View attachment 130612

Third Photo

-Small long nosed pliers

-Miniature drill set

-Pin vice

View attachment 130613

Fourth Photo

View attachment 130614

Fifth Photo

View attachment 130615

Sixth Photo

View attachment 130616

Seventh Photo

View attachment 130617

That`s a lot of kit......I only use a hammer.......and a yard broom for painting with :D

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
Hi and welcome to the forum Lance. :D

First Name
Gregg
Welcome on board, I'm sure you will find plenty of help on here.

The best & friendliest modelling forum on the net!

Gregg