New to forum

L

Lance B

L

Lance B

\ said:
Welcome aboard looking forward to your build thread. Glue I mainly use tamiya thin and mr cement cheers John
Thank you very much for your lovely welcome and info on the glue, John. :smiling3:

L

Lance B

\ said:
Lance, Here is what I use. Everyone has their own preferences which I respect, so treat this as guidance only, even the beginner probably has some tools that will work just as well.
First photo -

-Side cutter

-Set of needle files

-Pointed tweezers

-Craft knife: a curved blade is good for handling photo etch, the straight angled blade is a good all rounder.

-Last item is a fibre glass eraser, good for sanding awkward corners and cleaning up cement overspill.

-Fine grade wire wool is also handy for cleaning up seams etc. as is Halfords wet &dry paper 1500 grit

View attachment 130611

Second Photo

-Tamiya Masking Tape 6mm and 10m wide

-Small craft knife

View attachment 130612

Third Photo

-Small long nosed pliers

-Miniature drill set

-Pin vice

View attachment 130613

Fourth Photo

Thin Glue such as Mr Hobby shown on the left, and Loctite GEL super glue, are the two essentials. Mr Hobby is thin, and uses capillary action to join pieces together, very thin minimum mess. The GEL is good for rigging and for holding very small pieces in position.

The Rocket glue is only needed if you plan to use photo etch (PE), very strong, but gives you enough time to position items accurately. Overspill is easily cleaned up with the fibre glass eraser mentioned above.

The ZAP thin CA glue, again is only needed for (PE) where you have seams, here the thin nature of the glue uses capillary action to join the seams.

View attachment 130614

Fifth Photo

-Blue Tack is a modellers favourite for holding things in position while gluing and painting, and picking up very small objects.

-Filler, you use a lot of this on model aircraft, but very little on ships, handy to have though.

View attachment 130615

Sixth Photo

-Bending tools; only needed if you are planning to use photo etch, a straight edge (a 6" steel ruler would do) and an old single sided razor blade are ideal. But you might want to think about a hold and bend tool if you want to get serious.

View attachment 130616

Seventh Photo

-If you are using photo etch, this is a must have tool, used this all the time on my models. There are other tools on the market, but this is my personal favourite.

View attachment 130617

Finally a word of caution, if you are intending to enhance your model with photo etch, you need to get it before you start modelling, as it is nigh impossible to add on later.

Hope this is of some help. Derek
Wow, that's fantastic information, Derek!! I really appreciate the huge effort you have gone into to helping me out. Very, very much appreciated! :smiling3:

L

Lance B

\ said:
Welcome to the asylum
Enjoy your stay

Lee :smiling3:
An asylum you say? Looks like I'll fit in well then. LOL. Thank you for welcoming me to the "nightmare", Lee. :smiling3:

L

Lance B

\ said:
Hello and welcome to the forum lance i can't say any more than whats been said so enjoy time here.
Peter t
Thank you very much for your warm welcome, Peter! :smiling3:

L

Lance B

\ said:
Forgot. Have a look in John's shop. Top of the page above.
You will find all ,near, that you will need. Just keep asking

at each stage you get to you will find all the answers.

Laurie
Thanks Laurie. I shall definitely be asking questions. :smiling3:

L

Lance B

\ said:
Welcome Lance, I use Revell Contact adhesive, for photo etch I use thin and thick CA, the foam safe version as it does not have an odour. As for paints I use Life Color acrylics. If you are doing photo etch I advise lots of patience and a sound proof room so you can swear as the assembly you have been working on for the last hour, pings into the maw of the carpet monster. On a serious note, you will need a very good overhead light and plenty of magnification as some the PE bits can be quite small
Thank you very much for your warm welcome and all the good info, Graham. Much appreciated! :smiling3:

L

Lance B

\ said:
Welcome on board, I'm sure you will find plenty of help on here.
The best & friendliest modelling forum on the net!

Gregg
Thank you very much for your warm welcome, Gregg! Judging by the many kind welcomes and information offered, I have to agree that you're right! :smiling3: