Newbie dumb paint choice question

First Name
Stu
Hi again all, and many thanks for all the support and good advice ref my recent "newbie" post.

I have been eyeing up the Tamiya Tiger 1/35 kit on Amazon which includes a list of the various paints that are needed. The last 2 specify eg "spray (TS3)", however I do not intend on splashing out on a spray gun (yet), so was just wondering if it is OK to just buy these colours anyway and use a brush to apply them, or do I need to select an "equivalent" brush paint of the same/similar colour?

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi again all, and many thanks for all the support and good advice ref my recent "newbie" post.

I have been eyeing up the Tamiya Tiger 1/35 kit on Amazon which includes a list of the various paints that are needed. The last 2 specify eg "spray (TS3)", however I do not intend on splashing out on a spray gun (yet), so was just wondering if it is OK to just buy these colours anyway and use a brush to apply them, or do I need to select an "equivalent" brush paint of the same/similar colour?
No such thing as a "Dumb" question Stu!
The TS3 Spay they mention isn`t an airbrushing ,pot based Acrylic...... in actual fact it`s a "Rattle Can" paint,applied just like the various vehicle tins that you can buy.
I use these TS types quite often,and they do give a nice,smooth finish,AND,as you say........ keeps the cost of buying an airbrush set up at bay!!
HTHs,
Andy

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Tamiya TS numbers refer to their spray cans. I think TS3 refers to their version of Dunkelgelb - dark yellow. If you want to pass away a month or so, type Dunkelgelb into any modelling forum and you'll get about 47 zillion versions of what the actual colour is!

Edit: Me too!

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
The Tamiya TS colour are aerosols, so if you used them you wouldn't need a spray gun / airbrush.

There will probably be an equivalent in their regular acrylic range more suitable for brushing

EDIT: Too slow! :smiling5:
Andy......
That`s usually me mate!!:tears-of-joy:
Andy

First Name
Stu
Hi all both and many thanks for the prompt replies, not sure I want to commit to rattle can spraying at the mo, so I will see if I can find an equivalent brush colour...(I guess it depends on the actual area they are expecting you to spray..)

First Name
Stu
...just another question, I was advised in my previous thread to get Vallego acrylic pains in preference to Tamiya, do I therefore need to find their equivalent paint colours or do they (hopefully!) use a similar paint numbering system....nb I will be googling this for myself, just wondering if there was a quicker way to "match" colours from different manufacturers....

..many thanks

First Name
Stu
..thanks for the link, found the site but doesn't seem to have Vellego listed?....I think I might go with the "set" mentioned above...

..again many thanks for the input

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Stu, as you are brush painting and intend leaving the 'Brush Club' at some point, I would go for Vallejo Model Air acrylics, as this type of paint is great for brush application.
...and you will have some left over ready for your A.B.

Here's the 'Air' colours I use. Dunkelgelb 71-025/ Green 71-096/ Brown 71-041.

Don't beat yourself up over the 'Correct' shades There are too many variants which would have affected them. How the paint was applied? Was the paint thinned by the crew 'painter'? General weather, sun bleaching, mud, boots, the list goes on and on and.....Even down to different shades from different production factories!

In other words, in my view there is NO absolutely 100% correct shade and colour. There just can't be. - Can there?

Try and avoid Tamiya acrylic paints for brush work.

Ron

Last edited:
First Name
Stu
Hi all, and thanks for all the great advise, everything now ordered care of Amazon....kit, glue, brushes and paint....fingers crossed....what could possibly go wrong!!

(..just need somebody to build it for me now...)

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Here's the 'Air' colours I use. Dunkelgelb 71-025/ Green 71-096/ Brown 71-041.

Don't beat yourself up over the 'Correct' shades There are too many variants which would have affected them. How the paint was applied? Was the paint thinned by the crew 'painter'? General weather, sun bleaching, mud, boots, the list goes on and on and.....Even down to different shades from different production factories!

In other words, in my view there is NO absolutely 100% correct shade and colour. There just can't be. - Can there?

Try and avoid Tamiya acrylic paints for brush work.

Ron

thats the good thing about doing mid to late german armour........as long as you start with the 3 basic colours you cant go wrong.....so many variations of shade............and theres so many camo patterns its difficult to make a hash of that

couldnt agree more about tamiya paint.......terrible stuff imho..................vallejo or revell aquas for brush painting (and air brushing too)

D

Deleted member 7181

Hi all, and thanks for all the great advise, everything now ordered care of Amazon....kit, glue, brushes and paint....fingers crossed....what could possibly go wrong!!

Sorry to pry Stu, but any particular reason for using Amazon?

The shop connected to this forum has very competitive prices and you get the bonus of a discount by being a forum supporter.

None of my business, I just wondered.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Can only second what Andy (aka paintguy) said.

I normally only go elsewhere if I can't find it on here or I've stumbled across a real bargain. John's service is second to none and, as Andy said, you get the 5% discount as a supporter. Plus John offers a rewards point system so you get money off your next purchase too.

ATB.

Andrew