Oh dear it's a 1/72 Bristol Beveldere

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, so far so good. Noticed on the centerline there is a tiny gap that needs filling. Also notice the centerline isn't really centered as the two parts of the canopy doesn't really join at the center. One side of the canopy seems broader than the other.
20231010_192820.jpg
Cheers,
Wabble

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi, so far so good. Noticed on the centerline there is a tiny gap that needs filling. Also notice the centerline isn't really centered as the two parts of the canopy doesn't really join at the center. One side of the canopy seems broader than the other.
View attachment 492655
Cheers,
Wabble
Wabble once the centre line is sorted the canopy will look OK as there will be no centre reference.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Wabble once the centre line is sorted the canopy will look OK as there will be no centre reference.
Thanks Scottie, logically that should happen and hope I don't botch it up.

The paint showed up some uneven application of the putty at the canopy joints to the fuselage so some sanding took care of it.
20231010_225010.jpgNow for some grey primer...

Cheers,
Wabble

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
We'll this kit has certainly put up a fight Richard but it looks to me like you are very much winning!
And what a fight Andy...nearly at every corner or step of assembly but loving it. Am so anxious for it to be completed and see if I have achieved anything.
I’m not surprised, given the age of it :smiling3: The thread is a good showcase for how far modelling has come since then.
Yup Jakko...old it is just like me. How we enjoyed our modelling back then and took these kits as state of the art in those days. No references to compare them against and nothing new to add on except stuff we could get our hands on around the house without MWMBO knowing.

Cheers,
Wabble

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Guys,
Today I added the fuel probe like antennae using a stiff wire and putty for the knob at the end.
20231013_224854.jpg
Then fitted a little vent to the forward engine sponson side.
20231013_224834.jpg
I had tthought the navigation light was centrally positioned but on checking reference showing it to the right side. I filed a thick plastic rod into an oval and sliced a length and beveled one end to fit the contours of the fuselage. The I rounded one end of a thinner rod, sliced the piece off and stuck to the top.
20231013_224802.jpg20231013_224815.jpg
I will need to sand down the round fixture as it ought to be flatter.
Thats all for now...off to bed.

Cheers,
Wabble

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Cracking work Richard, really liking the work you’re putting into this.
Thanks Ian.
It's so annoying to find glaring differences between the prototype and service Belvederes. References show images of service types having rudders but in a fixed position facing starboard. I don't know if it was to counter torque or as a large trim tab. Does anybody have any idea why it is so? Anyway I just eyeballed the measurements and traced it onto the kit tail. Plastic strip and putty took care of the gaps.
20231014_235108.jpg20231014_235119.jpg
The air scoop much clearer now...
20231014_235454.jpg
Couldn't fit the Long House onto the back paper to show the priming.
20231014_235150.jpg20231014_235059.jpg

Cheers,
Wabble

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Richard, that offset rudder is a bit of a quandary! I could offer a couple of theories but I doubt they would be the reason.
Wouldn't imagine it would be torque related as the rotors rotate in opposite directions cancelling any torque effects!!
Probably more aerodynamic!!!
Maybe Rick (@rickoshea52 ) has a clue what may be the reason.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Richard, that offset rudder is a bit of a quandary! I could offer a couple of theories but I doubt they would be the reason.
Wouldn't imagine it would be torque related as the rotors rotate in opposite directions cancelling any torque effects!!
No firm idea tbh. The only thing I can think of is torque reaction or the transition from forward flight to hover and back. The Belvedere was a very early helicopter so the flights controls very rudimentary, the stub wings and finlets suggest it might have needed additional features for stability.
If you’re desperate to know I’d suggest asking the Helicopter Museum in Weston - super - nightmare for help.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Looking superb matey
Thanks Paul, so far so good.
Wabble,
You have come on in leaps and bounds, really looking forward to the paintwork now.
Wibble.
Still some fiddly bits to go like the dinghy sponsons Michael before the paints come on.
All the hard work is paying off. A truly impressive improvement.
Thank you Jim, from a distance it does, not the close ups I'm afraid.
Loving it! Superb work there mate!
Steve
Glad you're loving it Steve and thanks.
This really is the essence of 'old school' modelling - massive upgrades of an OLD kit
Then you put it on display and someone will go 'I didn't know there was a new kit of that.'
Thank goodness I haven't lost the touch and still do the old school stuff Chris. If somebody does a new kit I'll be annoyed but the weird subject won't call for it.
Doug, do you remember the video you shared, well, early prototype didn't have the rudder. the later version with the undercarriage fairings did and only actuated during landing and take off...all pointing starboard. Now was it fixed or abled to be manipulated?
This is getting better and better, Richard. When you are finished it will probably fly !
John.
:tears-of-joy: John, if it does I'd be surprised.
No firm idea tbh. The only thing I can think of is torque reaction or the transition from forward flight to hover and back. The Belvedere was a very early helicopter so the flights controls very rudimentary, the stub wings and finlets suggest it might have needed additional features for stability.
If you’re desperate to know I’d suggest asking the Helicopter Museum in Weston - super - nightmare for help.
Hi Rick, no worries mate, it's more apparent when the vertical stabilisers on the wing tips were modified to slope down. Anyway my rudder isn't a working feature so I'll leave it at that angle on the ground.

Thanks all round for the inputs and comments.

Cheers,
Wabble

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, haven't done much 'cos am doing kitchen renovations so all the cabinet stuff are in my cave/store room and I can't get to my airbrush. Decided to fabricate the dinghy and sponson from an existing door part and plastic tubing.
Shaped the door part into the sponsons and cut out the tubing for the dinghy canister.
20231020_015116.jpg
I will make a mold and recast the sponsons with putty and round the ends of the canister. Pics later after the process is done.

Cheers,
Wabble

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Wabble this is very good modelerling on this belverde as ive lived nr
RAF COLTISHALL all my life an ive never seen one so keep up the good work an comin
chrisb