Oh dear it's a 1/72 Bristol Beveldere

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Just caught up again Richard, some cracking work, really liking the paint job.
Thanks Ian.

I'm currently working on the base tarmac using a mirror. Getting anything to stick on a mirrored surface is tough. I've used a spraymount and grouting to create the tarmac surface. Before applying that I have placed some masking tape to represent water puddles in strategic places so the underside of the heli can be seen. I've coated with acrylic primer after sanding and used a roller to press down to get the concrete effect and thin the material so the puddles don't look deep. Hope this turns out okay. This is my first experiment.

20231122_125319.jpg
The top right corner will have a bit of raised turf. More pictures to come as I progress.

Cheers,
Wabble

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Almost there Richard. It still shows up little issues to keep you on your toes. I like the idea for the base. I hope it works out OK.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I'm currently working on the base tarmac using a mirror.
Is there any particular reason for that? Because it sounds like it would be making life unnecessarily difficult for yourself unless you want to keep part of the mirror exposed.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Love that idea Richard, can't wait to see how it turns out
Thanks Neil...I hope it does.
Almost there Richard. It still shows up little issues to keep you on your toes. I like the idea for the base. I hope it works out OK.
Ya, life always throws a curve ball now and then.
Looking excellent Richard. Superb updates followed by a great paint job. Nice one :thumb2:
Thanks Tim.
Is there any particular reason for that? Because it sounds like it would be making life unnecessarily difficult for yourself unless you want to keep part of the mirror exposed.
Surprised you don't see the masking for the puddles. Not a new concept and have seen it done by Japanese modelers using reflective tape to create puddles. Basically its to help judges see the underside of your display through the reflection without them picking up the model.

Cheers,
Wabble

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Great work Richard!!! The mirror idea is also used a lot here at shows too. With all the hard work you've put into that whirrly thing, you don't need anyone busting stuff off when picking it up to look at the bottom details. Of course, you are excluded from that, as it's your puppy...

Prost
Allen

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Love the mirror idea!
I like it too Andy, just keeping my finger crossed that it doesn't turn out unreal and funny.
Great work Richard!!! The mirror idea is also used a lot here at shows too. With all the hard work you've put into that whirrly thing, you don't need anyone busting stuff off when picking it up to look at the bottom details. Of course, you are excluded from that, as it's your puppy...

Prost
Allen
Thanks Allen, yup some with full blown mirror bases. Some go to lengths of screen printing emblems and titles on the mirrors.
The mirror/puddle idea is really ingenious. :thumb2:
The idea is not original but it's my first time trying Andy.
I’m definitely looking forward to seeing how the base turns out, a great idea.
Me too, me too Ian. I get all sweaty palms working on it.

Letting it cure overnight before painting and adding grass and concrete cracks. I will raise it on a 3 inch platform.

Cheers,
Wabble

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Okay, got the base height using recycled compressed foam board as you can see an old architectural perspective on the front. The sides will be coated in black.
20231123_124116.jpg
It will rest on a wooden plywood base lined with timber beading also in black similar to the bases for the two frigates I made earlier.

Cheers,
Wabble

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Guys,
I cut out the masking for the heli pad H and ring out of card paper. Will lightly spray spray mount on the underside to get a bit of tac to the surface.
20231124_233128.jpg
Now all I need is somebody to say that this kind of marking only came out in the 70's. :smiling6: ...hopefully before I paint the tarmac.

Cheers,
Wabble

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Hi Guys,
I cut out the masking for the heli pad H and ring out of card paper. Will lightly spray spray mount on the underside to get a bit of tac to the surface.
View attachment 495973
Now all I need is somebody to say that this kind of marking only came out in the 70's. :smiling6: ...hopefully before I paint the tarmac.

Cheers,
Wabble
Definitely pre 70's!
A 'H' on it's own indicates land a helicopter anywhere on the site. A 'H' with a white circle around it indicates for pilots to land in the area of the circled H!!
Hope that makes sense!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Definitely pre 70's!
A 'H' on it's own indicates land a helicopter anywhere on the site. A 'H' with a white circle around it indicates for pilots to land in the area of the circled H!!
Hope that makes sense!
Thanks for that Doug, I was wondering what equipment was on the tarmac when the Belvedere was on the ground or being readied for start up. I need to have something with a long hose to hide a crack in the mirror. Don't know how that happened.
Wabble,
Great idea mate.
Thanks Scottie, lots of niggles along the way...very experimental for me.

Cheers,
Wabble

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Thanks for that Doug, I was wondering what equipment was on the tarmac when the Belvedere was on the ground or being readied for start up. I need to have something with a long hose to hide a crack in the mirror. Don't know how that happened.

Thanks Scottie, lots of niggles along the way...very experimental for me.

Cheers,
Wabble
You could try a large electric trailer!! Or a fuel tanker with a very long fuel hose to hide your crack.
I’ll try and find a pic later when guests have gone!!

Last edited:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
You could try a large electric trailer!! Or a fuel tanker with a very long fuel hose to hide your track.
Appreciate it. Anything smaller and on a portable trolley as the space on the tarmac is limited. Piccies would be great.

Cheers,
Wabble

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
You could try a large electric trailer!! Or a fuel tanker with a very long fuel hose to hide your track.
Appreciate it. Anything smaller and on a portable trolley as the space on the tarmac is limited. Piccies would be great

Cheers,
Wabble