Panzer & Stug Internal Colours?

AlexBB

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
@Bobthestug & @Tim Marlow Thanks guys for your input & help. I get concerned about trying to be as accurate as I can but these German colours seem to be a 'Minenfeld' !!

I have never done any German armour before, well nothing serious in recent years anyway.

I no longer post images of my work online nor take stuff to shows so in reality I could paint it pink if I wanted to but to me it is all a learning exercise and learning about what I am modelling is all part of the enjoyment for me. I have found the German colours to be a little contradictory especially in respect to the inside colours of the vehicles.

The Lifecolor set CS22 in particular has confused me as it contains the Light Blue mentioned above and states this is for 'Mechanical Gears" which has thrown me a bit of a curve ball as I have not seen that referenced anywhere else!!

586fd8fc9f66667c70a24419237a264f922c4263.jpg

da2a479628c409ea6daeafc394dd50539be9d970.jpg

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
What the hell is a floor combat camera lol! No idea about light blues gears as well.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Light blue is not an uncommon colour for gearboxes in general. I suspect the “floor combat camera” is a very poor automatic translation from the Spanish ITALIAN. If I had to guess, they mean fighting compartment floor — the word “camera” has the same root/origin as “chamber”,* and though I don’t know the Spanish word for “room/chamber” it could well be that there was some confusion there because the Italian word for “room” is camera as well.

Edit: Somehow it hadn’t clicked in my mind that this set is from LifeColor, which is Italian. It all makes much more sense now …

* Camera in Latin means “space inside a building”, chamber is from French chambre which derives from the Latin camera. English camera for a photographic device is straight from the Latin, by shortening camera obscura, “dark room” because the first photographic cameras were darkened rooms.

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Light blue is not an uncommon colour for gearboxes in general. I suspect the “floor combat camera” is a very poor automatic translation from the Spanish. If I had to guess, they mean fighting compartment floor — the word “camera” has the same root/origin as “chamber”,* and though I don’t know the Spanish word for “room/chamber” it could well be that there was some confusion there.

* Camera in Latin means “space inside a building”, chamber is from French chambre which derives from the Latin camera. English camera for a photographic device is straight from the latin, by shortening camera obscura, “dark room” because the first photographic cameras were darkened rooms.
I seem to remember doing a floor in light blue on a half track build a few years ago…..trouble is, I had primed in red oxide and it came out a lovely shade of lavender……

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Light blue is not an uncommon colour for gearboxes in general. I suspect the “floor combat camera” is a very poor automatic translation from the Spanish ITALIAN. If I had to guess, they mean fighting compartment floor — the word “camera” has the same root/origin as “chamber”,* and though I don’t know the Spanish word for “room/chamber” it could well be that there was some confusion there because the Italian word for “room” is camera as well.

Edit: Somehow it hadn’t clicked in my mind that this set is from LifeColor, which is Italian. It all makes much more sense now …

* Camera in Latin means “space inside a building”, chamber is from French chambre which derives from the Latin camera. English camera for a photographic device is straight from the Latin, by shortening camera obscura, “dark room” because the first photographic cameras were darkened rooms.
I can confirm: "camera" is the Italian word for "room" while "macchina fotografica" (a device for static pictures) or "cinepresa" (device for motion pictures) is the correct translation for "camera".
To be more detailed, in Italian that part of a tank is more frequently called "vano" and not "camera", the latter being mainly used talking about houses.

Andrea

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
Just read this thread with interest. Some observations.
1. As already stated paint batches would have varied, so no exact match is likely. Any cream, ivory or off white is close enough. You could even use some rascally Russian off white (but don't tell anyone!)
2. It's impressive both the passion for authenticity, detail and research we modellers undertake to be accurate, and the supportive and helpful collaboration on the forum here.
Bravo gentlemen.

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
Watching a couple of videos on this. The first is night shift who mixes a kind of pale Russian green, then over sprays with an off white, here:
This seems to be borne out by the second which is an interior Panzer IV video at the AAF tank museum. The tank is an "H" but modified from an earlier version, and the interior colour looks original. The link is here:
Hope it helps.