Pete's 1/32 Mosquito

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Well, for better or worse, it's done. Not an enjoyable build at all. I nearly binned it a few times. Broke the antenna off twice, the pitot several times, and the undercarriage doors even more! I haven't bothered replacing the pitot as I'm fed up with this thing.
Still, I suppose it does look a bit like a Mossie, from a distance, if you squint a bit, in the dark.
P1170397.JPGP1170398.JPGP1170399.JPGP1170400.JPGP1170401.JPGP1170402.JPGP1170403.JPGP1170404.JPGP1170405.JPGP1170406.JPGP1170407.JPGP1170408.JPGP1170409.JPGP1170410.JPG
Most of the decals went on well, but the "Keep Off" decals above the radiators just wouldn't settle over the rows of rivets (being a wooden 'plane, perhaps they're round head woodscrews?). Looked OK until I put a varnish coat on.
This aircraft did have a 'notch' in the rear white strip to clear the serial numbers. The narrow stripes are just a mistake - I masked for 18 inch stripes instead of 24 inch, which apparently was correct for some Mossies so I didn't bother to correct them.
The black stripes, and the clear coats, were sprayed with my bargain Iwata Revolution airbrush, which I really like using.

One thing I've learned from this build is that my modelling space is just not big enough to build at this scale, so I've put a couple of large scale kits from my stash on ebay - an Airfix 1/24 Spitfire, and a Revell AC47D gunship in 1/48. I've got another 1/48 twin engine plane somewhere, that will also go on the bay.

Now, what next? I need something smaller and more likely to have parts that fit. Maybe a recent Airfix in 1/72...
Pete

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
I looks good to me Pete. We'll done.

I've been building a few of the newer Aitfix 1/72 aircraft kits and they do go together well.

My Mossie build was one of those. I did struggle in places but I'm new to all of this anyway. Comments I read from more experienced modellers is that the newer Airfix kits qre very well designed and engineered.

Mike

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Well Pete it may have been a challenge and came close to being binned but the end result was worth it. You have certainly made a very presentable model out of such an problematic kit.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks great pete despite the traumas . I can recommend the new airfix 1/72 stuff , the hurricane mk1a is a beauty .

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Looks one excellent build Pete.

As Tony writes the new Airfix 1/72 Hurricane Mk1a is a beauty, as is the Spitfire. And they are sometimes called 'Starter Kits', if you please!

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Looks great pete despite the traumas . I can recommend the new airfix 1/72 stuff , the hurricane mk1a is a beauty .

Looks one excellent build Pete.

As Tony writes the new Airfix 1/72 Hurricane Mk1a is a beauty, as is the Spitfire. And they are sometimes called 'Starter Kits', if you please!

Thanks Tony and Ron.
This one?
P1170411.JPG
Either that or one of these:P1170412.JPG
Pete

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
It looks like a Mossie to me Pete and a mighty fine one too!!! All the trials and tribulations were overcome with your skills, and it didn't end up as landfill. I really do like the invasion stripes Sir. A top job and a great finish!!!

BTW, have you cleaned the parts and crap out of the spray booth yet??? Inquiring minds do want to know........

Prost
Allen

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks good to me…..paint job looks excellent. Oh, and it’s not just your “keep off” decal that won’t conform. The Tamiya one on mine has had about seven applications of decal juice, and I still think it will show under varnish…..it’s not getting any more though!

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
BTW, have you cleaned the parts and crap out of the spray booth yet??? Inquiring minds do want to know........
Yes, I did think that might be why I get so much dust in the paint! It's had a good clean out and a new set of filter. Quite amazing how much came out of the old filter.
Pete

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
The Beaufighter kit looks really nice Pete and should fit in the booth with no problems. 1/72 is way too small for my old ass eyes, so when/if you should build it, I'll keep the optivisor on my head to watch your progress!!!......Or.........Maybe you might want to join the 1/2 track build as a change of pace....................

Prost and no pressure
Allen

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
I think you're selling yourself short Peter, she looks fine to me.
Garry

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
ANOTHER one that I missed crossing the finish line!!
I'm another who thinks that's looking excellent Pete ;)
Very nice indeed....I especially like the amount you can see through the canopy.... lovely stuff :smiling3:
Andy