Pete's 1/32 Revell Mosquito

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
July already? Better get on with this then: P1170130.JPGP1170217.JPGP1170218.JPG
I hope nobody wants to see all the sprues?
First thought : it's big! Nice of Revell to use a top-opening box for a change.
I bought some Montex canopy masks, and I'll be using an AK paint set that I've had for a while.
P1170219.JPG
I suppose I need to start with the cockpit, which means I have to decide whether to include the pilots or not. Figure painting is definitely not my forte, but I think I'll give them a try. There are two identical figures - why do kit manufacturers do this? Each figure is in two parts:
P1170221.JPG
I looks as if the navigator has an elasticated seat belt:
P1170222.JPG
After the last two kits which have been modern Airfix I'd almost forgotten what flash is - thanks for the reminder Revell!
P1170220.JPG
Not too bad I suppose, but disappointing for a 2014 kit.
More later, off to spray a matt coat on my Gladiator.
Pete

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
I think this is the only 1/32 scale being built in the GB so will be interesting to compare with the smaller scales. As you say a bit of clean up needed
Jim

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Nice start Pete!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Detail isn't the best. My Airfix kit is better and that's 1/72. I am sure you'll find ways to improve it.
Jim

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Just remember some of those discs on the cockpit walls are supposed to be there, but by no means all of them….check references……
Yes, apparently they bonded circular electrical switch pattresses to the plywood body so there was something to take woodscrews.
Shown well here at the USAF Museum: https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/V...y/Article/196281/de-havilland-dh-98-mosquito/

Couldn't find anything suitable in the box of leftovers so I suppose I'll have to scratch something. :disappointed2:

Pete

Reactions: JR

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Just checking Scalemates and it looks like this is a rebox of a kit first released in 1971, which explains a lot!
Pete

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
It does look like a 50 year old kit I'm afraid. Having said that you have the skills to make a silk purse from it.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hi Pete,

I'm in and you're right. My pit walls have better details than yours does, but you have pilots and I don't...You have masks and I can't find some anywhere yet. Still looking though...Can't wait to see how you whip this puppy into a winner!!!....

Prost
Allen

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
It does look like a 50 year old kit I'm afraid. Having said that you have the skills to make a silk purse from it.
Not so sure about that Jim, but I'll have a go. Just stripping the paint off so I can fill that great hole at the front of the wing fixing.
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I might regret this later:
P1170243.JPGP1170244.JPG
I was going to use a two-pack filler because of the thickness needed, but my Milliput has gone rock-hard and the hardener for my car body filler has leaked out of the tube. So, I'm using Humbrol putty, which i'll have to build up in thin layers.
Pete

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Yes, apparently they bonded circular electrical switch pattresses to the plywood body so there was something to take woodscrews.
Shown well here at the USAF Museum: https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/V...y/Article/196281/de-havilland-dh-98-mosquito/

Couldn't find anything suitable in the box of leftovers so I suppose I'll have to scratch something. :disappointed2:

Pete
Hi Pete, just looked at the US site you mentioned, loved the 360 photo of the office, jammed packed with instruments ,how on earth they found time to look at that and fly the plane !

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Pete
Brave step to take. Should be ok, sand back between layers and build up gradually.
Jim

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
A slight setback - I'd sprayed the interior with Hataka red line interior grey-green, which is a good colour match, but two days later it still doesn't seem to have cured, and comes off very easily if touched with a thumbnail. I think I'll have to strip those parts as well and repaint with Tamiya XF71.
It's strange though, I've used that paint a few times and not had this problem. I'm certain there was nothing left in the airbrush that could have contaminated the paint, and the parts had been washed. Does Hataka paint go off with age? I've had it for 4 or 5 years, but I've used much older acrylics than that without any problems.
Pete

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Sorry Pete, never used it so can't help but does sound very odd.... Have you got a spare test piece you can try it on?

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
A slight setback - I'd sprayed the interior with Hataka red line interior grey-green, which is a good colour match, but two days later it still doesn't seem to have cured, and comes off very easily if touched with a thumbnail. I think I'll have to strip those parts as well and repaint with Tamiya XF71.
It's strange though, I've used that paint a few times and not had this problem. I'm certain there was nothing left in the airbrush that could have contaminated the paint, and the parts had been washed. Does Hataka paint go off with age? I've had it for 4 or 5 years, but I've used much older acrylics than that without any problems.
Pete
What did you thin it with pete? And did you prime the plastic ?

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Sorry about the setback. You seem to have covered all possible causes.
I've used that paint a few times and not had this problem. I'm certain there was nothing left in the airbrush that could have contaminated the paint, and the parts had been washed
I have also used far older acrylics.
It's annoying and frustrating but I'm sure you'll sort it with a Tamiya repaint.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
What did you thin it with pete? And did you prime the plastic ?
I didn't thin it at all Tony, and I didn't prime. I thought I'd shaken it enough, but perhaps not - that's the only thing I can think of. Unless I should have thinned it and sprayed more coats. I have a bottle of their thinner.
Sorry about the setback. You seem to have covered all possible causes.

I have also used far older acrylics.
It's annoying and frustrating but I'm sure you'll sort it with a Tamiya repaint.
Yes, I'm sure Tamiya will be OK. Not really worth continuing with the Hataka, although I prefer the colour.
Pete