Pete's Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero 'Zeke'. Airfix, 1/72

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Picked this up at the Hinckley show, after a bit of persuasion from Tony and Dave. The main reason I bought it though is that it was only a fiver. Slightly crushed box, but it's all there.
P1170706.JPGP1170707.JPGP1170708.JPGP1170709.JPGP1170710.JPG
There are no colour callouts in the instructions, only on the back of the box, although some other colours are mentioned in the instructions. I'm not convinced by the suggested Bronze Green for the upper surfaces, as the box back shows a blueish green. What does the collective think?
Pete

Last edited by a moderator:

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Picked this up at the Hinckley show, after a bit of persuasion from Tony and Dave. The main reason I bought it though is that it was only a fiver. Slightly crushed box, but it's all there.
View attachment 485224View attachment 485225View attachment 485226View attachment 485227View attachment 485228
There are no colour callouts in the instructions, only on the back of the box, although some other colours are mentioned in the instructions. I'm not convinced by the suggested Bronze Green for the upper surfaces, as the box back shows a blueish green. What does the collective think?
Pete
These Airfix offerings are very popular and appear to be nicely made...and for just a fiver? That's a great bargain :cool:
As for the colours,I can have a look in my book for some schemes if you'd like?

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Ok Pete, so I suppose they twisted your arms until it hurt and forced you give up 5 quid for the kit!!! A likely story Sir!!! Nobody builds a box and it looks to be nicely molded too. Should take you at least 5 days to finish this one...Hairy or AB???...

Prost
Allen

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
These Airfix offerings are very popular and appear to be nicely made...and for just a fiver? That's a great bargain :cool:
As for the colours,I can have a look in my book for some schemes if you'd like?
Thanks for the offer Andy. I'm going to do the box art scheme, but if you can offer any help with the actual colours that would be useful.

Ok Pete, so I suppose they twisted your arms until it hurt and forced you give up 5 quid for the kit!!! A likely story Sir!!! Nobody builds a box and it looks to be nicely molded too. Should take you at least 5 days to finish this one...Hairy or AB???...

Prost
Allen
No, they just nagged me until I bought something! A/B for this one, my hairy stick attempts on the Hurricane didn't work out too well. I might use the paint from a couple of starter kit snot pots though. Moulding is generally nice, but see below.

As above, moulding is generally very good, typical newish Airfix, but there's some isalignment at the end of one sprue, just where the thin bits are!
P1170711.JPG
The control column, part 2 in the photo above, is broken just above that moulding blob, which puts paid to any chance of cleaning it up; after it's glued back together it'll be really fragile. I'll do what I can though.
The pilot is decently moulded, but doesn't fit the cockpit.
P1170712.JPGP1170713.JPG
I managed to spread his legs so his feet are the same distance apart as the rudder pedals, but his legs are too long and too straight, so his feet are past the pedals and his bum is hovering above the seat. Needs to be bent at the waist more, but his arms are in the way of that so I'll just leave him out.
Pete

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Looks good Pete and a bargain too :thumb2:

Might be worth dropping Airfix customer services a quick email. They may be able to send you a replacement part.
The canopy of a Phantom I’m building was cracked so I let them know and they sent me a replacement free of charge which I was very pleased with.

Geoff.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Nice selection Pete. Seated and watching

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Might be worth dropping Airfix customer services a quick email. They may be able to send you a replacement part.
For the control column Doug? It's glued now, and the mould misalignment won't be visible in the depths of the cockpit. If it breaks again I'll cut it off at the base, drill the 'boot' and use a piece of copper wire to replace it.
Pete

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I'm not convinced by the suggested Bronze Green for the upper surfaces, as the box back shows a blueish green. What does the collective think?
There is a difference between Nakajima and Mitsubishi greens. Bronze Green (Humbrol 75) is pretty close to the colour used by Mitsubishi, which is appropriate for your model. You can tell that it is a Mitsubishi built airframe because the green demarcation runs from the wing trailing edge to the tail cone, and it has solid Hinomaru.

Nakajima built examples had a green demarcation from the wing trailing edge sloping upwards towards the leading edge of the horizontal stabiliser. Nakajima painted A6M2's featured the white-ringed Hinomaru.

There are also differences with the coatings applied in the wheel wells, Mitsubishi A6M2's were painted the same colour as the lower scheme, whereas Nakajima used the (popular with modellers) Aotake coatings.

I learned too much researching my Zero :nerd:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looks like we should have held a Zero GB lol-
Nice start Pete.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great start pete , whatever made you think of getting one of these ? Looks a great kit though ,nearly got one of these myself at a show the other month!

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I've joined the fuselage halves, which needed a bit of work on the seams. Since then I've been struggling with making the canopy - it just isn't going well. Scrapped the first 2 attempts using Tamiya tape and trying again with BMF. I was trying to mask the canopy before fitting it but I was finding it hard to hold steady, so I've fitted it to the fuselage for easier handling.
P1170729.JPG
I'll have another go when that's completely dried.
Pete

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I saw a tip online about holding the canopy over a phone torch to make it easier to see the ribs. It helped me out on my Ki-61 but I couldn't see anything for a while afterwards! :cool:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I can see the ribs OK Andy, especially since switching to BMF, but I'm having trouble following them with a scalpel blade due to the rounded corners of the glazing.
Pete.