Pete's Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero 'Zeke'. Airfix, 1/72

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Looking good. As I'm making the same model, I'm following your progress.

I discarded the pilot too. I thought I was going mad until I read your comment and a few others on the internet.

I'm with you on the canopy on this one. I was reluctant to purchase a pre-made mask so tried to mask it with Tamiya tape but cutting it was nightmare. I thus painted freehand (I brush paint anyway) and tidied it up with a cocktail stick. It's still a work in progress.

Mike

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I've joined the fuselage halves, which needed a bit of work on the seams. Since then I've been struggling with making the canopy - it just isn't going well. Scrapped the first 2 attempts using Tamiya tape and trying again with BMF. I was trying to mask the canopy before fitting it but I was finding it hard to hold steady, so I've fitted it to the fuselage for easier handling.
View attachment 486363
I'll have another go when that's completely dried.
Pete
Is that an "Axminster Power Tools" cutting mat I spy there?!!:thinking:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
It is Andy. Their Nuneaton branch was one of my favourite shops until they closed a week ago. :disappointed2:
Pete
HA, thought as much:cool:,
I'm surprised to hear that your branch has closed!! I often drop into the "Mother Branch" when I'm passing through Axminster itself,they sell,and make, quality stuff :thumb2:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
The first piece of machinery I bought was a belt and disc sander, from their old shop in the High St. A real rabbit warren of a shop - you could get lost in there. I did call in their 'new' shop about 10 years ago and felt a bit disappointed, they didn't have much on display. I think they might regret closing the Nuneaton store as it was their only showroom in quite a wide area - people aren't going to buy the more expensive items without seeing them up close. My nearest Axminster store is now High Wycombe, about 75 miles rather than 25.
Pete

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
The first piece of machinery I bought was a belt and disc sander, from their old shop in the High St. A real rabbit warren of a shop - you could get lost in there. I did call in their 'new' shop about 10 years ago and felt a bit disappointed, they didn't have much on display. I think they might regret closing the Nuneaton store as it was their only showroom in quite a wide area - people aren't going to buy the more expensive items without seeing them up close. My nearest Axminster store is now High Wycombe, about 75 miles rather than 25.
Pete
Totally agree about the old shop in Axminster,it really was a "Rabbit warren", just like they'd tacked on an extra room here and there!!:tears-of-joy:,it did have a nice feel to the place mind.
The new one is a bit "cold",too clinical and has lost that "certain something" imho, still worth a visit now and again mind :tongue-out2:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Sorry about the lack of updates folks - I had a bad attack of the shaky hands, and for the last 10 days we've been trying to cope with a very poorly cat.
I've managed to finish masking the canopy:
P1170738.JPG
There are two holes in the rear of the canopy, one more or less circular which is for the aerial mast. and below that is a rectangular opening, almost like a rear gun position which of course it can't be. Does anyone know what it's for?
I've bunged the larger one with a bit of wooden toothpick and I'll do the same with the aerial hole.
One of the problems with building in short spurts, that can be hours or days apart, is forgetting where in the instructions you are; I missed the bit about cutting out the hole for the external fuel tank, so I had to cut the spigot off the tank and just glue the flat base onto the fuselage.
P1170739.JPG
Next job is to mix up some underside colour from the 'snot-pots' that come with starter kits, and get some sprayed on the underside and the landing gear. I hope to get round to that later, but I'm waiting for a phone call from the vet...
Pete

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Just had a read through and a ketchup......nice progress so far Pete. :thumb2:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely Pete.

Re Airfix pilot not fitting.....I chop their legs of around the top of the boots!

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Good idea Andy, I would go further and section out the excess material in each leg and then glue the boot portion back on at the correct length to contact the pedal. I know, it's micro surgery but it is doable. if 'is butt is still off the seat, just make a cut accross the back above the hip line (below the arms) and bend (ever so gently) to allow 'is arse to set in the seat! VIOLA! :tongue-out3: :tongue-out2: :tongue-out: :thumb2:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Coming on nicely Pete.

Re Airfix pilot not fitting.....I chop their legs of around the top of the boots!
Good idea Andy, I would go further and section out the excess material in each leg and then glue the boot portion back on at the correct length to contact the pedal. I know, it's micro surgery but it is doable. if 'is butt is still off the seat, just make a cut accross the back above the hip line (below the arms) and bend (ever so gently) to allow 'is arse to set in the seat! VIOLA! :tongue-out3: :tongue-out2: :tongue-out: :thumb2:
Even easier, just throw them in the spares box!
Pete

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looking good Pete.

Regarding the small rectangular gap in the rear canopy section behind the antenna hole. I believe this is related to the float version of the A6M, which featured a canvas floatation bag for use after ditching. The bag was vented to the atmosphere via this gap. All single-seat A6M's after the very early versions utilised the same canopy. Ease of manufacture etc I suppose.

It was a pain to mask when I built mine, I sealed it for painting by using a strip of tape firmly stuck to the inside of the canopy, pushing the middle of the tape through the hole to form a loop, which I pulled out at the end. I seem to find complex solutions! An easier method would be to paint the canopy separately with inner masking over the holes, or temporarily tacking it to the fuselage and removing the inner mask prior to final fitting.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
No fun in that Pete, here's where your modeling skills all come into the show. That bird won't fly itself so you gotta work with what they give you in the kit box Sir. ;)