Portable spray booths

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Dear all, the continuing cold spell and winter in general is really hampering my progress on modelling projects as I spray out in the garage. After several discussions with swmbo I’ve sort of convinced her that a spray booth indoors is a viable proposition. Can anyone help with recommendations please as I’ve seen some I definitely wouldn’t waste my money on. All help great fully received

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Depends on your budge I suppose Mick. I’ve used one of these for years, and have no complaints.
4567E74E-128B-4184-8FD4-59C3CD8954DA.jpeg
Not the best construction, but it controls overspray. The biggest thing it can handle is two engined aircraft at 1/48. It won’t eliminate lacquer thinners smell though. If that is what you want you would need to invest significantly more money than that, and probably sacrifice the portable aspect.

Reactions: JR

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Depends on your budge I suppose Mick. I’ve used one of these for years, and have no complaints.
View attachment 469529
Not the best construction, but it controls overspray. The biggest thing it can handle is two engined aircraft at 1/48. It won’t eliminate lacquer thinners smell though. If that is what you want you would need to invest significantly more money than that, and probably sacrifice the portable aspect.

What make and model is this Tim?

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
View attachment 469529
I use an activated carbon filter on the exhaust hose, does a pretty good job of dealing with the solvent smells.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Nice idea Karl. Usually the hose is dangled out of the window…..but at this time of year that’s a great improvement.
I don't have a window and don't really want to cut a hole in the shed wall, so this was my best option. Plus a carbon filtered mask and I don't smell my paints at all.
Only issue is the pest place to get them is hydroponics stores so people think I'm growing herb.........
Got the idea from seeing soldering station fume extractors in factories.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I have a booth like Tim suggests. I do vent it out of a window. It has given many years service. It's a bit flimsy but does the job. I do wear a mask for lacquers, belt and braces.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Mine is basically what Tim has but with led lighting, bought mine from bartsharp. They do a slightly larger one and probably worth the few extra quid to be honest.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Mine is basically what Tim has but with led lighting, bought mine from bartsharp. They do a slightly larger one and probably worth the few extra quid to be honest.
Mine pre dates LED lighting LOL…..

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Mick

I have one just like Tim's. I do vent it out the window and wear a mask to be on the safe side.

Also if you have to a good lamp(s) you can shine it though the cover to his effect. I've done it this way for years..... Below is it with my brand new lamp.

Good luck in the hunt.

ATB.

Andrew

Post in thread 'What's on the bench 2022' https://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/whats-on-the-bench-2022.38459/post-647304

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Mick,
I showed mine on 'Latest Aquisitions' At the moment it is in the shed waiting for the weather to improve so that I can construct a better spray box for it.... Money not well spent.

• Wow
Reactions: JR

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
OMick,
I showed mine on 'Latest Aquisitions' At the moment it is in the shed waiting for the weather to improve so that I can construct a better spray box for it.... Money not well spent.
So that's the Sparmax SB88 off the list (yes, I'm looking at spray booths too).

Seeing that cheap unit that disappointed @Scratchbuilder, I'm tempted to get a good 'un, and hang the expense. A Benchvent BV300 is the thick end of £400, but looks the business. Perhaps with a charcoal filter canister on the hose.