Primer questions

D

Doggy

Not sure where to put this.

I noticed when looking at the model aircraft they seemed to be primed in grey.

Do you need to prime them? If so why?

And why grey? And where can I buy this grey paint to airbrush?

Thanks guys.

First Name
Adrian
\ said:
Not sure where to put this.I noticed when looking at the model aircraft they seemed to be primed in grey.

Do you need to prime them? If so why?

And why grey? And where can I buy this grey paint to airbrush?

Thanks guys.
A primer helps your paint stick basically, most use grey as it's a great neutral colour, black is ideal for Metal finishes and I use white for light aircraft.

I used to use tamiya primers but they are too expansive , now I use Halfords primers they are about £7 for a huge can, others I know use the Wilkos primers which are just as cheap if not cheaper.

Another thing to consider is to wash allyour sprues before you start, this will get rid of any mold degreasers that could react with your paint.

Adrian

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Halfords Plastic Primer is the one I use. Sticks like you know what to a blanket and gives a good surface for your paints to adhere to. Some say there's no need to prime for enamel paints but I am 100% certain that priming gives better adhesion for enamels,just as it does for acrylics.

Priming will also show up any flaws,sunken seams etc at a stage where you can still fix them before final painting.

Grey just because it is a neutral colour. I do use white on smaller models or when there's no grey available.

Steve

W

wbk666

For airbrushing (acrylics) i use Vallejo model air acrylic polyurethane primer

I normally use grey put it does come in other colours.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I am another Vallejo user. It works well, grey mostly but I also use black sometimes.

D

Doggy

This Vallejo stuff seems to be highly rated.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

D

Doggy

\ said:
A primer helps your paint stick basically, most use grey as it's a great neutral colour, black is ideal for Metal finishes and I use white for light aircraft.I used to use tamiya primers but they are too expansive , now I use Halfords primers they are about £7 for a huge can, others I know use the Wilkos primers which are just as cheap if not cheaper.

Another thing to consider is to wash allyour sprues before you start, this will get rid of any mold degreasers that could react with your paint.

Adrian
Do you just wash them with hot soapy water?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Yes, but not HOT just warm. Hot + plastic = warped plastic.

Its also a good idea to wipe the surfaces of the built kit with rubbing alcohol after its built, but before you prime. Fingerprints can actually draw through the primer.

So wash the kit and your hands then handle the kit as little as possible. Or wear gloves... :smiling:

Ian M

B

Buttonman

I use vallejo Grey and white primer for aircraft black and a mix of all 3 on Armour.

Tried out the can but it's alot of messing around, My opinion.

What ever makes you happy, Wash, rinse and dry to remove the silicon release agent.

Martin

D

Doggy

\ said:
Yes, but not HOT just warm. Hot + plastic = warped plastic.Its also a good idea to wipe the surfaces of the built kit with rubbing alcohol after its built, but before you prime. Fingerprints can actually draw through the primer.

So wash the kit and your hands then handle the kit as little as possible. Or wear gloves... :smiling:

Ian M
Jesus it's like painting a real car.

A

AVB99

I was just looking on Amazon. A 200ml bottle of grey Vallejo surface primer is £13.27 John has it at £9.99! Both before postage.

Aidan

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Halfords Grey primer £7.49 for 500ml, it covers well and dries very smooth.Adrian
And smells! Vallejo primer is for all intents and purpose odour free. An other great primer is the one from Alclad, but that really pongs. Their white one is evil.

Ian M

D

Doggy

Do you thin primer? If so what ratio and what ratio do you thin paint at? One guy I spoke to said he thinned his paint 4 to 1

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The Vallejo and the Alclad primers I use are ready to use. Shake, pour and spay, Job done.

Ian M

First Name
Adrian
\ said:
And smells! Vallejo primer is for all intents and purpose odour free. An other great primer is the one from Alclad, but that really pongs. Their white one is evil.Ian M
I spray in a 10x13 foot metal shed with all mod cons, so I spray and go :smiling3: Plus for the amounts and results I get I'll live with Halfords primers.

The Alclad black is really bad as well but not as aweful as their thinners

D

Doggy

That sounds easy. Do you notice a difference if you don't use primer?

W

wbk666

i have to do my spraying in our home so the "smell free" Vallejo is another plus for me.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
He He, I spray in the house as well and SWMBO was not amused when I primed the Underside of the Vixen with White Alclad primer. Even with an extractor going full tilt, it still stank the whole house out.

The rest was primed with Vallejo today and she didn't even notice...

Ian M