Primer questions

T

tecdes

Doggy. I use the majority of the time Vallejo Model Air or Model. With these I always use a Vallejo Primer & have not had any difficulties. But I am dedicated to cutting out all possible problems so compatibility is my password.

It is easy to use & goes on very smoothly self levelling & is very forgiving if you over airbrush. It has a good grab to the plastic despite the fact that the coating is thin. It stands up well to wet & dry sanding. With its thin coating it has no effect on the model detail panel lines etc.

Comes in about 10 colours now. £9:99 from the Scale Model Shop is a very competitive cost. This is for 200ml & will last a year & a day as it is very economical. Also available in 60ml containers. Both sizes have a droplet feed for easy dispensing straight into the Airbrush bowl. It is airbrush ready but I normally 20% thin especially the first mist coat. It will adhere to plastics & just about all metals.

Go to Acrylicos Vallejo | Colores acrylicos. This will give you colour charts downloads instructions on use & a question & answer download on their products. They also have a first class Customer Service.

Laurie

D

Doggy

Thanks again. I think I'm looking at spending a few quid on paints. I have starter kits but I understand the paints arent very good for airbrushes.

I'll make a list of the colours I need and order them.

A

Apokalipse

If you're using very aggressive paint it can also melt the plastic, so the primer is used as a barrier between the plastic and the paint. Though this is mostly a concern when trying to achieve a glossy paint job for cars as the more serious builders use 2 component polyurethane paint. Dries really hard to make sanding and polishing a bit easier, but as I've said before it's aggressive.

That being said though I've only seen it happen twice, but thought I would share with people here anyway.

T

tecdes

\ said:
Thanks again. I think I'm looking at spending a few quid on paints. I have starter kits but I understand the paints arent very good for airbrushes.I'll make a list of the colours I need and order them.
Doggy i would only buy the paint for your current model only. You may not like the paint type manufacturer you have chosen. You may end up with a collection you never use.

Like some one who has 50 Humbrol & 15 Revell pots now never used sitting there like clever dicks looking at me & smiling.

Laurie

D

Doggy

Hi again guys I'm looking for some more help.

I want to try the Vallejo white paint for a Mitsubishi Zero.

The Airfix starter set paint is numbered 90. On the Humbrol chart it's called biege green, it looks white in picture on the box.

My paper chart relates 90 to Vallejo 885, but thats not air is it?

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Doggy I am doing a Zero at the moment.

From what you have said you have a green camo which would have a grey underside.

The Vallejo paints I am using, based on various IJN comparative tables are as follows:

IJN Green 2 topside: Air 019

IJN Grey underside: Colour 989

IJN Green Grey cockpit: Colour 830

Wheel wells: I am using Gunze Metallic Blue Green

I am priming with Vallejo grey primer

These are good matches based on quite detailed research using several sites. Where Model Colour is being used I am thinning 50% with Vallejo thinners for airbrushing.

I hope that helps.

Sorry - just re-read your post and looked at 885 and it seems that you are doing an earlier Zero than me so my colours would be wrong. apologies. 885 is not Air, its Colour, but it will airbrush if properly thinned. The cockpit and wheel wells would be the same as I said above.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Buttonman

Hi just gonna throw this in. If you have a smart mobile you can download the Hobby paint app for free it compares most paint types and it now has a measurement app as well eg 1/1 too 1/35 =

Martin

D

Doggy

its this one here.

Mitsubishi Zero Starter Set (A55102) Model Kit and Accessories by Airfix=

it looks white to me.

ill look for that app, sounds handy.

D

Doggy

Ok, Im geeting a better understanding now.

The air range isnt exhaustive? so we/you need to improvise a bit.

B

Buttonman

It's really handy called 'hobby color converter'

Looks like a multi coloured pizza

Martin

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
\ said:
Ok, Im geeting a better understanding now.The air range isnt exhaustive? so we/you need to improvise a bit.
The range is expanding but the IJN colours in Air are not there yet.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Doggy -

The Official Humbrol Website

Beige Green.

A

AVB99

Just been watching Flory doing his build of the 1:32 Mustang. Not a hint of primer in sight. Interior green straight onto the plastic. Makes me wonder!

Aidan

Last edited:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Interesting - Phil Flory usually does prime, I think with Tammy XF22. Was that just the interior you were watching of the overall paint job?

T

tecdes

Aidan did you watch the whole thing ?

Flory primes the complete outside in black to receive an aluminuim metalizer paint.

If it is the interior only then I understand that. I do not use primer internally unless there is a good reason to.

My main reasons for priming.

First it shows up imperfections which you cannot see on the grey plastic (he mentions that in the video).

Two primer sticks to the plastic better than the top coats.

Three it has more thickness than the top coat which gives a good base start for the top coats

Four it obliterates all the things that have happened in construction you do not want & will shine through the top coat. Mainly the filler usually not grey as the model is.

Five with the right colour it gives a good base for showing off to its best advantage the colour you are using as a top coat.

Six if you use a tape to mask off during airbrushing it is less likely that the tape will strip paint when being removed ie the primer will give a better key to the base plastic.

Seven there is less likely to be wearing of the surface if the model is handled. I did not prime figures recently & found the paint was wearing off where I had handled them to apply paint to other parts.

I think most of those above in their own right are jolly good reasons for applying primer. But then there are some who do not. I am "sticking" to my primer (which just shows you how good it is).

Laurie

A

AVB99

Hi Barry and Laurie - Yes - to be fair, I have only so far, watched the interior although it's a big surface on 1:32. I guess if i's interior, as you imply, it's less important for a qua;ity finish, being only an interior. Always learning! (And always using primer!)

Another thing I noticed was that he uses Tamiya Extra Thin cement to glue peices which have been painted. When I do that the paint melts and makes a mess - so I use CA instead! Hmmm

Aidan

D

Doggy

\ said:
The range is expanding but the IJN colours in Air are not there yet.
Hi. can i ask for clarifycation. does ijn stand for Imperial Japanese navy?