Proposed truck group build

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Good stuff a couple of questions ,are we talking trucks just cargo carrying, or trucks fuel bowser, tarmac tanker ,what about trucks converted to carry weapon systems ie flack ,kataushka? you know them russian rocket things ,millitary towing stuff ,sorry Peter but if we've got a definite starting point now we can all start the race from the same side of the line. Its your GB so you set the rules many thanks for getting this on the go. Dave

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Good stuff a couple of questions ,are we talking trucks just cargo carrying, or trucks fuel bowser, tarmac tanker ,what about trucks converted to carry weapon systems ie flack ,kataushka? you know them russian rocket things ,millitary towing stuff ,sorry Peter but if we've got a definite starting point now we can all start the race from the same side of the line. Its your GB so you set the rules many thanks for getting this on the go. Dave
Good question I think my idea was cargo trucks as they are designed to carry different loads we're as tankers are only designed to carry one type of load if you can get where i am coming from

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
If it's general purpose load carriers, does that stretch to Jim R's QLB, as that only carries personnel? And ammo.

The 28mm Matador I want to do is, ostensibly, an artillery tow, but the big flat bed carries all sorts of other stuff. My intent is to convert to an early version anyway, if I DON'T get seduced into doing a 1948 Circus transport

Well, we've got a while for Peter to set definitions

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
If it's decided that my Bedford gun tractor doesn't really fit the bill then I'll modify it to represent a post war truck that has been sold on into civilian service. A DIY flatbed job. I'd considered that anyway. Simples ;)

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I've not fully decided yet but you pretty much read my mind when amending the first post Peter ;)

The vehicle in question can be used for other loads and general haulage though, so should fit the build criteria nicely either way.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Love that.

Funnily enough my second option is some version of a 143 as a tribute to my dad. They were by far his favourite truck to drive. "there's no such thing as a hill in a Scania, son". He never got chance to drive a 144 :sleeping2:

Trouble is I have no idea where to start. Scalemates seems to suggest it's Italeri or nothing. Are their truck kits decent enough as it's way outside of anything I've looked into?

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
So can we build just the Truck Tractor that pulls trailers and not add a trailer? If not may have to decide on something else’s

Reactions: JR

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
So can we build just the Truck Tractor that pulls trailers and not add a trailer? If not may have to decide on something else’s
Having another thought on this there a lots of ways that can define the meaning of a truck so I suppose you can build the main truck and add a trailer as with my big scania is defined as a truck that can pull different loads ie: trailers

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
a post war truck that has been sold on into civilian service.
That’s one of my two ideas as well. I would build a model of probably this GMC:

Crab T148656 being towed.JPG

… since it will fit nicely with the Sherman Crab I built a few years ago, seeing as how that is being towed here :smiling3:

This is the straightforward idea, as it just needs an open-topped GMC converted to have an enclosed cab. The other idea is more involved:

GMC truck carrying Piper Cub.jpg

That’s a GMC truck carrying a Piper Cub observation aircraft. This was commonly done during the war, judging by photos, but is a lot to build. I doubt I’d finish it even in four months, knowing my usual building habits and speed :smiling3:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.