RC Claas Combine havester.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
And for letting the odd virus through - spent a day with an annoying one - screen full of daisies, now with AVG, they are a bit annoying trying to get money out of you for 'services'.
Had problems with AVG too. The free version will search for virus’ but if it finds one it’s wants paying for a ‘removal tool’.
Can anyone on here who uses Windows recommend a good AV program for Chris??
If it were a Mac then I’d say ‘ClamXV but that a Mac only AV prog. And yes, people now write virus’ for Macs!!!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have always had Norton and pleased with it. It just seems like they have found out that what they had "all included" could be chipped away at and then sold as add ons.
I have seen a Windows developer say, on video that he relies entirely on windows defender. A bit brave? a bit stupid? Says he has never had any trouble with virus or hackers...

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
A good a/v comes free with Windows 10 and Windows 11
It was used by my last place of employment by over 2000 windows installs.
People doing research do not risk data.
The servers ran the enterprise version to check files saved to the user areas on the servers , and windows defender kept the laptops and desktops free of viruses.
Nothing is guaranteed to stop a virus until people know about the virus and can update the virus lookup tables for the a/v software.

UPDATE:

Might be worth reading

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI GUYS sorry but my windows 10 p/c laptop hasnt got a slide disk built in it like my old p/c an MANY thanks all for your help Ian, Mike ,Si , an gern . an others but Mike manythanks for your help but if you send me the info i wont understand it im afraid as im hopeless on puters yes i can do a defrag an a surcurity scan but other than that no way as i will take the p/c to hughes where i bought it from an a guy there puts on my NORTON BUT as its in the red on security he may say have to send it off as ive had this happen a few yrs back but all you guys many thanks for your help
chrisb

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Personally, I use Norton 360 and it works fine. Gary’s advice is sound as well though.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Personally, I use Norton 360 and it works fine. Gary’s advice is sound as well though.
HI TIM that's what ive got on my p/c laptop as ive tried a mc fee is it an that was rubbish then i used one my boaty mate told me about again useless so i went back to NORTON ugh
chrisb

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
HI TIM that's what ive got on my p/c laptop as ive tried a mc fee is it an that was rubbish then i used one my boaty mate told me about again useless so i went back to NORTON ugh
chrisb
Did you uninstall the others Chris? Could just be a clash between them if they are all still in there?

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I used to use Norton, but it caused more problems than it cured. I now use AVG Free, which hasn't asked me for exra money for virus removal, although it does offer extra features for the paid version. My last employer, a multinational with over 350k employees, also settled on AVG for the UK. I've tried Avast but found it rather slow in operation.

Pete