Red Arrows: Which Red?

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Hi Andy, from one noobie air brusher to another, the best advice I ever got was, just do it. Once I got over my nerves about using the air brush on a carefully built model,I was able to move on. I still make lots of mistakes, but I try to learn from them, sometimes I don't and make the same mistake again, just done it today trying to air brush varnish onto NMF F-86 and buggering it up, again, but I'll get there. Go on mate, have a go.

BTW I saw at the top of your thread you were looking for paint conversions, have you seen this -

http://www.paint4models.com/

I use it quite regularly as I only use vallejo paints and need to convert kit paint suggestions to vallejo colours.

Have fun.

Tony.

A

Andy Mac

\ said:
what have you got airbrush and compressor wise.
I've got an Iwata Revolution CR that I got from John's Scale Model Shop Ebay shop. with an Airbrush Compressor AS186 with a 3L tank.

I done lots of scouring the 'net for reviews and advice before I made my purchase, and hopefully it'll serve me well.

A

Antler Fallen

\ said:
I've got an Iwata Revolution CR that I got from John's Scale Model Shop Ebay shop. with an Airbrush Compressor AS186 with a 3L tank.I done lots of scouring the 'net for reviews and advice before I made my purchase, and hopefully it'll serve me well.
Cool so you have the .5 tip, you wont need to thin any of the primers or the model air range, I have the Revolution Br it has the .35 tip and i think the paints need a little thinning for my airbrush. Next on my hit list is a Cr for these larger models, the paint cup on the Br empties in tenths of seconds on full chat as they say

matt

:smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Oh Andy, before I forget, remember you'll need some solvent for the xtracrylix - Vallejo airbrush cleaner has been suggested elsewhere. Having used airbrush cleaner with other paints I'm trusting in this advise.Cheers, P
Buy some Vallejo thinners for airbrush. Thinners are thinners and dilute the paint. Airbrush cleaners, break the paint down. I have read that people have used cleaner as a thinner but I would advise against it.

I'm no chemist, but I do know that the thinners contain the same acrylic polymers as the paint but are just in a thinner medium. So although you are diluting the paint to make it thinner, you are adding more of the same binders.

You can use distilled water, but that also makes the weaker and if over thinned you can actually rub it off when you handle the model.

Airbrush cleaner is designed to break down the paint. Destroying the paints ability to bind.....

I'll pull up a chair now and sit back and await the rebuttals

Ian M

A

Antler Fallen

\ said:
Buy some Vallejo thinners for airbrush. Thinners are thinners and dilute the paint. Airbrush cleaners, break the paint down. I have read that people have used cleaner as a thinner but I would advise against it.I'm no chemist, but I do know that the thinners contain the same acrylic polymers as the paint but are just in a thinner medium. So although you are diluting the paint to make it thinner, you are adding more of the same binders.

You can use distilled water, but that also makes the weaker and if over thinned you can actually rub it off when you handle the model.

Airbrush cleaner is designed to break down the paint. Destroying the paints ability to bind.....

I'll pull up a chair now and sit back and await the rebuttals

Ian M
Same way i think about it, So if its wrong then we are both wrong, and there are 2 types of thinners for vallejo, the one for airbrush ( clear used for air application) and Thinner Medium ( cloudy, used for brush applications)

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
As a foot note: If you use the airbrush thinner to thin paint for brush painting it will 90% of the time make the paint drag. The 'Ordinary' thinner can be used in an airbrush, just add a drop or two of distilled water.

If you are an airbrush user, I can recommend that you buy a big bottle of airbrush thinner and a little one of the other thinner. I have sent a pretty good spay job tits upwards using airbrush thinners to thin with a brush for spotting and touch up. It just dragged up the sprayed paint even though it was three days dry.

Ian M

A

Antler Fallen

I would keep with the thinner for thinning and the cleaner for cleaning

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

A

Andy Mac

\ said:
I would keep with the thinner for thinning and the cleaner for cleaning
I think you're right there Matt, that's what I'll do. :D

I've now got flow improver, and some Vallejo retarder, so I should hopefully be covered for any eventuality. I'll just see how it goes once I get going.

I'm also starting to have doubts about the Xtracrylics X1014 Red Arrows Red (BS537), I've seen reviews on the net and You Tube videos showing that it's a bit too "orangey". I'm fairly sure it's the correct colour, but the "scale effect" makes it look the wrong shade and a bit too "orange".

When I have a practice with the airbrush I'll test the Xtracrylics X1014 Red Arrows Red and some Vallejo 71.084 Model-Air "Fire Red" to see which looks the best. I think at the end of the day it's down to what looks right for the modeller (me ;) )

I had a trip to Hannants yesterday afternoon with the intention of getting half-a-dozen pots of Xtracrylix for brushing/airbrushing use. I left after an hour with over £40 of goodies in a carrier bag. That place is just too tempting to visit too often (even if it is only a mile away). Lol :rolleyes:

A

Andy Mac

\ said:
BTW I saw at the top of your thread you were looking for paint conversions, have you seen this -http://www.paint4models.com/
Cheers Tony, that's a great reference site, I've used it a few times now. Cheers for the link.