Revell 1/24 Ferrari F 310B 1997 Formula 1

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Around the turn of the century, Revell produced a range of 1/24 Formula 1 cars - Honda, Sauber, Mugen,Peugeot & Ferrari. They weren't around for very long, but must have been produced in fair numbers, as they are still to be found on ebay, or pre-owned sites.
They were not as detailed as the 1/20 Tamiya Formula 1 cars, very much aimed at a cheaper market, having said that - most of the engine/gearbox is hidden by the bodywork, where most of the Tamiya detail is.
The Ferrari F 310B was driven in the 1997 season by Michael Schumacher & Eddie Irvine, winning 5 races.
I bought this from ebay, unboxed, in a joint lot with a Ferrari T50 coupe - the coupe had been half built ( not very well ), and the seller couldn't guarantee that all the bits were there. I took a gamble, paid £9.85 delivered................. The F50 needs a lot of work, it needs to be stripped back, but the F 310 is complete, a few bits off the sprue, but OK
Sprue shots
DSCF3219.JPGDSCF3215.JPGDSCF3221.JPG

Instructions - the usual Revell B & W A4 sheets
DSCF3222.JPGDSCF3223.JPG

The Ferrari of that period didn't have that many sponsor logos, so there aren't that many decals.
A couple of detail shots
DSCF3216.JPG
DSCF3217.JPG
DSCF3218.JPG

DSCF3220.JPG

Not a massive amount of parts ( or detail ), and the final result will be very much dependent on getting a good finish on that red bodywork!
Dave

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
I have built a few of these revell f1 cars and they are not bad however some that I have built for some strange reason the tyres were to small and didn't touch the ground so I thought I would give you a quick heads up if you don't mind this is one of the ones where the tyres don't touch the ground. P1030253.JPG

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I have built a few of these revell f1 cars and they are not bad however some that I have built for some strange reason the tyres were to small and didn't touch the ground so I thought I would give you a quick heads up if you don't mind this is one of the ones where the tyres don't touch the ground. View attachment 451051
Pete,
that's an odd one - thanks for the heads up!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
A half hour at the bench has produced this ( and I can feel my back complaining ! )
DSCF3236.JPG
I'm not going to spend much time on the engine - as not a lot will be seen when the upper bodywork is added, mainly the rear suspension struts, The upper body has several loose panels fitted, and in order to get a really good base finish, some filler & sanding sponges will be needed. It's only a very simple model, I reckon adding the decals will take the longest time.
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
A bit of paintwork on the engine & the bodywork primed & basecoated
DSCF3237.JPG
I searched through all my red colours, and settled on this, AK3 Blood Red - looks a little light in the photo, but looks OK on my bench. I'll leave this overnight, then start the gloss varnish process. I've a new bottle of Humbrol Clear gloss I want to open!
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
Looking good so far. Are the tyres rubber or plastic? Looks as if they just push onto the wheels and you have to put on decals.
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hi Dave
Looking good so far. Are the tyres rubber or plastic? Looks as if they just push onto the wheels and you have to put on decals.
Jim
The tyres are rubber - adding decals to them is always a bit of a hit & miss operation -one thing I have learned is to add the hubs before decalling - you'll invariably mess them up if you don't
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Oh good grief! Having primed & basecoated - I left the bits overnight, then sprayed a light coat of Humbrol Clear gloss overall
The upper & lower body are what I expected, another coat or two of gloss will bring up the shine
DSCF3239.JPG
The smaller parts!!!!!!!!!!!!......................................................:angry:
DSCF3240.JPGDSCF3242.JPG
All of these parts have had the same treatment, washed, primed & basecoated. The gloss was applied all at the same time, the same session, straight from the bottle, but what has happened???
If I hadn't known that it was all from the same session, I would have said that the varnish had been overthinned, but that wasn't the case!!
Looks like I'll be stripping all that back!!! :sad:
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I decided to use a sanding sponge & remove all the bad paint areas, and take the shine off the rest. I then resprayed Blood Red all over.......................
DSCF3263.JPG
It has gone on very well - I'll leave that overnight & attempt a gloss coat over it tomorrow, fingers crossed!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hi Dave
That's very strange.
Jim
Jim,
still can't work that out! The only explanation I could come up with was that I had grease on my hands & that got transferred to the parts, but why only the small parts? One of life's unsolved mysteries!
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hope it works or better this time Dave.

ATB.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Blimey, bad case of surface contamination there Dave. Whatever it was just didn’t come off with your sprue wash I suppose…..weird that the main body parts were OK though…

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice work Dave. I'm sure I've said before, I generally avoid cars because of the gloss paintwork. It's not the easiest of stuff to get right.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Nice work Dave. I'm sure I've said before, I generally avoid cars because of the gloss paintwork. It's not the easiest of stuff to get right.
I couldn't agree with you more! I looked at finally finishing this off with an actual car wax, and polishing, but I'll wait to see how the gloss varnish alone looks at the end of the build
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Just about ready to fit the upper body & say goodbye to the engine!
DSCF3266.JPG
It pays to read the instructions, several decals have to be added before assembly ( like the internal faces of the rear wing - carbon fibre decals to be added ), and the seatbelts - luckily the seat tub is still loose............
Dave