Scotties big Zundapp

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I managed to pick this up for a very good price at our local model show. The build on my Krupp has stalled a little so I thought this might help me get back the mojo. It is not a scale I am used to but gives great scope to give things a tweak.

This is the Italeri offering. The box contains 6 large sprues moulded in light grey, I clear sprue, one soft plastic sprue with saddle and seat parts, four vinyl tires and finally a bag of springs and other small parts. The instructions are in booklet form and the decals give you a choice of four finishes.

DSCF3536.JPG

DSCF3537.JPG

DSCF3538.JPG

DSCF3539.JPG

DSCF3540.JPG

I'm just waiting for the brass wire I have ordered to replace the kit spokes.

cheers
Scottie

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I got this in the stash Scottie :smiling3:
I got as far as putting the sidecar halves together and base coating it.....that was probably about 18 months ago!!
I'll follow this for sure, it looks a great kit with loads of potential for scratching the finer details....will you be respoking the wheels? That bit scared me!! ;)

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I got this in the stash Scottie :smiling3:
I got as far as putting the sidecar halves together and base coating it.....that was probably about 18 months ago!!
I'll follow this for sure, it looks a great kit with loads of potential for scratching the finer details....will you be respoking the wheels? That bit scared me!! ;)
Yes mate I'm going to give it a go. I will start with the spare wheel so if I get it wrong I can cover it with a tarp or something later lol.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I've seen this kit quite a few times but always resisted. I'm sure it will build up well. Good idea to replace the spokes. Even at this scale the kit wheels need improvement. I look forward to seeing how this goes.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
ooooh nice

look forward to seeing this go together

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking forward to this…..good luck with lacing the wheels, but I’m sure you don’t need it…..

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I've seen this kit quite a few times but always resisted. I'm sure it will build up well. Good idea to replace the spokes. Even at this scale the kit wheels need improvement. I look forward to seeing how this goes.
Jim, I am the same seen it lots of time. I saw a completed kit at our model show built by someone in our club and thought yup it's time to build one.
Tim,ooooh nice

look forward to seeing this go together
Paul, welcome aboard mate.
Good luck with the wheel building!
Paul, I will need it, it will be a first for me but nothing ventured nothing gained.
I'll follow along - looking forward to seeing you work your magic on this one Scottie...

Nick
Nick, don't know about magic but you are more than welcome aboard.
Looking forward to this…..good luck with lacing the wheels, but I’m sure you don’t need it…..
Tim, I will need more than luck mate.
Good luck with all the fiddley parts mate. :smiling5: ;) :cool: :thumb2: Should test your patience. A couple of figures would look nice????
Steve, given my sausage fingers most builds test my patience ;)
Count me in Paul
Bob, welcome mate tea and biscuits will be served later.
I'll be following. This looks interesting.
Mike welcome mate
Ooh I'm in!
Neil, hi matey pull up a chair

First Name
Andy
Looking forward to this Paul, I have built a more than a few spoked wheels for full size bikes but respoking a model wheel is a whole different ball game.

Andy.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Work has begun. The sidecar tub has been put together then a liberal amount of filler to fill in the joint and the sink marks.

DSCF3544.JPG

Next the duckboard was chopped up and the slats replaced with basswood and punched rivets.

DSCF3545.JPG

Next the real fun. The kit spokes are offset and there is a casting line all-round the rim. Only one thing to do replace them with wire and small tube to represent the collar, probably the wrong term. The valve was also replaced.

DSCF3546.JPG

Finally punched discs were used to represent the end of the spokes on the hub.

Only 7 more halves to do.

cheers Scottie

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Seat please at the front Paul .
Can't imagine any of this being a problem for you .