Scotties big Zundapp

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Scottie, I'll park my self next to Richard.......if he starts snoring I can always give him a nudge..... ;) Nice job on the wheel spokes, on a bike this size you have a lot of real estate to get creative in. :smiling:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Scottie, I'll park my self next to Richard.......if he starts snoring I can always give him a nudge..... ;) Nice job on the wheel spokes, on a bike this size you have a lot of real estate to get creative in. :smiling:
No worries mate. I would let him sleep this will be a long build.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
As its nippy outside, I hope bacon butties are on offer! Whatever, another great build to grab my attention

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Scottie, that's coming on beautifully! Very well done so far.

Andrew

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Steve, the only way lol. If you want the ultimate sarnie, fresh crusty bread crispy bacon strong cheddar and marmite. Trust me it's fit for a king.
Marmite ... for a moment I thought we were sympatico! Everything else was perfecto! Tsk, tsk, tsk!
Steve :anguished:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Amazing work on the spokes paul , they look superb , and put me down for one of those sandwiches please :smiling3: cheers tony

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
The wheel looks great, the new spokes set it off nicely Paul, I've never done a bike, so I'll be watching to see how it's done!

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
To all who have liked and commented about the wheels thank you very much for the kind words. I thought I would do a SBS on the last wheel, just to show how I went about it and how easy it is. There are other methods but this one in this scale worked for me.

The first thing is to mark out where the spokes are and the angle they are fitted. Then remove a few at a time I normally do about four at a time this gives the hub plenty of support. Next clean up the seam line and remnants of the moulded nipples.

DSCF3550.JPG

Using a drill bit the size of the nipple to be used, in my case some vinyl tube drill the outer rim using the marks as a guide.

DSCF3551.JPG

Next using a drill the size of the spoke itself drill the hub. you will notice the holes on the hub are offset to allow the spokes to pass each other. The holes don't need to be deep as long as they provide a positive location.

DSCF3553.JPG

DSCF3554.JPG

The vinyl tube was cut at 7mm ish lengths and slid over the new spokes.

DSCF3556.JPG

now push one end of the wire into the locating hole then slide the nipple down the wire into the hole in the rim until you have enough on the inside of the rim. when happy CA both ends in place.
Just remember to follow the correct direction of the spokes.

DSCF3557.JPG

When happy snip off the remaining wire. Now repeat until you have worked round the whole wheel.

Sorry if it was long winded but hopefully you can see that all though time consuming it is quite easy if you take your time and get the holes in the right place.

cheers
Scottie

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Well worth all that time and thanks for the sbs Scottie.

Cheers,
Richard aka Wabble