Scotties Miniart US Bulldozer

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Just caught up on this one Scottie, mind is sufficiently blown as usual. Beautiful work.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Some excellent scratchery Paul. Beautiful to see, but you've convinced me! All my Miniart kits will be going up on ebay in due course. I'll use what time I have to tackle kits that are buildable with my modest skills!

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I’ll have to keep that in mind when I get round to building mine, then :smiling3:
Hope you have more patience than me ;)
Scottie,
some of the MiniArt models are massively over engineered - I have a YA-12 Soviet tractor in my shelf of doom - this was the model that really put me off MiniArt - tiny pieces, brittle plastic - it brings me out in a cold sweat just thinking about it! The Trumpeter S-65, the tracks were marginally less tortuous, I gave up any thought of 'working' tracks, and CA'd most bits together - a little mud can hide a really dodgy construction!
Dave
I agree Dave they don't need to be so complicated with modern moulding techniques. It could just be I'm not up to the challenge anymore.

Have you not seen my townhouse???? ;) :smiling5:
Sorry Andy you lost me on that one :smiling:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Just caught up on this one Scottie, mind is sufficiently blown as usual. Beautiful work.
Thanks Jack really appreciate it.
Some excellent scratchery Paul. Beautiful to see, but you've convinced me! All my Miniart kits will be going up on ebay in due course. I'll use what time I have to tackle kits that are buildable with my modest skills!
Dave,
Please don't let me put you off they are on the whole good kits with nice detail just a bit complicated sometimes. Give them a go your skills up well up to the challenge.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew

I agree Dave they don't need to be so complicated with modern moulding techniques. It could just be I'm not up to the challenge anymore.

Sorry Andy you lost me on that one :smiling:
Sorry Scottie, I was being a bit cryptic there.

I'm in the process of building one of their 1/72 townhouses....a seemingly simple concept that has been over engineered/designed in a similar way to yours.....

You can see what I mean here https://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/andrews-resurrected-1-72-miniart-town-house.39159/

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Weeellll … mine is the armoured dozer, so a lot of the details won’t be seen at all, that should make it less stressful to build :smiling3: Of course, having to add the fuel and oil tanks and a new seat plus vision blocks, as well as correcting the shape of the armour turn that the other way again …

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Sort of reminds me of my big yellow machine...........used hard, old and decrepit. If that is what you are going for....you've nailed it! :thumb2:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I think you've done a fine job so far. I'm assuming it's civilian. I'd go further w/weathering if it's to be abandoned, but not if it's to be completed/operational. Abandoned would still have cables flopping about, not necessarily attached to much. Operational would require fixing the broken handle that comes over the seat from the winch. HTH.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Looking very good to me mate, the only thing that stands out is third picture the roof supports look a bit green, could be just the picture.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Very believable weathering. Looks as if it's had a hard life.
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I’ll be as honest as I can, so don’t take offence…..
Not sure if you are going for dusty or muddy here Scottie, and I know you are far from finished, but this is what I see….
The weathering so far is good. it looks like a dusty and well used machine. However, it seems a little one dimensional, as if this is just the underlying canvas and there is much more to come on top. Some fading and streaking might help, as might some more contrast in the rust and shadow areas. There is a lot of texture on that chugger so it would be good to bring it out a little as well. Seat looks a little new as well…..and perhaps there should be some oil staining around the engine. …..
Your model your rules though……

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Paul

I agree with Tim but I would also add more saturated yellow in a rough stippled fashion to break up the rather monotone base.

John

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I like it a lot Paul. That being said, if it has sat outside in the elements, I'd imagine the roof panel and hood too should be more faded (sun-bleached), perhaps ?

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I have made a start on the weathering. What I am going to say next is honestly NOT to get good comments or solicit praise. I value your honest feedback because I don't think what I have done is very good. So please be brutal and honest and tell me what you think, if you think it's pants say so, and pointers to get it better.
1656874372411.png
1656874413329.png
1656874444528.png
1656874481745.png

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Sort of reminds me of my big yellow machine...........used hard, old and decrepit. If that is what you are going for....you've nailed it! :thumb2:
Thanks Rick. if you can recognise it from the real thing then that is good enough for me.
I think you've done a fine job so far. I'm assuming it's civilian. I'd go further w/weathering if it's to be abandoned, but not if it's to be completed/operational. Abandoned would still have cables flopping about, not necessarily attached to much. Operational would require fixing the broken handle that comes over the seat from the winch. HTH.
No Dave it is still going to be a working machine. That lever is another of those that snapped glad you reminded me to fit a new one.
Looking very good to me mate, the only thing that stands out is third picture the roof supports look a bit green, could be just the picture.
Mark I think it is just the picture, but I will check.
Jim
Thanks Jim glad you approve.
I like that - honestly! Nice one mate!
Steve
Thank you Steve.
Not sure if you are going for dusty or muddy here Scottie, and I know you are far from finished, but this is what I see….
The weathering so far is good. it looks like a dusty and well used machine. However, it seems a little one dimensional, as if this is just the underlying canvas and there is much more to come on top. Some fading and streaking might help, as might some more contrast in the rust and shadow areas. There is a lot of texture on that chugger so it would be good to bring it out a little as well. Seat looks a little new as well…..and perhaps there should be some oil staining around the engine. …..
Tim, thanks very much for the great input and your right it does need something extra and your suggestions are spot on.
Paul

I agree with Tim but I would also add more saturated yellow in a rough stippled fashion to break up the rather monotone base.

John
John, agreed thanks very much for the advice.
I like it a lot Paul. That being said, if it has sat outside in the elements, I'd imagine the roof panel and hood too should be more faded (sun-bleached), perhaps ?
Ron, thanks mate and agreed I

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Rick. if you can recognise it from the real thing then that is good enough for me.
No Dave it is still going to be a working machine. That lever is another of those that snapped glad you reminded me to fit a new one.
Mark I think it is just the picture, but I will check.
Jim
Thanks Jim glad you approve.
I like that - honestly! Nice one mate!
Steve
Thank you Steve.
Tim, thanks very much for the great input and your right it does need something extra and your suggestions are spot on.
Paul

John
John, agreed thanks very much for the advice.
Ron, thanks mate and agreed I will address that

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I value your honest feedback because I don't think what I have done is very good. So please be brutal and honest and tell me what you think,

Why dont you think it is very good mate?? It seems fine to me. Have you set yourself up to create a certain look that hasn't gone the way you thought it would? If there are any specifics I am sure there will be someone to help

Reactions: JR
First Name
Andy
Don't knock yourself Scottie, I think it looks great. Perhaps a bit more staining on the engine/exhaust manifold and scuff the seat up a bit but it is something you shoud be proud of, well done. Now get on with those tracks! ;)

Andy.

Reactions: JR