Scotties Miniart US Bulldozer

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Keep it coming Mr Scottie...... she's looking the business alright!

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Paul, I have 200% faith in you and your great skills my friend!!!..........

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
"Shortcut" routing - right side of right drum to over rear A-frame sheave, etc., etc.
Cat D7 color 1280.jpg
Routing through fairleads - right side of right drum over upper-right fairlead to under lower-right fairlead to over rear A-frame sheave etc., etc.
D7 cable rout.jpg
Hope this helps. Was no fun in 1/87.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I'm sure you won't, but if you did I bet the pig would have perfect hearing!
Pete
Peter, haha very kind of you.
The joys of model making mate. Now which bulldozer is it your building LOL

View attachment 455631

Here are some close ups if it helps. Plenty of reference photos if you need them. If it helps others have said this is the worst piece of the build. Onwards and upwards now my friend. Great work

View attachment 455632View attachment 455633View attachment 455634View attachment 455635
Cheers Steve.
I think 'spot on' mate - working perfectly methinks and looking superb (now I am jealous!)
Steve
Thanks Steve really appreciate the comment.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Keep it coming Mr Scottie...... she's looking the business alright!
Thanks Rick glad you approve.
Paul, I have 200% faith in you and your great skills my friend!!!..........
Allen I'm glad you have faith mate I am beginning to wonder with this build.
Cheers Andrew
"Shortcut" routing - right side of right drum to over rear A-frame sheave, etc., etc.
View attachment 455641
Routing through fairleads - right side of right drum over upper-right fairlead to under lower-right fairlead to over rear A-frame sheave etc., etc.
View attachment 455642
Hope this helps. Was no fun in 1/87.
Thanks Paul I wonder why they missed out the fairleads.
Excellent!! :thumb2: :thumb2:
Thanks Rick.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Maybe the cable broke & they were in a hurry. Several different photos show the "shortcut" taken for plow operations, but never when doing pulls or operating scrapers.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
This may well become my very first shelf queen. I made s start on the tracks today and what PITA, each part has multiple sprue gates that need cleaning up and there is not one positive point of contact. The pin that joins the two sides of the links is loose in the holes both inner and outer so they flop about and the two location points on the top of each link are so badly moulded they do not fit the the shoe. I am in the process of trying to make a jig to hold the parts in the right place. The tracks have really let this kit down.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Scottie
Tracks are often a real trial but these sound impossible. Are there any aftermarket tracks available? If you can build a jig that should help. Could you replace the loose pins with a slightly larger diameter wire or styrene rod?
Jim

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hope you can work round it, it's frustrating to abandon something you already put a lot of effort into, the amount I've got unfinished they've now become spare room queen's the amount of space they take up!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
This may well become my very first shelf queen. I made s start on the tracks today and what PITA, each part has multiple sprue gates that need cleaning up and there is not one positive point of contact. The pin that joins the two sides of the links is loose in the holes both inner and outer so they flop about and the two location points on the top of each link are so badly moulded they do not fit the the shoe. I am in the process of trying to make a jig to hold the parts in the right place. The tracks have really let this kit down.
That sounds like a real challenge Scottie. Sure you can crack it though, just take it slow and careful and you be fine. What is weird is that the tracks look quite simple in design, so why have Miniart made it so hard?

Reactions: JR

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hey Paul, if the tracks don't work out the way you want, Friul Model makes a set of metal tracks for the D-7 (ATL-178) They sell for about €19 for a set. maybe food for thought my friend..............

Prost
Allen

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Scottie
Tracks are often a real trial but these sound impossible. Are there any aftermarket tracks available? If you can build a jig that should help. Could you replace the loose pins with a slightly larger diameter wire or styrene rod?
Jim
Jim, I was thinking along those lines I will have a measure and order some rod that is a better fit.
Hope you can work round it, it's frustrating to abandon something you already put a lot of effort into, the amount I've got unfinished they've now become spare room queen's the amount of space they take up!
Mark, I doubt it will beat me as I'm not someone who gives up easily. I think Miniart have just made them over complicated. I will find a work around.
That sounds like a real challenge Scottie. Sure you can crack it though, just take it slow and careful and you be fine. What is weird is that the tracks look quite simple in design, so why have Miniart made it so hard?
Tim, I will get there. They are obviously designed for people with more patience and smaller fingers than me lol.
Hey Paul, if the tracks don't work out the way you want, Friul Model makes a set of metal tracks for the D-7 (ATL-178) They sell for about €19 for a set. maybe food for thought my friend..............

Prost
Allen
Hi Allen cheers for that I might give them a look see. Hopefully I will find a work around.

First Name
Andy
Just looked at the instructions for those tracks and they look a real pain to put together, much more complex than the tracks on the Mirror Models dozer I built which I thought were bad. Best of luck with them Scottie and I am sure you will manage to beat them into shape.

Andy.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Just looked at the instructions for those tracks and they look a real pain to put together, much more complex than the tracks on the Mirror Models dozer I built which I thought were bad. Best of luck with them Scottie and I am sure you will manage to beat them into shape.

Andy.
Andy, I had another go at them today and I have decided to go with Allen's suggestion and order some fruits. Man I hate to be beaten but they are not worth my sanity lol.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Scottie
Probably the best option. It's only money and this way you'll keep your sanity.
As for being beaten - we will happily replace fenders and moulded on mesh so tracks are no different.
Jim

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Scottie
Probably the best option. It's only money and this way you'll keep your sanity.
As for being beaten - we will happily replace fenders and moulded on mesh so tracks are no different.
Jim
Jim,
Very true it's just I don't like being beaten by a kit.