Scribers

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Dear all
Looking to add a scribing tool to my collection of tools. The last one I got from flea bay was next to useless. What do you guys recommend please?

Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Depends on what you are scribing Mick. If you are using it for marking out I’d go with one from Eclipse tools. They sharpen beautifully and hold their point forever.
For cleaning out panel lines, scribing plank lines, etc. I would also go with the Tamiya, though it’s really a scrawker (it’s to do with the cutting edge), not a scriber ;)
Best thing about the Tamiya type is that they cut material out rather than just pushing it to the side, so don’t leave a raised edge either side of the line.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Many thanks for the suggestions gents, it’s needed for mainly cleaning up panel lines etc. Time to shop

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’ve got a Trumpeter one, which works fairly well even if it feels a little cheap. But that’s probably because it was :smiling3:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I have one of those too, but got the Trumpeter scriber because it’s smaller and finer. The Tamiya one, I use mainly as a plastic sheet cutter rather than for scribing lines.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Do I need one ? No not a joke , would it be any use on armour and the like.
I rarely do planes .

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Only if you do a fair bit of scratchbuilding or build planes John. I haven’t used either of mine (I have a Tamiya one for re-scribing panels, and a bigger one from Wikes I use for cutting thicker plastic sheet) for a long time.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Only if you do a fair bit of scratchbuilding or build planes John. I haven’t used either of mine (I have a Tamiya one for re-scribing panels, and a bigger one from Wikes I use for cutting thicker plastic sheet) for a long time.
Thanks Tim, as you know planes aren't my thing , do use some plastic card so might be ok for marking that . What about as a tool for foam board , don't want something too sharp but capable of of doing an imprint say for mortar lines , that sort of thing .

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Not the tool for that John.

They basically cut a square shaped furrow in plastic, but leave no furrow at the sides of the cut. They work best on harder material This sort of sort of scriber would probably just tear foam board, so will not be really useful there. They are very good for making plank lines in plastic card though.

Conventional pointed scribers cut a V shaped furrow leaving ridges either side of the cut, rather like a field plough.

By the way, the best way to cut plastic card (especially the thicker sheets) that I’ve found is to score the line with a sharp knife and then snap the sheet along that line. Usually just known as score and snap….

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
A question for all you Tammy lovers............what is the narrowest line you can scribe with the Tamiya scriber? Would it work in 1/87 scale or produce too wide of a line? TIA :thumb2: Rick H.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
As mentioned above the Tamiya one is a rebranded Olfa P cutter , but cheaper in the Tamiya packaging . Ive got the Olfa version and its a great tool , useful as a scriber and also a cutter too ( i used mine to cut out the tail hook section on the airfix sea hurricane ) . Sometimes its a bit too effective , cutting quite deep on the first pass so like Jakko ive got the trumpeter one too for shallower scribes. Also being from Sheffield of course ive got a couple of Eclipse pocket scribers too .

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
You can actually make one quite easily from an old scalpel blade if you had a mind to. The line produced is the same thickness as the metal used, so in this case will be the thickness of the scalpel.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I've had more success with a sewing machine needle than with a 'proper' modelling scriber.
Pete

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I bought a cheap set of dentists' probes off ebay - double ended, all sorts of curves & twists - not only for scribing, but smoothing filler - I keep on finding new uses - you have to be careful though, they have wicked sharp points
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Those dental tools are very useful to have a couple of different shapes of. I’ve got about half a dozen, I think, and use a few of them a lot and the rest occasionally. I could do without, but for the price (a few euros each at most) I wouldn’t want to.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I have both the Olfa scriber and a MAD one for fine scribing that will work for 1/87 Rick. It keeps it edge and used that to rescribe the planking on the Constipation. Easy neat and no furrows at the sides to clean up. The plastic is cut out in fine spirals. You can cut a deep trench the thickness of the blade if needed. For 1/87 just apply light pressure when cutting.

Cheers,
Richard.