Sharps

ChrisP

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Hi Guys, I have searched on the site and found some very humorous threads but not the answer to my query. What do people do with their sharps when you replace them? I have searched through my council web site for instructions and they only cover needles. I would like to think that I can do this safely.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Guys, I have searched on the site and found some very humorous threads but not the answer to my query. What do people do with their sharps when you replace them? I have searched through my council web site for instructions and they only cover needles. I would like to think that I can do this safely.
HI Chris well i keep my stanley knife blades or any blades in a very strong card board tube as the blades come in handy to put C/A on an slide them under a part that has not glueded properly but that just me an they are safely put out of the way so cannot get cut on them
chris

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim

ChrisP

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Hi Chris
I have a sharps bin like this…
There are plenty of others if you don’t use scalpels. Just search Sharps bin. Don’t get a big one, I take several years to fill this! The council should then just take it as a sharps collection.
Thanks Tim for replying so fast. This looks just the job. Ordered already.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
No probs Chris. I find most of the time it’s just knowing what to look for….but in this case I used these at work for many years….right up until an overzealous safety Elf removed all sharps from the establishment and made us use safe knives!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
No, I was a originally a shift production technician in a scientific establishment…..ended up as a subject matter expert in fermentation for pharmaceutical production…..big title for a job, I used to hate filling in forms that asked for my job title :tongue-out3:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Well I've learned something. I didn't know there was a special way to dispose of scalpel blades. For years I have just taped them up with masking tape and put them in the bin. Off to look at Tim's link.
Jim

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I have a sharps box on the farm. So i just dispose of my blades and needles there :smiling3:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
As a insulin injecting diabetic, I have a sharps box - I stick my used scalpel blades in it, as well as lancets & needles, my local Boots accepts it - although I believe it's not countrywide practice
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I thread used blades on a string that hangs in my hobby room :smiling3: Though by the time I usually change knife blades, they’re no longer sharp anyway.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Mine go into empty food tins in my recycling. Don't shout at me 'cos I know some recycling centres have machines that don't recognise folded cans; but I always fold the lid over to stop animals - particularly cats - from getting their heads stuck trying to get at the dregs of food.

D

Deleted member 5496

1629972339415.png

3:99 on amazon. One has lasted me about 5 years. That includes about changing 5 blades a fortnight.

Also removes blades straight into the box. Although I find it easier & safer with a pair of small pliers.

Should be handed in a the refuse dump who have the facilities. dangerous to put them in the dustbin.

Laurie

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
View attachment 432336

3:99 on amazon. One has lasted me about 5 years. That includes about changing 5 blades a fortnight.

Also removes blades straight into the box. Although I find it easier & safer with a pair of small pliers.

Should be handed in a the refuse dump who have the facilities. dangerous to put them in the dustbin.

Laurie
Exactly the one I have….lasts ages.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
i either wrap in masking tape and drop in the bin or in the sharps bin at work

D

Deleted member 5496

NHS says this.

Do not use other bins

Do not put used needles or other sharps in:

• any type of household bin (for example, a general rubbish bin or a recycling bin)
  • a container that's no longer needed, such as a drinks can or bottle

Needles can cause injuries. Used needles can carry blood-borne viruses that may be passed on to other people.

Viruses that can be passed on through contact with needles include:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
NHS says this.

Do not use other bins

Do not put used needles or other sharps in:

• any type of household bin (for example, a general rubbish bin or a recycling bin)
  • a container that's no longer needed, such as a drinks can or bottle

Needles can cause injuries. Used needles can carry blood-borne viruses that may be passed on to other people.

Viruses that can be passed on through contact with needles include:

That’s only for scalpels and other sharps used for bodily fluids Laurie ;) We would probably pass on plasticitis and scrapers elbow!

gothicgeek

SMF Supporter
First Name
mark
I use an old beer bottle. In over ten years its about half full.
Alcohol free (a passing phase) Beer mind!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
For my modeling blades, I tape them up before disposing. For my Stanney knife blades, well, how tight am I, when it gets blunt, I run it over a stone, and it's ready to go again.