Sharps

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A jumbo box of tic-tac mints once empty makes a good blade holder. (and you get minty fresh breath).

D

Deleted member 5496

That’s only for scalpels and other sharps used for bodily fluids Laurie ;) We would probably pass on plasticitis and scrapers elbow!

Certainly not in Jersey Tim. All metals including sharps are separated. All is sent to the UK for reuse.
They are not allowed in household rubbish includes tins etc.

All our household refuse is incinerated. This used to produce electricity. This is fed in to the Jersey Elecrcity grid.
As an incinerator metals & incombustible items are a no no as they can wreck the working of the incinerator.

Laurie

1630057615737.png

Also thought you should see our state of the art new sewage works.
All in a valley on its own
1630057752222.png

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Fair enough, different area different rules…..yours are better than ours! I actually pass my full container on to my wife who puts them in with the sharps for disposal at her place of work so they go out with medical waste anyway. If necessary the local tips or pharmacy would probably take them as well.

D

Deleted member 5496

Fair enough, different area different rules…..yours are better than ours! I actually pass my full container on to my wife who puts them in with the sharps for disposal at her place of work so they go out with medical waste anyway. If necessary the local tips or pharmacy would probably take them as well.

Mmm senior daughter is a community nurse sure she would do it.

Did you like our new state of the art sewage system. "Looking after us all 107,000."

That is a "load".

Laurie

zuludog

SMF Supporter
I use Swann Morton #3 handles with #10, 10A & 11 blades
They have a hierarchy - new blades are used for cutting decals & canopies; then for cutting & trimming parts; then rougher work like scraping, & applying filler
I only ever use new blades on decals & canopies, but sometimes I will re - sharpen blades for general work, so it takes a while till the blades are finally discarded
Then I tape them up, wrap in thin cardboard, tape again, and put them in the general non recyclable bin

I have Stanley knives, but not for modelling, another of my hobbies is leatherwork. Mostly I use fixed blade leatherworking knives for that, which are meant to be re-sharpened, but I also use a Stanley knife sometimes
I re-sharpen the Stanley knife blades for that, in fact they seem to be better when they are re-sharpened, probably because it reduces the shoulder of the bevel, and polishes them.
Even new Stanley knife blades are better after sharpening & stropping
I also use Stanley knives for general work, so again, I re-sharpen them and I don't often throw them away.